Xm25 punisher

Sublime

Remember this weapon? Since it ended up not being adopted is it going to be in SF2? It actually seemed a really awesome idea and seemed to kickass in game ( though tbh I DID prefer the marine grenade launcher that was like a large revolver theyce been around awhile )

What went wrong in real life? All ISTR is some vague stuff about the shell not having enough kick? Why not use the weapon I mentioned then, or the M79? After all it was very effective and popular though I suppose perhaps redundant with the m203 attachment GL and maybe thats why the Xm25 didnt make it now I think about it.

Thoughts?

M25 CTDE grenade launcher made it into CMBS.
Under the same circumstances as Marine getting M32 MGL in CMSF1, unfortunately. By that I mean the titles were originally billed as 'near future'. All indications were that both weapons were about to be adopted within the game timeframe. Then after the game was released the expected weapon acquisition plan fizzled. M32 at least got revived as the longer range M32A1 and is now being more widely fielded.

I read/heard somewhere that XM25 fizzled because 25mm airburst was just not particularly effective. Because it was... you know... 25mm. And carrying the weapon meant one less rifleman in the squad (which was also a complaint about M32).

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

Remember this weapon? Since it ended up not being adopted is it going to be in SF2? It actually seemed a really awesome idea and seemed to kickass in game ( though tbh I DID prefer the marine grenade launcher that was like a large revolver theyce been around awhile )

What went wrong in real life? All ISTR is some vague stuff about the shell not having enough kick? Why not use the weapon I mentioned then, or the M79? After all it was very effective and popular though I suppose perhaps redundant with the m203 attachment GL and maybe thats why the Xm25 didnt make it now I think about it.

Thoughts?

If I remember correctly there was only one grenadier w/ M79 in a Marine rifle platoon (that was before my time in the infantry). When I joined a rifle platoon in the Reserves, they had the M203. That's one 40mm Grenadier vs nine 40mm M203 in a platoon. Major change in firepower!. I believe with the later multishot 40mm grenade launcher, ably the Squad Leader carried it. I don't know if they did away with the M203s at that point.

@Vet 0369. People I know who were variously a marine grunt in fallujah nov 04, and 2 army inf MOS guys who were in Afghan in 2010 and 2012 all saw m203s heavily used. AFAIK theyre still used.  Afghanistans interesting though, they reissued m14s (arnd 1 or 2 a squad IIRC) because the distances and mudwalls etc though

I FORGOT the it was only 25mm! So second question - WTF?

I highly doubt bradley rounds are cross compatible and it breaks with tradition of 40mm..