Multicam 3rd Infantry Division

2 hours ago, sburke said:

@IICptMillerII Now that these are up @Mord and I are discussing his unit portraits and trying to figure out what makes sense.  With the Army Bde structure my guess is unit regiment may make the most sense without having the Reg/Division portraits he used to do as it doesn't really apply anymore.  Not sure though - looks like we need feedback for vets as to what would make most sense, be most appealing and useful. 

My advice would be to stick with divisional insignia in most cases. Its still the predominant form of insignia identification and is the majority of what you'll see. The only exception to this are independent regiments, such as the 2nd and 3rd Cavalry Regiments, and the 173rd Airborne brigade to name a few. SF units like Rangers and Green berets have their own identification as well, but all of that sounds like it would be way too much work. Making portraits for regular infantry battalions/regiments would be overkill in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

My advice would be to stick with divisional insignia in most cases. Its still the predominant form of insignia identification and is the majority of what you'll see. The only exception to this are independent regiments, such as the 2nd and 3rd Cavalry Regiments, and the 173rd Airborne brigade to name a few. SF units like Rangers and Green berets have their own identification as well, but all of that sounds like it would be way too much work. Making portraits for regular infantry battalions/regiments would be overkill in my opinion. 

I was kind of leaning that way, but how about for airborne units?

Edited by sburke

For the 82nd and 101st it would just be the division insignia. If you want to get more specific you could do the card suits for some of the 101st regiments. The 82nd is pretty uniform. There is an airborne brigade with the 25th infantry division up in Alaska but they would also just use division insignia. The 173rd Airborne brigade is the only regular Army airborne unit that uses its brigade insignia because it is an independent brigade, meaning it isn't part of a division. In theater it is generally a corps level asset, meaning the corps commander uses them how he sees fit. Same with the cavalry regiments. But as far as insignia goes you basically treat them the same as you would divisional insignia. The brigade patch is used instead of the division patch. 

16 minutes ago, Mord said:

Yes, Mord likes that answer.

However, now the question is what divisions fall under Stryker, Heavy infantry etc.?

Mord.

Any.  Depends on what unit is assigned to a brigade.  Betcha don't like that answer. The modular brigade formations allow for anything to be attached based on the mission.  The exception being the Airborne divisions have more limited attachments, but Airborne units can be attached to Brigades of the other divisions.

Edited by sburke

WTF? LOL. You are giving me a headache! Ok, so I just make division portraits for ALL Army types? Say 1st Div Stryker, 1st Div Heavy Infantry, 1st Div Infantry? Armor will still be under Arm Div, yeah LOL?

Airborne can go under what, Infantry and/or?

So, this is WWII structure correct (minus all the engineer attachments etc. stuff)?:

(Infantry) Division

A.) Regiment > a1.) Battalion a2.) Battalion a3.) Battalion

B.) Regiment > b1.) Battalion b2.) Battalion b3.) Battalion

C.) Regiment > c1.) Battalion c2.) Battalion c3.) Battalion

My formation portraits for BN and FI went Background Division/Small Patch Regiment

Now what does modern structure look like?

I can get a little more defined for SF2 and do Background Brigade/Small Patch Division. That's not that big a deal. MUCH less work than the WWII stuff from what I am guessing, just more confusing since I haven't attempted it yet.

LOL. I don't think 5% of the people even use the s*** to be honest but I like being thorough. There's a certain pride in the detail.

last question is what divisions would be included? I know they won't be full divisions strength wise but I need an idea so I know what patches I'll be using.

Mord.

12 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Here's one suggestion if folks don't mind me promoting my own work. :)

That's pretty helpful. I'll have to look it over more once I know how I am going about this.

People, refer future replies here so we don't completely kill IICptMillerII's thread.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

36 minutes ago, Mord said:

WTF? LOL. You are giving me a headache! Ok, so I just make division portraits for ALL Army types? Say 1st Div Stryker, 1st Div Heavy Infantry, 1st Div Infantry? Armor will still be under Arm Div, yeah LOL?

Airborne can go under what, Infantry and/or?

So, this is WWII structure correct (minus all the engineer attachments etc. stuff)?:

(Infantry) Division

A.) Regiment > a1.) Battalion a2.) Battalion a3.) Battalion

B.) Regiment > b1.) Battalion b2.) Battalion b3.) Battalion

C.) Regiment > c1.) Battalion c2.) Battalion c3.) Battalion

My formation portraits for BN and FI went Background Division/Small Patch Regiment

Now what does modern structure look like?

I can get a little more defined for SF2 and do Background Brigade/Small Patch Division. That's not that big a deal. MUCH less work than the WWII stuff from what I am guessing, just more confusing since I haven't attempted it yet.

LOL. I don't think 5% of the people even use the s*** to be honest but I like being thorough. There's a certain pride in the detail.

last question is what divisions would be included? I know they won't be full divisions strength wise but I need an idea so I know what patches I'll be using.

Mord.

I'll probably be corrected, but generally there isn't a Division "type" anymore.  Units are attached to Brigades and Brigades to Divisions so there is the possibility for example of airborne infantry assigned to a brigade that is attached to a Division that in normal standard might just be "armor" and Heavy Infantry"

As an example "Within a few months after the initial invasion of Iraq, the 1st Battalion, 16th Infantry made its first deployment in the Global War on Terrorism. In August 2003, the Iron Rangers, equipped as a standard Bradley Fighting Vehicle-equipped battalion, deployed with the 1st Brigade to Ramadi, Anbar Province, in western Iraq. The brigade was initially attached to the 82nd Airborne Division and took over Area of Operations (AO) Topeka on 26 September"

In that situation you'd have Heavy Infantry under the 82nd Airborne...…  The 2nd ID currently is organized with Stryker Brigades, but depending on it's mission you could just as easily have Armor, Mech Inf or Airborne units attached.  I guess my question is despite it being attached to the 82nd, would folks still consider it a 1st ID unit?

Just completely forget WW2 organizational Structure.  

As to Divisions I think we are just talking Army here. Marine structure and needs I think would still reflect regimental units.  Currently Cpt Miller has unit patches for 82nd, 101st, 1st Cav, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 25th Divisions.  Might see the 1st ID yet, 10th Mtn, 36th ID and maybe others.  Then there are the Cav Regiments.

Edited by sburke

13 hours ago, sburke said:

I'll probably be corrected, but generally there isn't a Division "type" anymore.  Units are attached to Brigades and Brigades to Divisions so there is the possibility for example of airborne infantry assigned to a brigade that is attached to a Division that in normal standard might just be "armor" and Heavy Infantry"

As an example "Within a few months after the initial invasion of Iraq, the 1st Battalion, 16th Infantry made its first deployment in the Global War on Terrorism. In August 2003, the Iron Rangers, equipped as a standard Bradley Fighting Vehicle-equipped battalion, deployed with the 1st Brigade to Ramadi, Anbar Province, in western Iraq. The brigade was initially attached to the 82nd Airborne Division and took over Area of Operations (AO) Topeka on 26 September"

In that situation you'd have Heavy Infantry under the 82nd Airborne...…  The 2nd ID currently is organized with Stryker Brigades, but depending on it's mission you could just as easily have Armor, Mech Inf or Airborne units attached.  I guess my question is despite it being attached to the 82nd, would folks still consider it a 1st ID unit?

Just completely forget WW2 organizational Structure.  

As to Divisions I think we are just talking Army here. Marine structure and needs I think would still reflect regimental units.  Currently Cpt Miller has unit patches for 82nd, 101st, 1st Cav, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 25th Divisions.  Might see the 1st ID yet, 10th Mtn, 36th ID and maybe others.  Then there are the Cav Regiments.

Brigades still have regular division assignments. For example the 1/16 INF you mentioned would still wear the 3rd INF DIV patch as that's their home division. However, when they hit 30 days in theater, they would be authorized to wear the 82nd OR 3rd ID as a combat patch.

2 minutes ago, Splinty said:

Brigades still have regular division assignments. For example the 1/16 INF you mentioned would still wear the 3rd INF DIV patch as that's their home division. However, when they hit 30 days in theater, they would be authorized to wear the 82nd OR 3rd ID as a combat patch.

oh sure make it even more confusing!!!  LOL

The other way I was leaning was to have regimental portraits.  The advantage would be if you have say an Airborne infantry unit and an Armor unit in the same scenario, they would be able to have separate regimental portraits.  With Divisional portraits all units in the scenario would have the same portrait.  You could theoretically do that even with Divisional, but not with mod tags... or at least not without complicated mod tags.

Edited by sburke

Just now, sburke said:

oh sure make it even more confusing!!!  LOL

I know, right! To make it even MORE complicated, depending what assignments a unit has, they may be authorized to wear more than one combat for one tour. For example, in '03-'04, my signal company was assigned to 22nd Sig Brigade, 1st Corps, and 101st Airborne. On paper I was allowed to wear ANY of their patches as combat patches. In reality I only wore 22nd Sig Brigades, as patches cost money, and I'm cheap!

1 minute ago, Splinty said:

I know, right! To make it even MORE complicated, depending what assignments a unit has, they may be authorized to wear more than one combat for one tour. For example, in '03-'04, my signal company was assigned to 22nd Sig Brigade, 1st Corps, and 101st Airborne. On paper I was allowed to wear ANY of their patches as combat patches. In reality I only wore 22nd Sig Brigades, as patches cost money, and I'm cheap!

LOL the US military believes in pay to play?!

1 minute ago, Mord said:

I'll just kill myself now.

Mord.

well if you think about it is a total of 40 portraits total for those 10 Divisions plus maybe a couple more regimental of Bde ones... beats what you did for the other titles by a long shot :D and of course you are now obligated to do one for the 22nd Sig Bde.  :P 

@Mord for simplicity sake, here is a quick breakdown of the modern modular brigade structure.

There are 3 types of brigades. Infantry Brigade Combat Team (IBCT) Stryker Brigade Combat Team (SBCT) and Armored Brigade Combat Team (ABCT). Generally speaking, these brigades do not have their own divisional insignia. There can be multiple types of BCTs in a division, but they all use the same divisional insignia. A good example of this is 4th ID, which currently has 1 IBCT, 1 SBCT, and 1 ABCT. However all of the soldiers display the 4th ID patch for recognition. Airborne units are IBCTs.

So I would recommend keeping it simple. Stick with division level insignia for the portraits. I'm pretty sure the game only distinguishes between "light" and "heavy" infantry in the UI (light being infantry/stryker and heavy being mechanized) so how you want to display that in your portraits is more up to you. Otherwise I would stick to just division, and then if someone has a specific request for a specific unit for a campaign or something, you could consider doing commissions. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Rayniz1691 said:

Which folder do I put it in? Sorry I haven't played CM since CMSF1 10 years ago.

Extract the "3rd ID Multicam" folder into a folder named "Z" that goes in the "Data" folder in the CMSF2 directory. 

For example, my address path looks like this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\Data\z

Edited by IICptMillerII

• 4 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:45 PM, IICptMillerII said:

Yeah I can show the dorito chip some love as well.

Right now I'm planning on doing:

• 2nd Infantry Division
  • 4th Infantry Division
  • 1st Cavalry Division
  • 101st Airborne (Air Assault) Division
    • I'll probably throw in the Rakassans as well
  • 1st Armored Division

The ETA is the dreaded soon at the moment. I have to find the time to sit down and bang em out. Shouldn't be too difficult once I have the time though.

any chance of the 10th Mountain making the list?  :D