Upgrade price: I'm sorry, but you guys are insane :) :D

Admittedly, I've been a good a good customer over the years - I think I've bought all the CM games, modules and packs except Afghanistan - but this price is insane.

First I bought the Shock Force 1 big bundle on special for the price of a restaurant meal for two, and now you've basically sold me the Big Bundle upgrade for the price of a takeaway curry and Naan!

I don't know how you expect to make a living - but thank you though :)

6 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

Admittedly, I've been a good a good customer over the years - I think I've bought all the CM games, modules and packs except Afghanistan - but this price is insane.

First I bought the Shock Force 1 big bundle on special for the price of a restaurant meal for two, and now you've basically sold me the Big Bundle upgrade for the price of a takeaway curry and Naan!

I don't know how you expect to make a living - but thank you though :)

STOP! ... you are making me hungry. (Can you have take-away curry and Naan for breke?)

Very impressed that my purchase, what 10 years ago (?), got me CMSF2 for the 2018 price of 2 pints of beer. 🍺 (which goes great with curry)

Not a great deal for those of us that didn't purchase the SF1 modules however.  $15 for the base game is a no-brainer, but $105 ($145 CDN) for the module bundle isn't going to happen.  I have several steam games in my library that need some love first 😉 Maybe when the modules get discounted I'll come back to them.

2 hours ago, aleader said:

Not a great deal for those of us that didn't purchase the SF1 modules however.  $15 for the base game is a no-brainer, but $105 ($145 CDN) for the module bundle isn't going to happen.  I have several steam games in my library that need some love first 😉 Maybe when the modules get discounted I'll come back to them.

good luck on that.  CM is a game you play for years.  If you can find that same value at the price on Steam then hats off to you.  

We agree we're insane.  But the good kind of insane ;)  The kind that appreciates its customers by putting its money where its mouth is.  We don't expect to lose money on CMSF2, but we do expect to earn a lot less than we otherwise could of if we only sold the full priced versions.  And that's OK even though it took a LOT longer to make this happen than we thought it would.  Thankfully we don't have to do it again!

We do not discount our games over time like happens elsewhere.  However, we do offer Bundle prices.  The Three Module Bundle is $90, which is a $15 savings.  Er, now that I activated it to be visible to you guys.  Missed that one when I made everything live the other night.

Steve

14 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

We agree we're insane.  But the good kind of insane ;)  The kind that appreciates its customers by putting its money where its mouth is.

Well, I've already given you some money for CMSF2 upgrade, so whenever you feel like having some more, just throw a bone or two out there.

1682424201_TakeMyMoney.thumb.jpg.5017d943aae04a75d49abe05d02328a8.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:59 PM, sburke said:

good luck on that.  CM is a game you play for years.  If you can find that same value at the price on Steam then hats off to you.  

I've been playing this since 2000, so I know how long it's been around.  Lots of excellent, long-term games on Steam.  DCS World, Squad, all of the Graviteam games, Battle Academy 1 and 2, Order of Battle, the Total War games, and my current favorite, Frostpunk, which cost me $22 CDN.  There's also the Civilization games, and the newer IL2 games, which are excellent.  Need I go on? I also love the Dirt games (Rally - $10, and Dirt 3, which was free on Steam) and Euro Truck 2 and ATS, which cost me a grand total of $36 with all DLC.  Picked up both FC3 and Black Shark 2 for $42 CDN in one of the sales last year.  Don't know if I'll live long enough to play them all! 

Unfortunately for small developers, Steam has raised expectations on price and discounts.  I can't believe how many times in forums I've read that $19 is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!  Crazy.  Same argument goes on over at the Steel Beast forums, although they have come out with a much more palatable pricing format of late.  Battlefront releases excellent demos.  Graviteam and Eagle Dynamics moved to Steam...not sure how it's working out for them, but they can take advantage of the 'impulse buyers' like myself that seem to collect games just because they're on sale 😀  Do I play all these all the time?  No, don't have the free time with a wife and 2 kids.  Is this game worth it at the price?  If it's all you play, maybe. 

Edited by aleader

1 minute ago, aleader said:

Is this game worth it at the price?  If it's all you play, maybe.  I just can't play the same thing all the time.

Well that is always the question and the answer is different for everyone... a wife and two kids and you still manage to play any of those?  Dang not sure how you manage that.  I introduced my neighbor to CM and he is in the same situation as you.  He loves the game but yeah he has no real time to play.

I don't have the kid issue for time, but I find that most other games bore me relatively fast.  There are so many different ways for me to mess with CM I haven't hit that wall yet.  Then again map making is something I really enjoy that isn't necessarily a "game" thing.  There is no winning or losing, just creation.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:53 PM, Battlefront.com said:

We do not discount our games over time like happens elsewhere.  However, we do offer Bundle prices.  The Three Module Bundle is $90, which is a $15 savings.  Er, now that I activated it to be visible to you guys.  Missed that one when I made everything live the other night.

Steve

No, but the bundled discount for the SF1 DLC was discounted to about $40 I think?  That's when I should have grabbed it, but figured it would be there forever.

4 minutes ago, sburke said:

Well that is always the question and the answer is different for everyone... a wife and two kids and you still manage to play any of those?  Dang not sure how you manage that.  I introduced my neighbor to CM and he is in the same situation as you.  He loves the game but yeah he has no real time to play.

I don't have the kid issue for time, but I find that most other games bore me relatively fast.  There are so many different ways for me to mess with CM I haven't hit that wall yet.  Then again map making is something I really enjoy that isn't necessarily a "game" thing.  There is no winning or losing, just creation.

As the kids get older, it gets easier...then the wife becomes the major issue 😉  I just recently built myself a cockpit/racing chair setup and haven't used it more than twice.  If I had a nickel for every time my wife commented on how she hates it in the basement though, I'd be retired already!

Edited by aleader

Steam is equivalent to Walmart in that it has changed people's perception of value for goods and caused produces to a "rush to the bottom" approach.  It is not good for anybody long term because it depresses quality and discourages innovation.  If we lower prices we have to raise our sales volume proportionally.  Because of the niche products we make, that simply won't work.  Who knows, maybe keeping our prices where they are won't work out for us long term, but there's at least a reasonable argument to make that it has the potential to.  In business, as in life, it's better to choose a path that has a chance of getting you to a happy place rather than selecting the one you know leads straight to a cliff's edge.

I don't want to turn this into the 101st argument about why Steam isn't a good fit for us, however this recent article vindicates many of the things I've said in the previous 100 times it's been discussed:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-12-04-steam-is-under-attack-from-all-sides

And more in this article on Steam's new rival service from Epic:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-12-04-epic-launching-store-with-88-percent-revenue-share-for-developers

Steve

I also have IL-2 (with all the addons and preorders) and Rise of flight on Steam, but I bought most on the developer's web sites during sales. I would rather pay a little more to make sure the developers get all of the money for the content. I too have DCS with everything except a couple of aircraft, but I bought everything from ED for the same reason stated above. Plus, after the licensing changes, new purchases for DCS on Steam can't be used on the ED DCS version, just the Steam version. I understand the cost factors. When my wife left her job to devote full time to raising our son, we lost 60% of our combined income. So, for 25 years before we retired, we were a one-income family. Want some real fun? First flight in a Gazelle, in VR!😖

19 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

I also have IL-2 (with all the addons and preorders) and Rise of flight on Steam, but I bought most on the developer's web sites during sales. I would rather pay a little more to make sure the developers get all of the money for the content. I too have DCS with everything except a couple of aircraft, but I bought everything from ED for the same reason stated above. Plus, after the licensing changes, new purchases for DCS on Steam can't be used on the ED DCS version, just the Steam version. I understand the cost factors. When my wife left her job to devote full time to raising our son, we lost 60% of our combined income. So, for 25 years before we retired, we were a one-income family. Want some real fun? First flight in a Gazelle, in VR!😖

ED is an interesting one as they still release on their website first, and then release on Steam a week or so later(?).  I imagine the hardcore guys buy first from ED and then everyone else on Steam.  DCS would certainly be classified as a 'niche' product.  I don't profess to know how it works out for them.  Once you've committed to Steam it's very difficult to get off of it.  Several of the games are of high quality, they have an excellent refund policy, sales are cheap and it's just so convenient to keep games updated and reinstall whenever and wherever without licensing hassles.  Like it or not, it's where most PC games are.  I've read all the arguments for and against from players and developers.  Unfortunately society has chosen Wal Mart/Amazon as the model to the bitter end...and it will end when nobody has a job.  Game developers likely have to band together to force Steam to stop screwing them.  If you're waiting for society to come to their senses...

Edited by aleader

Well, if you read the links that Steve provide, the Barbarians are already beating on the gates of Steam. It should be interesting to watch what transpires, and yes, there are many reasons why people use Steam, but cost seems to be the major one, the same as Wal-Mart.