Semper Fi Campaign glitch

Platoons that include the HQ in the first squad have a unique UI because the team list view (below) doesn't have enough space for the team / formation list that normal HQ units have. For those units you will see a little HQ symbol in the lower right of the team list view. Click on that to switch HQ views.
20190422074007-903040a4.png

Once you click on the HQ above your view now looks like below. The second and third (if there is one) team are no longer shown and you can see the HQ UI. Clicking on the HQ in the upper right will switch back to the squad view above.
20190422074005-d5fa12e8.png

Your screen shot shows the HQ view but you don't have an HQ link - which is odd. Try clicking on that upper left corner of the HQ Flag icon pane where the HQ link shown in my screen shot would be on your game. Hopefully that will switch to squad view and you will see the casualty fee second team.

7 hours ago, IanL said:

Platoons that include the HQ in the first squad have a unique UI because the team list view (below) doesn't have enough space for the team / formation list that normal HQ units have. For those units you will see a little HQ symbol in the lower right of the team list view. Click on that to switch HQ views.
Once you click on the HQ above your view now looks like below. The second and third (if there is one) team are no longer shown and you can see the HQ UI. Clicking on the HQ in the upper right will switch back to the squad view above.
Your screen shot shows the HQ view but you don't have an HQ link - which is odd. Try clicking on that upper left corner of the HQ Flag icon pane where the HQ link shown in my screen shot would be on your game. Hopefully that will switch to squad view and you will see the casualty fee second team.

Ah, with that HQ button things start to make sense. Thanks for explaining that.

It seems that in Quick Battles - after action map review this button is never visible for large ENEMY HQ teams. Clicking on the area where the button is supposed to be has no effect. The HQ button does show up when the HQ team is on the player's side, and works fine there.

• 1 month later...

This evening I wanted to do a quick battle with the US Marines. Force selection set to "mix", automatic.

3 out of 4 times the computer automatic force selection decided to spend most of its points on  Assault Amphibious Vehicles (AAV). So I looked at these and was thinking: These AAVs have Javelins in their stores, so that gives me a chance against the usual Syrian tank rush (mix force automatic). But pretty much every AAV comes without  infantry team, just a small crew. So I was even micromanaging to the point of bailing them out and trying to turn them into a Javelin team. Well... it turned bad pretty quickly.

As it is, I suspect  the automatic Marines Mix force is glitched and better avoided for the player or AI force.

• 2 weeks later...

The above Marine AAV force selection problem seems to still occur in v2.02.Which is what I expected, but one can hope...

I noticed another small glitch in Black Sea this time, but I will just put it here with the other posts I made:

"Open (1792x816) 244" map being a forest instead, see the 2-part screenshot below:

BlackSea-Open-Forest.jpg.b1dc73342fcce43dbf2bb9d8ac08f0d8.jpg

On 6/3/2019 at 5:20 PM, Kevin2k said:

This evening I wanted to do a quick battle with the US Marines. Force selection set to "mix", automatic.

3 out of 4 times the computer automatic force selection decided to spend most of its points on  Assault Amphibious Vehicles (AAV). So I looked at these and was thinking: These AAVs have Javelins in their stores, so that gives me a chance against the usual Syrian tank rush (mix force automatic). But pretty much every AAV comes without  infantry team, just a small crew. So I was even micromanaging to the point of bailing them out and trying to turn them into a Javelin team. Well... it turned bad pretty quickly.

As it is, I suspect  the automatic Marines Mix force is glitched and better avoided for the player or AI force.

Not quite sure what you are saying here. Is it that the AI isn’t “smart” enough to pick a reasonably appropriate mix of troops and vehicles? What are your force selection criteria? Are they Infantry, or mechanized, or armor, etc? If I’m not mistaken, even after the AI selects it’s forces, you can go in and edit them. In the case of Marine javelins, unlike the squad level Army teams, anti-tank teams are at, I believe (it’s more than 40 years since I was in the USMC, and before javelins were even invented), at a Battalion level, and are usually assigned as reinforcing teams to a Company or platoon, so you must select the teams separately and add them to the lower level formation. Also, if you select a transportation unit, you will get only the vehicles and crew, not infantry. That’s true of all the CM families.

I also seem to remember a QB selection of “Suggest” or something like that that definitely allows you to edit the force selection.

Edited by Vet 0369

26 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

Not quite sure what you are saying here. Is it that the AI isn’t “smart” enough to pick a reasonably appropriate mix of troops and vehicles? 

In case of the Marines, with a "Mix" Force: Usually Yes.

(Edit: "Mix" is an actual setting in the setup screen. I actually had a discussion years ago, with Steve, about what Mix seemed to do at the time of the v3.0 games, and what I think it should be doing. I am happy to say that Since the v4.0 Upgrades "Mix" usually gives a mix of Armor and Infantry, and that is great)

It is not "reasonably appropriate", since all these AAVs without their infantry don't stand a chance. I did not see such extremely unpractical force selection with the other factions: US, British, German, Canadian, Dutch , Syrian.

Adjusting the Force manually is of course an option, and I recommend that for the USMC in particular. Still 1) Some randomness gives a nice variety  2) I don't want to know beforehand what force the opposing side (AI) will get.

Edited by Kevin2k

6 minutes ago, Kevin2k said:

In case of the Marines, with a "Mix" Force: Usually Yes.

It is not "reasonably appropriate", since all these AAVs without their infantry don't stand a chance. I did not see such extremely unpractical force selection with the other factions: US, British, German, Canadian, Dutch , Syrian.

Adjusting the Force manually is of course an option, and I recommend that for the USMC in particular. Still 1) Some randomness gives a nice variety  2) I don't want to know beforehand what force the opposing side (AI) will get.

Thank you. I haven’t tried a Marine QB yet. I feel from automatic selection in QB’s in other families, that one usually has to “tweak” the selection to avoid the situation you stated. However, you can do an automatic selection for your Red Force, and not see it’s composition.

2 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

Thank you. I haven’t tried a Marine QB yet. I feel from automatic selection in QB’s in other families, that one usually has to “tweak” the selection to avoid the situation you stated. However, you can do an automatic selection for your Red Force, and not see it’s composition.

Yeah, also consider that one may want to play as Syrians (Player) against USMC (AI). At least, I do sometimes.

Whenever I start tweaking my force I always end up using my favorite force composition anyways, which gets a bit old.

I added some more info at  "Edit:" in my previous post.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:36 PM, Vet 0369 said:

Steve, Semper Fi campaign; Recon Scout/Snipers, the Asst Ldrs are equipped with M-302s that weren't in the inventory in 2008. I haven't been able to check the rest of the Scout/Snipers in the other Semper Fi missions, because I'm still in the first mission.

Steve Et Al, good job on changing in the Marine infantry to M203s in v202. Unfortunately, the Marine Recon Scout teams in the Semper Fi Syria still have M320 grenade launchers. As I pointed out last December, the M320 wasn’t part of any Marine TO&E in 2008.

Edited by Vet 0369

• 9 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 10:42 PM, sburke said:

The Dutch Campaign is still being revamped so corrections wouldn't necessarily apply as a lot of the setup is baked in to the CMSF1 version.

@sburke, now that the campaign is revised, Dutch forces still seem to be missing radio's, I thuoght to follow up 😉

Do you know whether this issue is 'confirmed' already?

Edited by Lethaface

On 3/24/2020 at 6:05 AM, Lethaface said:

@sburke, now that the campaign is revised, Dutch forces still seem to be missing radio's, I thuoght to follow up 😉

Do you know whether this issue is 'confirmed' already?

No idea. Been a bit swamped lately. My team in IT manages all the remote telecom and video capability so to say things are busy is a bit of an understatement 🤪

1 hour ago, sburke said:

No idea. Been a bit swamped lately. My team in IT manages all the remote telecom and video capability so to say things are busy is a bit of an understatement 🤪

Thanks for the answer, I can understand you are swamped currently. 😅 Have been working from the house since some time, but I use the conference capability instead of providing it 😉

It is sort of productive not being disturbed by the typical office things all the time, although whole day conferencing / working together over audio is quite intensive. And it's different on a social level :D

So, good luck with work! 

In the meantime I read Steve posted about the issue, so good hopes it will be resolved in next patch. 

• 2 months later...

Hi, came back to CM after a long time and currently playing the Semper Fi campaign, apparently the no reinforcement issue has not been resolved as it hit me at the Flirting with Disaster mission

Is it just me or is this still pending?

I´m on v.2.02

Thanks

On 6/10/2020 at 4:19 PM, ChrisND said:

I'm taking notes here guys, thanks.

Hi, thanks

Just finished Semper Fi, another thing I noted is that there weren't any 81mm mortars, although they are mention at the briefings sometimes, don't remember if it was the case for SF1 too

Reinforcements never arrived in last mission either (CAAT platoon IIRC)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 3:19 PM, ChrisND said:

I'm taking notes here guys, thanks.

Oh wow! Good thing I popped in to this thread after a year’s absence. May I extend an extremely hearty and heartfelt WELCOME BACK!!!

• BFCElvis unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 6/3/2019 at 11:20 PM, Kevin2k said:

For completeness:

CMSF2 v2.04 patch level no longer has the AAV problem I described earlier: QB, US Marines, mix force, automatic selection -> is now quite good, infantry with HMMWVs, LAV-25s and sometimes an M1 Abrams. Awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Since the above mentioned issue was fixed so nicely. Maybe have a look at a similar thing for the UK forces. It is not as bad as the it was with the US Marines faction, but the game logic spends like 90+% of its points on scimitar recon vehicles in 'sabre troop' armored formations. With QB auto mix force that is.

For now I just have to enable 'human' selection of forces and click 'suggestion' until the sabre troop entries diminish.

On 9/14/2020 at 7:49 PM, Kevin2k said:

For completeness:

CMSF2 v2.04 patch level no longer has the AAV problem I described earlier: QB, US Marines, mix force, automatic selection -> is now quite good, infantry with HMMWVs, LAV-25s and sometimes an M1 Abrams. Awesome!

Darn. Now I find the game still does this very regularly. Fielding loads of AAV's without infantry.... Confused...

On 9/29/2020 at 10:55 PM, Kevin2k said:

Darn. Now I find the game still does this very regularly. Fielding loads of AAV's without infantry.... Confused...

Ah. The difference is that with a 'tiny' force the AAV formations are never selected. With a 'small' or larger force they are. So when testing such the force size has to be considered.

• 2 weeks later...