Is there not a difference in armored protection, between different tanks?

Yeah, the graph is certainly "use at your own risk". Not all HEAT missile weapons are made equal, and neither are all tank cannons or auto-cannons. It is important to note that armour estimates are more likely to overestimate protection than underestimate it. This is a huge problem in real life (just as relevant now as it was in WW2), that tankers are aware of and train for. Maneuver and terrain features are your AFV's main protection -- armour is a last resort and I would not really rely on it.

The graph can be useful for comparing AFV's side, top, and back armour to the front. Just to get a sense of its vulnerabilities. My advice is to take any threat to armour VERY seriously. An autocannon will destroy your optics, weapons and tracks -- so will an RPG hit. A NATO supertank with meters of effective HEAT and kinetic protection is utterly useless if it is immobile, blind or weaponless. IFVs and APCs are similarly vulnerable to HMGs, especially the AP-focused 14.5mms.

Oh -- and heavy artillery and IEDs can pretty much render any crewman to jelly.

11 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

In the CMSF2 BETA AAR I had an M1A1 hit a Challenger II on the front turret and that shot bounced.. however, fire from another Challenger II easily penetrated an M1A1.  There is much more beneath the skin of this game than you may realize @Armorgunner .

For an example, and this is WW2 related, but if you read the following post which is a quote from Charles:  CMBN BETA AAR - An Explanation you will see a comparison between the Sherman and the Pz IV and I think you, as an armor gunner, will appreciate the subtleties in armor protection, quality of armor plate, and angle of shot that this engine simulates.  The modern games, CMSF2 and CMBS go to the same lengths to simulate reality as closely as possible.

Bil

"and I think you, as an armor gunner, will appreciate the subtleties in armor protection" 

I know. This is a quote, of a quote. But anyway!

To to be clear. I Was doing my military service as a gunner, of an IFV (  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansarbandvagn_302 ) When I stayed in the rapidly decreasing size of the army in the first half of the 90´s. As a NCO later on I was the commander, In the PBV 302. And Strv 104 ( Modified centurion with (in the case of war) Swedish made ERA. Developed with the first US made "Blazer ERA" in mind. So only effective  against HEAT munitions. After education to 2nd lieutenant. I came right in to the beginning of the trials for new Swedish tank. Which ended up with the Leopard 2S "Strv 122". And the last years in service, as a second lieutenant, I was a commander of a platoon of Strv 121 (Leo 2A4) Which Sweden bought 160 of, in the deal whith Germany, together with the 120 Strv 122 (Enhanced Leo 2S A5) 

All tanks in the very comprehensive testing, were equipped with Heavy Swedish "Åkers krutbruk" made addon armour. So all tests was made with that armour applied to the modules, being fired uppon. 

But since the Army Went down from 850.000 in the late ´80s. To 400.000 in the second half of the 90´s. To todays army of just 40.000 total.. So today, and for a long time. I am not in service.

(Edit: All numbers are the total Armed forces. Not just the army, sorry for that)

Edited by Armorgunner

12 hours ago, Armorgunner said:

"and I think you, as an armor gunner, will appreciate the subtleties in armor protection" 

I know. This is a quote, of a quote. But anyway!

To to be clear. I Was doing my military service as a gunner, of an IFV (  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansarbandvagn_302 ) When I stayed in the rapidly decreasing size of the army in the first half of the 90´s. As a NCO later on I was the commander, In the PBV 302. And Strv 104 ( Modified centurion with (in the case of war) Swedish made ERA. Developed with the first US made "Blazer ERA" in mind. So only effective  against HEAT munitions. After education to 2nd lieutenant. I came right in to the beginning of the trials for new Swedish tank. Which ended up with the Leopard 2S "Strv 122". And the last years in service, as a second lieutenant, I was a commander of a platoon of Strv 121 (Leo 2A4) Which Sweden bought 160 of, in the deal whith Germany, together with the 120 Strv 122 (Enhanced Leo 2S A5) 

All tanks in the very comprehensive testing, were equipped with Heavy Swedish "Åkers krutbruk" made addon armour. So all tests was made with that armour applied to the modules, being fired uppon. 

But since the Army Went down from 850.000 in the late ´80s. To 400.000 in the second half of the 90´s. To todays army of just 40.000 total.. So today, and for a long time. I am not in service.

(Edit: All numbers are the total Armed forces. Not just the army, sorry for that)

I appreciate that.  Its always good to learn people's background.  This is an insensitive medium and you never really know anybody's history or where they are coming from professionally or mentally...

It is quite scary that Sweden has reduced their armed forces to 40,000 personnel... I'm sure those defense dollars are all going to keep the rising sea levels at bay.  ;) 

Let us know how you get on with this game.

Bil