Upfront

StieliAlpha

6 hours ago, Erwin said:

Interesting.  Altho back when I was a fanatic cardboard wargamer, I couldn't get into this game at all.  I liked moving counters on a map!

It was the same for me, until I played Upfront at a convention for the first time.

Before, I could not get used to the thought, that e.g. terrain features suddenly pop up on the table. The key was to somehow narrate a story as you played. Now, that I think of it, actually quite similar to what @Bud Backer describes for QB’s

Maybe it's a similar reason why I could never get into D&D - my imagination doesn't run that way.  Eg: After CM came out and one got the experience of moving 3D units around - like miniatures - I found it hard hard to play a top down 2D wargame.  Altho am loving Grigsby's WITPAE currently.  But that's a grand strategy game with tactical features.

On 12/1/2018 at 1:07 AM, StieliAlpha said:

It was the same for me, until I played Upfront at a convention for the first time.

Before, I could not get used to the thought, that e.g. terrain features suddenly pop up on the table. The key was to somehow narrate a story as you played. Now, that I think of it, actually quite similar to what @Bud Backer describes for QB’s

:) I have a very active imagination... 

Making CM a bit more than just a tactical exercise makes for a more interesting experience - for me. I know most others are more pragmatic - which has its advantages. ;)