Getting into map making

homewrecker

23 minutes ago, homewrecker said:

As I've added objects to the map, I haven't noticed significant increase in load times.  Maybe a second or tow.  Still a lot to add though.  I've added the elevations I wanted for specific parts of the map.  I am going to start a new thread in the CMBS mods forum with my progress on this QB map.  Have made some good headway.

You shouldn't run into any problems on a 768x720 map unless you go mad with flavour objects and/or have a force of a battalion on each side all firing at once which will cause a big framerate hit.

6 hours ago, rocketman said:

This is news to me. But to be completelys sure - would the formation on the left in the pic below (despite creating pretty much the same formation as the one on the right):

• Cause longer load times?
  • Cause the game in 3d mode to use up more memory and result in poorer frame rate?
  • Cause the game in 3d mode to stall more when panning the camera as the "denser" feature takes more memory to render?

Id7cubx.jpg

I enjoy making maps with steep elevation changes and am working on one now, so this is valuable information.

Yep   Larger maps (2000 X  2000 and above on my machine) will have Longer save and load times with slow scrolling when using dense application of elevation.  A very good way (natural) way to use elevation is just like the lines of a topographical map...avoid square placement but rather use gently bending lines to work the larger aspect of the map.  Then work the elevations in a more pointed way to suit what goes "ON" the map.... houses, roads, trees, bridges, water, ect.  That's when you'll what to focus the dense application of elevation code.

Edited by MarkEzra

21 hours ago, MarkEzra said:

Yep   Larger maps (2000 X  2000 and above on my machine) will have Longer save and load times with slow scrolling when using dense application of elevation.  A very good way (natural) way to use elevation is just like the lines of a topographical map...avoid square placement but rather use gently bending lines to work the larger aspect of the map.  Then work the elevations in a more pointed way to suit what goes "ON" the map.... houses, roads, trees, bridges, water, ect.  That's when you'll what to focus the dense application of elevation code.

The example I posted was just an illustration of the question I had, not how I do maps. I almost always use a topographical map and follow the outlines quite closely and then delete as I go on. What is hard to tell is how close the spacing between set elevations should/needs to be for a nice looking scenery and not too taxing on the system. @MarkEzra can you name a QB map from any game where there is large elevation changes, so I can study how close how you work with elevation?

3 hours ago, rocketman said:

The example I posted was just an illustration of the question I had, not how I do maps. I almost always use a topographical map and follow the outlines quite closely and then delete as I go on. What is hard to tell is how close the spacing between set elevations should/needs to be for a nice looking scenery and not too taxing on the system. @MarkEzra can you name a QB map from any game where there is large elevation changes, so I can study how close how you work with elevation?

I think you will be able to open this one.  It's CMFI-GL (But  I am always a little ahead of the players) If you can't open it I will DL an example CMSF2 whenever it becomes available.... Or this CMBS is ready to Play QB Meet "Rural Open-Forest"

Desert Map.zip

Rural Open-Forest (1520 X 1424) 12-18m.btt

Edited by MarkEzra
added new qb

Water warning!

Be aware that the game restricts all water features on a map to one and the same elevation.  The elevation of that nice little shoreline at the bottom of your ridgeline will be the same elevation as the nice little pond at the top of the hill.  This creates a volcano like water crater by the higher terrain feature.  The only exception is the "stream" terrain which acts more like a pathway on a map than it does a water feature.

See lesson learned here:

Good luck making your maps and designing your scenario's.  Consider The Proving Grounds when looking for testers ( http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tpg2/ ).

• 3 weeks later...