Introducing Battle Drill Blog's PBEM Tactical Problems

13 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

German player must assault and clear the heavily mined enemy strongpoint through very restricted terrain, time is short

Sounds like quite a challenge. Germans attacking Russians. In woods. Through a minefield. With little time on the clock :) 

No wonder it's labelled as "advanced" for the German player...

6 hours ago, domfluff said:

Just looking at the screenshots above, this feels like that AAR you did based on the "Germans can't win in the woods" comment on CMRT.

Nothing like it actually...

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Sounds like quite a challenge. Germans attacking Russians. In woods. Through a minefield. With little time on the clock :) 

No wonder it's labelled as "advanced" for the German player...

Heheh.. make sure I get feedback when you guys try this one out.

Bil

Are there any plans to make one of these tactical problems in SF2? I think it's a great idea, and setting one in the modern setting would be a really interesting way to show how the tactical principles are the same, but the tools can drastically change how they are specifically implemented.  With SF2 being the hot new title right now, you might get a larger pool of people looking to try it right away too.

Plus, it would selfishly be a scenario I could play!

7 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Are there any plans to make one of these tactical problems in SF2? I think it's a great idea, and setting one in the modern setting would be a really interesting way to show how the tactical principles are the same, but the tools can drastically change how they are specifically implemented.  With SF2 being the hot new title right now, you might get a larger pool of people looking to try it right away too.

Plus, it would selfishly be a scenario I could play!

Yes, that is in the plans.  CMSF2 will feature one of these in the near future.

Bil

Have started both drills with @BletchleyGeek. Done setup for Allies in drill 1 already, sure is an interesting tactical problem! Apart from a thumbs up for some nicely crafted scenario's, no real feedback yet. I have made a conceptual sketch of what I want to achieve and why. We will see how the execution fares and, later, whether my 'solution' makes sense to others 😉.
Will think of how to share experiences without spoiling too much. 
The idea of both players having to figure out stuff themselves is a good one. It might bring new dynamics, we will see!

16 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Have started both drills with @BletchleyGeek. Done setup for Allies in drill 1 already, sure is an interesting tactical problem! Apart from a thumbs up for some nicely crafted scenario's, no real feedback yet. I have made a conceptual sketch of what I want to achieve and why. We will see how the execution fares and, later, whether my 'solution' makes sense to others 😉.
Will think of how to share experiences without spoiling too much. 
The idea of both players having to figure out stuff themselves is a good one. It might bring new dynamics, we will see!

Definitely let me and ScoutPL know how these go... you guys know howto get in touch with us.

Bil

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to report the results of playing the first battle.

Played Ian, he wanted to check these out so we are.

He was the Germans, I selected the Americans.

My briefing did not give a clear objective as to what I needed to focus on. I had to determine for myself what the key areas were and then I was informed to react to what the enemy was doing. (That is what the challenge was that you gave us) The briefing did a good job of setting that up.

The bridge and crossroads were the obvious key areas in my mind but because I had them right next to me they were not objectives I had to go obtain. So I felt I needed to be aggressive and attack and get other objectives. So that meant I needed to push for other objectives.

But with the M8’s being my only assets with any real fire power, they were too brittle to risk. Losing 1 or 2 of them would for sure be costly to my side in any efforts in the battle.

So it meant any aggressive actions on my part would be a slow action trying to use my infantry. So after moving across the bridge and getting units at the cross roads and coming into contact with German units I began a slow process of moving infantry units forward on my flanks.

Ian was focused on the center of the map objectives, so my flanks were able to get to the next objectives without too much problem

I was surprised by what the German units were, but since I had the m8's in reserve, they were used to react to any areas I felt I was getting out gunned in.

As the battle progressed I could tell Ian was going to stay focused on the crossroads and that I needed to make sure that I had good fire on areas he would likely approach to taking that objective. Having taken the flanks, this became somewhat easy in that I had units holding those objectives but they could also support the center cross road area.

So that was really the cause for the win in that the Germans lost most of their units on that approach which I had prepared for. Holding the flanks also cause Ian to divert some forces to his flanks , so that prevented him from using them in his main attack.

So I hope this gives you some insight without me giving too much away about the scenario  for others who have not played it.

Here are my thought's from my match up with @slysniper. It was a different experience not having known objectives. I decided that I needed to press for a crossing and attempt to deny others. So, I decided to go for the bridge and the hill while keeping LOF on the ford. The German ACs only had 20mm and the HT based 75mm and 37mm, while nice to have, are very fragile. The briefing warns of the possibility of enemy armour. Facing off against even one Sherman tank with only HT mounted guns is a scary proposition. So, I proceeded with caution at the start.

Things went OK at the beginning I took up positions that had LOF on the ford and parts of the area around the bridge. I met resistance on my way to the hill (not a surprise) so I spent time just pining them down. I started taking casulties in my platoon working its way to the farm near the bridge and I should have pulled back. The enemy's mortars were very deadly and I thought I knew were they were and were peppering them but it turns out there was at least one unmolested that did a lot of damage. Then the M8s showed themselves after I scored some victories vs the US HTs the M8s made up for it eventually by picking apart my HT based SP guns.

In the end I fought longer than would have been reasonable IRL but typical for the game. And I lost. I thought I had the end screens on hand but I don't. I'll have to post them later.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...