Introducing Battle Drill Blog's PBEM Tactical Problems

These Tactical Problems designed by Todd Justice ( @ScoutPL ) and myself are designed to give small scale (Platoon to Company (+)) and short (around 30 minute) games for two players to test and explore tactical solutions to unique situations.   

They are Head to Head only in order to provide the toughest challenge.  Each side in these scenarios is designed to provide a challenge, though some sides may be tougher than others, refer to the scenario complexity ratings for the difficulty rating for each side. 

Post your solutions in the comments section for each scenario, or on the Battlefront forum.  We might in the future add AI to each side of these scenarios based on the best submitted solutions for each side.

Links below:

It had always been my intent to provide Tactical Problems like these on my blog to allow you to learn and  test tactical situations.  Please leave your feedback below.  I would suggest that if you have an AAR or a solution to one of these scenarios that you start a new thread and post a link to it in this thread to keep spoilers to a minimum.

Bil

BRANCH_BANNER.png

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

Here is the generic scenario description for PBEM Tactical Problem 01.  This scenario is designed to really make you think and adjust your thinking as the situation changes.

A Rifle Behind Every Tree – CMFB 

~ Movement to Contact ~

Each player is responsible for identifying key terrain and adjusting initial plan depending on how enemy contact evolves throughout the scenario. The main objective(s) is or are hidden for both sides, players are expected to identify it or them in their key terrain analysis.

See the in-game scenario briefing for scenario details on each side.

Time: 30 minutes. 

Complexity: 

• US Player: Advanced 
  • German Player: Advanced 

Author: Todd Justice (ScoutPL)

Download Link:  PBEM TP01 - A Rifle Behind Every Tree

ALLIED+END.png

AXIS+END.png

3 hours ago, AlexUK said:

Very cool Bil. If I ever have a go at PBEM i am sure these will be a great resource.

You should play some H2H games Alex... you are ready, you know you are.  ;)   Take @slysniper on, should be easy pickings for you.  How's that for throwing you under the bus Sly?  :P 

Great idea Bil! Looks like a great way for people to practically apply many of the principles detailed on your blog. I especially like the idea of having the objectives hidden. Really focuses the player on properly reading the terrain, instead of only paying attention to a highlighted area. 

Are these scenarios all made for engine 4?

Looking forward to people sharing their experiences with this and the upcoming scenarios. 

2 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Great idea Bil! Looks like a great way for people to practically apply many of the principles detailed on your blog. I especially like the idea of having the objectives hidden. Really focuses the player on properly reading the terrain, instead of only paying attention to a highlighted area. 

Are these scenarios all made for engine 4?

Looking forward to people sharing their experiences with this and the upcoming scenarios. 

Appreciate it Cap.  Yes engine 4.  

I'm having a very interesting PM with Domfluff and his feedback for TP01 right now.  I hope people share their experiences, with the proper spoiler warnings of course.  ;) 

As a complement to these Tactical Problems I just released a set of Threat based floating icons.  Note that these are an improvement on the Modern style icons I released recently.

Friendly units will always use rectangular icons while Threat (opposing force) will always use diamond shaped icons.  

For more details see the Threat Based Floating Icons post on my blog.

WW2+CM-Threat+Icon+Key.png

Was going to mention the use of modded icons in the force composition diagram, but I was beaten to it by the man himself! Having being momentarily baffled by unfamiliar little icons on the briefing screen, I was going to suggest either using the vanilla ones as a kind of lowest common denominator or that Bil suggests a mod to play with. Which he has just done.

That's a very minor quibble though, based on personal taste. That diagram is actually a very helpful touch, especially when you're a Quick Battler like me and you hate having to work out what units you've got to play with at the start of a battle. I'm looking forwards to giving the scenario a go!

My only question mark over the overall concept is whether the key terrain selected as the hidden objective is going to be consistently relevant as different players bring different plans to the table. This is probably not a big deal because the game is so short and the map is so small but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

There are quite a few questions that I'm not going to find answers to until afterwards (since I'm not going to "cheat").

I have no idea if the hidden objectives are just the terrain objectives in the briefing, or if they're supposed to encourage certain behaviours/ avenues of approach. 

Obviously as a core concept it's tough, since you can always open up the map and see what they are.

1 hour ago, holoween said:

Being now finally able to look at the map, mission and troops im just confused.

Am i supposed to follow the mission laid out in the briefing hoping the designers put victory points in locations that match my plan or simply try to guess what the designer thinks i should do?

What Bil said ...

'Each player is responsible for identifying key terrain and adjusting initial plan depending on how enemy contact evolves throughout the scenario. The main objective(s) is or are hidden for both sides, players are expected to identify it or them in their key terrain analysis'.

3 hours ago, holoween said:

Being now finally able to look at the map, mission and troops im just confused.

Am i supposed to follow the mission laid out in the briefing hoping the designers put victory points in locations that match my plan or simply try to guess what the designer thinks i should do?

This is an advanced scenario... as such it is up to the commander (you) to decide how to approach it... the author, ScoutPL's intent was to try to get the player's attention away from the terrain objectives and think for themselves.  It is your job to analyze the terrain, the mission (scenario briefing) and what you find out about the enemy as the scenario unfolds in order to best determine what adjustments you should make.  I don't want to give too much more guidance than that, as more would verge on a spoiler.

Bil    

Here is the generic scenario description for PBEM Tactical Problem 02.  For best results use the CMRT Floating icons referenced in the post above.

STRONGPOINT!

~ Russian Defense ~

German player must assault and clear the heavily mined enemy strongpoint through very restricted terrain, time is short as enemy reinforcements are close.

Russian player must defend at all costs and counterattack with reserves, if they arrive in time.

Time: 30 Minutes.

Complexity:

• Russian Player:  Moderate
  • German Player:  Advanced

Game:  CMRT

Author:  Bil Hardenberger

Download Link: PBEM 02 - Strongpoint!

TP-2+AXIS+END.png

TP-2+ALLIED+END.png