LOS around buildings

semmes

Sorry, in my search I couldn't find those buildings threads.

"Area fire requires LOS to the centre of the action square"  is this one of those things that has to do with the "mesh"?

I read something about you cannot teach Area Fire to the AI... Well, you can target the icon so you just need to make the blurry icon a target... and tell the AI to use Target-Brief maybe.
So you can use "icons" for buildings -easier I guess, they don't move. Maybe 12 for a two-storey, two-squares building, maybe one if the grid knows what to do with that "floating action square". You can cycle through Alt-I or use a different shape or colour...
Maybe a "Wild Area Fire" for crops? If you hit the invisible icon -to call it something- on that tile... congrats, you can fire.

True, an Area Fire button/order would be better. Instead of "T" and you see 300m, press "AF" until the mark is 300m... but adding a rear sight and teaching ballistics... maybe a bit too much.

Next engine, hopefully.
Thanks.

...six VCs won before breakfast. Cape Helles.

To make myself clear, what I mean by rear sight...

You need two points to calculate LOS -being a line and that, so you use the tile in front of the weapon, as you move the pointer it gives you a distance area fire, even a wild one. Then, like in indirect fire, you correct the aim, you are going to see the tracers.

You have to pay attention? yes, but I read the word frustration many times and there are a lot of small actions where people seem eager to use it.

Certainly I don't know the code but you've got the two points, it's "only" the CPU guessing where the loose bullets are going to hit, like grazing fire somebody said.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:18 AM, IanL said:

That is a game limitation having to do with area targeting buildings. There is a link to several threads in the "Targeting Buildings" section.

15 hours ago, semmes said:

Sorry, in my search I couldn't find those buildings threads.

Follow the link above. Scroll down in the post for the title Targeting Buildings. Under that are several posts covering this.

"Area fire requires LOS to the centre of the action square"  is this one of those things that has to do with the "mesh"?

That is a short simple way of remembering.

I read something about you cannot teach Area Fire to the AI...

The new AI scripting in v4 can be given area fire orders.

Next engine, hopefully.
Thanks.

Indeed - hopefully.

No, the answer to my question 

- Are you going to repair the building's invisibility cloak around buildings ?

is... No.

By the way I didn't say anything about giving orders to the AI,

units under AI control can decide to Area Fire instead of only Target Fire or no fire at all.

It is not our duty to doubt Admiralty's wisdom. Response to a British cadet.

Pardon my reordering things - just did it to make clear where my answers came from / were directed too...

On 11/30/2018 at 5:57 PM, semmes said:

No, the answer to my question 

- Are you going to repair the building's invisibility cloak around buildings ?

is... No.

Correct. The official response in those threads is that this is a limitation of the current engine and would not change with out significant effort they are not currently planning to take on.

On 11/30/2018 at 12:06 PM, IanL said:

I read something about you cannot teach Area Fire to the AI...

The new AI scripting in v4 can be given area fire orders.

On 11/30/2018 at 5:57 PM, semmes said:

By the way I didn't say anything about giving orders to the AI,

units under AI control can decide to Area Fire instead of only Target Fire or no fire at all.

Ah you used the word teach which I interpreted as "to direct" (in error I see). So for clarity (since I am still not sure what you meant by your last post). The scenario author can direct the AI to area fire as part of the scripting of the AI. The Tac AI (which controls the moment by moment actions of all troops) cannot decide to area fire on its own. The Tac AI will either not fire or fire at spotted enemy units. 

It should be noted as an aside that the Tac AI will sometimes fire at things you are unaware of but that is just a slight lag between when contact icons show up and the pixel troops taking action in addition the Tac AI will also fire for a while longer at a location where enemy troops were spotted but are no longer seen. Niether of which is really area fire like we can order.

On 12/1/2018 at 7:41 AM, Combatintman said:

AI orders are in the manual and no @IanLis not going to do anything about the problem because he doesn't work for the company.

LOL I pointed out the problem and helped with some of the investigation but sadly that is all I can do.

• 1 year later...

True. I thought about saying "teach" instead of teach, my fault.

A few more shots -from the AI- is not like keeping an area under fire for ten minutes like a player would do. Pity...

Congratulations for your groupies.

We must have peace without victory. Wilson, 1917.