Sgt.Squarehead

Afghanistan - The Current Situation

Future generations of whom?  Seems to be more of Pakistan playing the “I can support terrorists for all my adversaries and surely that will never come back to bite me”.  As a nuclear power that couldn’t possibly have any consequences for us   😎

Edited by sburke

The Afghan village built from missiles ☹️

Residents of Qezelabad in Afghanistan have lived for years with unexploded weapons built into their walls and holding up their ceilings.

After Soviet troops withdrew from Afghanistan 30 years ago, following a decade-long war, the villagers could not afford building materials. They used what they could find, including missiles left behind by the Soviet army.

A de-mining team is working to remove the weapons, and the BBC's Aulyia Atrafi went to see them at work.

Which reminds me, a few days ago I watched the first episode of a BBC series called The Bomb Squad. This is a documentary that focuses on a squad of British soldiers detailed to dispose of explosive ordnance in Afghanistan, IEDs, spent but undetonated shells, rockets, captured ammo dumps, etc. It gets into the personal lives of the men and their families, which ties in nicely with a recent thread in these forums on the subject of battlefield neurosis. I've been watching it via Netflix, but it is probably also still available directly from the BBC.

Michael

Interesting - although notable that it doesn't mention that China has been doing even worse to Pakistan (and other countries) - getting them addicted to so much unsustainable debt that these nations lease out strategic ports etc to the Chinese for strategic military bases.   Glad that we are finally noticing and doing something about that.