General Questions

hypeman

M4 does not have a vertical fore-gripe but the M240 PIP mg does, and so does the British rebuilt L85A2 rifle. I assume there was a 'command decision' at some point to not bother with M4 vertical fore-grip (perhaps back while making CMBS). The reason why is lost in the mists of time. Just recently they built a new M4 version with x4 ACOG sight for the squad marksman so they're not averse to altering the models.

I frankly don't know if or whether or what or how many animations have got tweaked. Sometimes I'm closely watching a battle and think "Well, THAT was cool! Was it always that cool?' Was I watching an improved animation or was it always like that?

Those decisions are 'above my pay grade', to coin a phrase. ;) Perhaps they considered the hand grip a mere decoration with no in-game tactical value.

They're otherwise sticklers for detail. Steve was frantically looking for an introduction date for the M145 Machine Gun Optic on US squad MGs awhile ago (don't worry, it fell well within the game timeframe). Canadian and Dutch versions of the M16 (C7A1, C7A2) are ambidextrous with fire select switch on both sides. The Marine M249 SAW model went through several iterations before Steve was happy with it. Plus they made a point to differentiate the Army M110 sniper rifle from the earlier Marines Mk11 sniper rifle. So they are 'trying' really hard.

In CMSF 1 - Brit foregrips and rails to hang stuff off the L85A2 are tied to equipment quality settings. Excellent setting = you should get them but they don't appear at lower quality settings. This is to reflect the fact that in the game timeframe, this sort of stuff was only just being rolled out in real life. I suspect it will be the same in CMSF 2, given the underpinning ethos of only changing what needs to be changed and bringing the game up to Engine 4 standards.

I just tested 'quality setting' in CMSF2. If you select 'excellent' then select your force the Brits will come in with L85A2. If you select 'poor' then select you force they'll have L85. If you leave things alone they'll come in mixed. There's not much in the game that's affected by 'quality settings' anymore. It will still downgrade or upgrade the armor types you receive but you've also got a direct selection list to pick your vehicle types from so quality settings is a less important function now.