Gauging Combat Mission Interest

7 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

What about the Netherlands, Bil? Quite a few dutchmen around here.

The original post is for page views on my blog.  The all time stats didn’t list the Netherlands but I think it either doesn’t list every country or page views from that country are too insignificant to make the list. 

I expect a lot more Dutch in here once CMSF2 is released. 

Bil

1 hour ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

The original post is for page views on my blog.  The all time stats didn’t list the Netherlands but I think it either doesn’t list every country or page views from that country are too insignificant to make the list. 

Bil

Sure hope so. A lot of wargamers overhere, but strangely enough not that many of them know CM. I keep telling them it's the only wargame that really matters, but to no avail. And young people only want shooters. If only they knew about the dutch campaign for CMSF. That would attract quite a few of them.

22 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:
On 11/22/2018 at 3:56 PM, Bil Hardenberger said:

Bil

Sure hope so. A lot of wargamers overhere, but strangely enough not that many of them know CM. I keep telling them it's the only wargame that really matters, but to no avail. And young people only want shooters. If only they knew about the dutch campaign for CMSF. That would attract quite a few of them.

Can anyone remember why the Dutch were chosen for inclusion? Not saying they shouldn't be, it just seems a random small faction to suddenly include.

11 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Can anyone remember why the Dutch were chosen for inclusion? Not saying they shouldn't be, it just seems a random small faction to suddenly include.

Can't remember, but I was (and still am) very pleased with it. But I agree, a small contribution. Small but effective. Our soldiers hated to leave there, but who understands politics...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task_Force_Urozgan

42 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

It gave Steve the excuse to sample beers there while doing “research”. If he were more into wine the likelihood would have been we would have seen the French army.   😎

11 minutes ago, sburke said:

It gave Steve the excuse to sample beers there while doing “research”. If he were more into wine the likelihood would have been we would have seen the French army.   😎

Belgian beer is a lot better actually. 😊we have other attractions though...

Edited by Aragorn2002

I don't know or remember why the Dutch were chosen. Good reasons could be gear similarities with German and Canadian forces and track record of Dutch participation in international military missions; it wasn't unrealistic to include the Dutch forces.

Although bitterballen could have added some weight on the scale too, obviously. 

PS: I recently found out about this translator: https://www.deepl.com/translator. It seems to work better compared to google.

Edited by Lethaface

On 11/21/2018 at 2:19 PM, Erwin said:

As we know, in cardboard wargame days (20+ years ago) , everyone wanted to play the Germans... Western Allies came a distant 2nd and you'd practically have to pay an oppo to play the Soviets.

So, not sure if it's a self-fulfilling prophecy to market mostly to a US-oriented market, or it's indicative of a generational change.

i was an exception, I liked the Soviets , always admired them

10 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

What else shall they do, except catching a salmon or hunting a bear every then and when?🤓

The news might not have reached your alpine retreat yet. But I think that they are a bit busy at the moment with an earthquake to do either. Although hopefully normal service will be resumed soon

12 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

The news might not have reached your alpine retreat yet. But I think that they are a bit busy at the moment with an earthquake to do either. Although hopefully normal service will be resumed soon

Indeed, I missed that. I just returned to my alpine retreat from a short exile in Qatar.

Lot‘s of work and lot’a of sand, but not much more...