10 Myths about Afghanistan article

I'm not a huge fan of the Guardian, but this article ain't bad. When I grew up we were fed a lot of BS about Afghanistan. This could be enlightening for the average reader, it is no way a peer-reviewed academic work -- by any definition. Human history has so many details that are easily ignored, but often have far reaching consequences. Gross oversimplification is an inescapable requirement for any such article.

18 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

'Top Ten Best Tanks'

xD

Yeah, I watched those videos. It just so happens that "Best" is a very subjective category -- at its best. Nothing like comparing Little Willie to a Challenger. "I like this tank 'cause it looks cool, I guess." 

The expression 'slow-motion train-wreck' would be fairly apt IMHO:

https://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2018/11/taliban-routs-commando-company-in-one-of-afghanistans-most-secure-rural-districts.php

Beginning to wonder if the planned 'Exit Strategy' might not depend on helicopters & the embassy roof.  :unsure:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

"The reality is the Afghan mujahideen did not defeat the Soviets on the battlefield. They won some important encounters, notably in the Panjshir valley, but lost others. In sum, neither side defeated the other. The Soviets could have remained in Afghanistan for several more years but they decided to leave when Gorbachev calculated that the war had become a stalemate and was no longer worth the high price in men, money and international prestige."

Sounds conspicuously like "losing" to me. I do believe that overall the war was not the major catastrophe for the Soviet Union often described as such by its enemies, and that it's connection to the USSR's demise is only nebulous, at best. The idea that the Soviet Union did not lose because they never suffered a major battlefield defeat is every bit as ridiculous as American posturing to the same tune over the Vietnam war. It's a gross oversimplification only the very narrow minded can rationalize I think. "Sure we lost millions of dollars, thousands of lives, and humiliated ourselves to the rest of the world diplomatically and militarily at the same time but since the Mujahideen failed to assassinate Gorbachev we are undefeated!!!!!😂

Has anything changed in Afghanistan since the conflict wound down.

It has, all the natural resources, and afghanistan has plenty, are going to the west now. In the eyes of the west, that is a success. Someone is making big big money by stealing their stuff. The war? Who cares, that is just a side show to keep the money rolling in.

Edited by Pandur

I did not think about it enough before posting this, maybe that is too much politics but i can no longer edit my post. I recently managed to talk to persons from afghanistan, refugees in my country, for the first time ever. It was interesting to talk to them, it changed the way i view this whole thing a bit, so i could not help it and posted what i did post above. As said just ignore it.

15 minutes ago, Pandur said:

I did not think about it enough before posting this, maybe that is too much politics but i can no longer edit my post. I recently managed to talk to persons from afghanistan, refugees in my country, for the first time ever. It was interesting to talk to them, it changed the way i view this whole thing a bit, so i could not help it and posted what i did post above. As said just ignore it.

One of the main reasons why the NATO-intervention in Afhanistan hasn't proved succesful, is the Afghan habbit of corruption. We could have sent twice as many troops and twice as much money and it still would have failed. A waste of good men and resources.

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

One of the main reasons why the NATO-intervention in Afhanistan hasn't proved succesful, is the Afghan habbit of corruption. We could have sent twice as many troops and twice as much money and it still would have failed. A waste of good men and resources.

This could be the longest thread ever it you're going to pick it apart issue by issue.

My bold, many good women have lost their lives too.

15 hours ago, Combatintman said:

This could be the longest thread ever it you're going to pick it apart issue by issue.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

If it isn't then no worries.

If it is sarcasm then come off your high horse, mate. 

Edited by Aragorn2002

20 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

One of the main reasons why the NATO-intervention in Afghanistan hasn't proved succesful,..

I would call that the hate fueled blind rage of a giant that got the mental age of a 8 year old kid,... not an intervention. ;)

Something like that, the an eye for an eye mentality, i would expect from african tribal societies, but not from a cultured and modern western society. Too bad a country can sink so low so fast.

Of course all the respect and all that, for everyone.

Edited by Pandur

20 hours ago, Pandur said:

Stick to your own advice, Pandur and stop posting about such a sensitive subject.

Edited by Aragorn2002

7 minutes ago, Pandur said:

They should release the game this week, that will shut me up :D 

I so want to go into the map editor and fix up my 2 old scenarios for CMSF2. I am pretty hyped unfortunately, which makes time drag on.

You're the lucky one, Pandur. CMSF 2 is just around the corner. I'm waiting for the CMRT module. But it will all come.

On 12/2/2018 at 5:45 AM, Pandur said:

In the eyes of the west, that is a success. Someone is making big big money by stealing their stuff. 

3 hours ago, Pandur said:

I would call that the hate fueled blind rage of a giant that got the mental age of a 8 year old

i would expect from african tribal societies   

Too bad a country can sink so low so fast.  

Wow ................... 😲