Draw distance

My trick is turning off 'high detail trees' (which appears to just be branches blowing in the wind).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'optimal settings', do you mean optimized to get the best framerate or optimized for highest detail? Turning everything up to max often has the opposite effect of what you'd want. Backing things off a bit to 'better' 3-D model quality (for instance) means the graphics card is struggling less and so will be able to render trees further out.

I understand what the original poster is talking about as players with half decent graphics cards still tend to see the where the game switches over the max resolution textures to min resolution textures at a pretty close distance to the camera. It's quite jarring when you are zoomed out even by only a little bit as see this hard line where the textures switch to a low resoltuion mess. Given the improved GPU power and VRAM of cards these days compared to CM2's release, you'd think the cards could handle more.

Maybe bump this setting up a bit or alternatively give players a bit more control over how much of the map they want to see drawn with the max resolution textures/models? Let them test it on their side to find the balance they like and what their PC's can handle comfortably. A sliding scale in the options for draw/view distance like ARMA has would be ideal.

My two cents plus sales tax. :P

Edited by Ithikial_AU

Thanks for the replies. By optimal I meant for performance, with graphics options turned to their lowest settings.

Ithikial_AU has nailed the issue that I intended to convey. It would be great if the player was given more options to tweak settings especially for something as significant to visuals as draw distance.