Sound no longer working

jonPhillips

I can't upgrade to OS X Mojave myself, so I'm not sure what you're running into (my references here will be on OS X 10.13 - so they may not exactly match). Do you hear sound for everything else ? If you go to your Sound control panel (Apple menu > System Preferences > Sound) what is listed for your 'Play sound effects through' ? Typically I would expect 'Internal Speakers' for most users. If you select 'Output' along the top, with 'Internal Speakers' selected is your 'Output volume' at the bottom at a sufficient level and does NOT have the 'Mute' checkbox selected ?

Within the CM games themselves I assume that the Options > Sound is set to 'On', correct ? I couldn't imagine all of them being off at the same time. Possibly cycle through this setting and exit the game after each change (i.e. - turn off > OK > exit game and then relaunch game and change and exit again).

If you're not getting any sound at all on the Mac and the above settings haven't changed anything you can possibly reset the audio system with the following command run from the 'Terminal':

sudo killall coreaudiod

This should prompt for the system password, which is likely the password you use at boot time.

This article discusses problems with audio and previous OS X versions, but should still be applicable to Mojave:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/sound-advice-fixing-common-mac-audio-problems-os-x/

Edited by Schrullenhaft

14 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

I can't upgrade to OS X Mojave myself, so I'm not sure what you're running into (my references here will be on OS X 10.13 - so they may not exactly match). Do you hear sound for everything else ? If you go to your Sound control panel (Apple menu > System Preferences > Sound) what is listed for your 'Play sound effects through' ? Typically I would expect 'Internal Speakers' for most users. If you select 'Output' along the top, with 'Internal Speakers' selected is your 'Output volume' at the bottom at a sufficient level and does NOT have the 'Mute' checkbox selected ?

Within the CM games themselves I assume that the Options > Sound is set to 'On', correct ? I couldn't imagine all of them being off at the same time. Possibly cycle through this setting and exit the game after each change (i.e. - turn off > OK > exit game and then relaunch game and change and exit again).

If you're not getting any sound at all on the Mac and the above settings haven't changed anything you can possibly reset the audio system with the following command run from the 'Terminal':

sudo killall coreaudiod

This should prompt for the system password, which is likely the password you use at boot time.

This article discusses problems with audio and previous OS X versions, but should still be applicable to Mojave:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/sound-advice-fixing-common-mac-audio-problems-os-x/

Thank you for this detailed and comprehensive reply.

Sound is working for all other apps and sound is set to 'on' for all of the CM games. I’ll try the audio reset you suggest and see if that solves the problem. If not, I’ll check the article you provided the link for.

14 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Sorry, haven't seen this in any beta testing either for SF2 or the patches. I upgraded to Mojave in the middle of beta testing SF2 and haven't seen any issues.

That’s also good to know - thanks for the reply.