The Magic Bullet strikes again

Late model Panther IVJ w/crack HQ crew ("Chaos at Ferme Diedenhove" battle)

During the attack on the walled in compound (playing as German attacker) I issued a move order for my tank to re-position and seal up an opening on my right flank.

One minute later, I noticed, the tank was still sitting there with its move order path line still visible. After checking to make sure the tank wasn't in a semi-bogged mode, or, immobilized mode, I rescinded the order and issued a reverse and reposition order. Again, one minute later, the tank didn't move, perplexed, by this, apparent, glitch I, closely, examined the tank to see if it had suffered mechanical damage, preventing it to move, after the initial assault. Again, I found nothing mechanically wrong with the tank, then, I saw the problem while checking out the crew, I was missing 1 of my tank crew "The Driver", apparently, the tank suffered some internal flaking, or, the "Magic Bullet" found its way into the sealed tank and killed the driver. I guess the remainder of the crew were unqualified to drive despite their "Crack" rating. I'm guessing, here, that the Tank Commander was "Party" assigned to the position, otherwise, he would have known how to drive the tank. 

Is it possible that the Crew of the experimental Panther IVJ had one of its Crew a Casualty before Scenario (reduced Crew Strength, and didn't notice). -Or- a Tank Crew Casualty when you were unbuttoned (and didn't notice)...

Thou, all this still doesn't explain why your experimental Panther IV J doesn't move since a crew member would automagically go into the Drivers Seat...Unless, you forgot to undo the 'Pause' Order at some point...So, I'm at a loose :-)

Other Forumites...Please.

Edited by JoMc67

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, JoMc67 said:

Is it possible that the Crew of the experimental Panther IVJ had one of its Crew a Casualty before Scenario (reduced Crew Strength, and didn't notice). -Or- a Tank Crew Casualty when you were unbuttoned (and didn't notice)...

Thou, all this still doesn't explain why your experimental Panther IV J doesn't move since a crew member would automagically go into the Drivers Seat...Unless, you forgot to undo the 'Pause' Order at some point...So, I'm at a loose :-

Other Forumites...Please.

No... I just received the last of my reinforcements for the game. I put all my Panthers (Pz VG Panther (late)), tank destroyers (Sturmpanzer IV (late)) and JPz IV / 70 v's (tank destroyers) together for a blitzkrieg style attack on the "Ferme Diedenhove" compound, one big push to overwhelm the compound. The tank in question followed the assault orders to the compound wall, it was after the compound was decimated that I issued the tank in question (sorry about the mix up it was a Panther Pz VG (late) not a Pz IV J (late)) to move to cover my right flank as I was taking some enemy tank fire hidden in the woods to the right of the compound). After the turn was over I noticed the tank had not moved, it still had a blue colored move order path line, no bogged or immobilized notification in the tank screen only the missing driver. (maybe I should have waited a few more turns incase he had an emergency sitting head call that he could no longer avoid to take? (some things from Parris Island seem to never, ever, fade away, 42 years and counting. lol)

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:19 PM, simovitch said:

What's a "Panther IVJ"?

Sorry, my mistake it was a Pz VG Panther (late) but, on the other hand if you were spoofing me on the IVJ instead of the IV J nomenclature take a look at the tank screen for the Panzer IV J (late) It's actually listed as Pz IVJ (late)

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:08 PM, Michael Emrys said:

Maybe he meant to write Panzer IV J. What he actually wrote never existed SFAIK.

Michael

That is correct, I got my Pz VG Panther (late) mixed up with the Pz IV J Panzer class. I was talking about the Pz VG Panther (late). Sorry about the confusion.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, IanL said:

Other crew are supposed to take over the driver's job. So, something is off. Do you have a saved game or PBEM turn?

yep, in my Hamel Vallee game a Marder driver was hit and another crewmember was in the seat so fast I had to assume the former driver had been vaporized.  That is odd, hopefully he has a save otherwise chalk it up as a mystery.

• 2 weeks later...

user1000,

A Sherman 105 carried a small quantity of HEAT rounds specifically to deal with Panzers. Page 48 of the CMFB Manual shows 5 rounds, but 457 mm armor penetration at 0% (Wiki below) would do a lot more than spall a Panther's frontal armor. Would expect the whole tank would need replacing, along with most/all of the crew, not just the driver and tank and crew remainder otherwise intact. Of course, if a tank appears and the Sherman 105 is set up for FS, then the first round will be HE, whose ability to cause spalling on impact with  substantial sloped armor is unknown to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M101_howitzer

Regards,

John Kettler