CMBN Mod installtion

Bierbauch

Good Day:

I am the Newb here and have a question concerning mod installation. I have read that you need to unzip an rar mod and place the "folder" into the Z folder.. I have also read where you take the "files" from the folder that was just unzipped and put just those in the Z folder.

. Who is correct,and do the readme and jpeg illustrations also need to be in the folder/folders?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Bierbauch said:

Good Day:

I am the Newb here and have a question concerning mod installation. I have read that you need to unzip an rar mod and place the "folder" into the Z folder.. I have also read where you take the "files" from the folder that was just unzipped and put just those in the Z folder.

. Who is correct,and do the readme and jpeg illustrations also need to be in the folder/folders?

Thanks

This is how I deal with CMBN mods with Windows 10:

I create a folder on my desktop named extraction folder. 

I download the mod to my desktop. 

I then drag the mod into the extraction folder and un-zip (extract) it inside this folder.  (using this folder avoids some other problems)

I then take the actual mod files/folders from inside the extraction folder and place them in the Z folder. 

CMBN works a little different from the other CM games.  For CMBN you create a Z folder inside CMBN's Data folder. 

You can trash the readme and illustrations after you have viewed them. 

I save the original zipped mod folder.  You can repeat the above process with that same zipped folder in the future if you need to for some reason. 

"I then take the actual mod files/folders from inside the extraction folder and place them in the Z folder."

That is where I am uncertain; Do I place the extracted folder with the files still in it into the Z folder or take the actual files out of the extracted folder and put just the files in the Z folder?  I have seen both processes done in two different games so I am sure one or the other has to be correct. 

Sorry for the confusion-I am a retired 19D2 so you now know what you are dealing with:)

Thanks again

18 minutes ago, Bierbauch said:

I am a retired 19D2 so you now know what you are dealing with:)  

Sorry, I had to step away from the computer. 

Very cool having a 19D here.

It is easier to put the entire extracted folder into the Z folder.  But in theory you could put individual files from the mod folder into the Z folder.  Some people do this when they only want some of the mods files from the mod folder.  They mix and match mods from different mod builds. 

11 minutes ago, Bierbauch said:

Thanks again for the help trooper-much appreciated.....

Just a quick note.  You can put them direct or put them in as part of a folder.  Effect is the same really unless you start adding other mods.  What I tend to do is if I have something I definitely always want it I create a folder inside the Z folder for example ZZZ Tanks a lot.  That insure the mods from Tanks a lot will always load last.  Organizing your mods becomes really important as you start getting more as you'll want to be able to determine load order.

Good to know sburke-I think I will follow your advise and have one "Master Blaster" folder for my favs'. That way I have every mod I download in one place AND a folder for what I currently want to see. With so many mods downloaded it is difficult to know what is currently running.  

Thanks again all.

If one is going to get heavily into mods, one needs to have a mod folder "policy".  Eg In your main"Z" FOLDER you could have Z TERRAIN; Z UNIFORMS; Z UI; Z FX; Z SOUNDS; Z VEHICLES; and even ZZ DESIRED MODS to check on new mods and decide if you want to use them. 

The more "Z's" b4 the name of the folder, the later the mods in that folder will be loaded.  So you can be sure that the mods in that folder will load last and be in the game regardless of conflicts.

EXCELLENT idea. That setup is somewhat like the old CMMOS system was only there was a program setup where you could review what you wanted and you just moved a mod from one column to the other and saved your work. That sure would be nice. 

Thanks for the reminder-I forgot all about that-been 18 years since I thought of it:)