Bradly fire power

I vaguely recall they attempted to code some sort of vehicle ammo sharing a number of years ago and bad things began happening so they were compelled to abandon the attempt. Vehicles like Bradley, Marder and BMP-2 are not the easiest vehicles in the world to bomb-up. I understand BMP-2 is particularly difficult.

7524a263-c743-44a4-b2af-42f7e5e6fe2f_1_ef53c80e781500c745bd9f9b4e6e725f.jpg

171217-A-FI259-1062.JPG

Steel beasts allows reloading and some simple repair in its scenarios.  But this is on very large maps and very long scenarios.  In most scenarios, realistically, there isn't time or space for logistical operations like that.  Typical MP scenario is a couple hours on multi-km by multi-km maps.  By the time you travel back to meet a supply truck and head back to the action, the game is basically over.  On smaller maps, the trucks and AFVs are very exposed and vulnerable with enemy units always within striking distance.  The other thing is , that because SB deals with all modern combat, artillery will eventually find you if you stop too long.

The point is that in most CM scenarios, an AFV would most likely be traveling off map to get handled.  I'm wondering if you can exit an AFV off the map and then have a duplicate reenter as a clean AFV 30 minutes later.

edit:  Saw that reload times for a full stock on an M1 is 15 minutes at fastest and 25 minutes for a 25mm armed LAV.

Edited by Thewood1
New info

I would think the Steel Beast discussions are close to how it works in real life.  The devs and a number of players are current or recent tanks commanders and crewmen.  Most of the logistics features are there because the various MoD and DoD customers using SB for training wanted it included for large operations.

Edited by Thewood1

16 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

I'm wondering if you can exit an AFV off the map and then have a duplicate reenter as a clean AFV 30 minutes later.

Not at present, you'd need something like 'Reinforcement by Trigger' and that could potentially be gamed by ch33ty players. 

TBH I'd imagine it would be tricky to implement this with certainty.

Speaking from experience (I'm a former Bradley gunner and commander) The TOW launcher can be reloaded fairly rapidly (in around a minute for both tubes) but the Bradley will be out of action and behind cover for that time. Reloading the 25mm takes considerably longer as there is a specific way the HE and AP belts must be loaded into their individual storage bins in a specific pattern and are fed into the appropriate feed chutes and then cranked into the gun itself using a ratchet. This is a relatively simple task, but it takes some time (between 5 and 10 minutes) to perform and that is without any problems popping up. For example, the protective plastic caps that cover the dart on APFDS-T rounds can break off and cause a jam in the feed chute. An issue that's easy to solve, but can add a few minutes to the process. My actual point after all this rambling is that it's within the realm for a Brad crew to reload TOWs within the time frame of a CM scenario, but not reload a completely empty 25mm. And definitely not a resupply from the battalion ammo section.

To note on Splinty’s statement above there is a bit more involved than simply how long does it to reload.  You have to have the ammo first to do the reload.  Splinty  can you elaborate on what the expectation is if you were on a Bradley in action how you would expect to be resupplied.  Is that a “I need to move out of the front line to rendezvous point x at which point I reload and return”?  If so what would be an approximate expectation of how far away that reload might be or is the expectation that some form of resupply would come to the unit in action?

1 hour ago, sburke said:

To note on Splinty’s statement above there is a bit more involved than simply how long does it to reload.  You have to have the ammo first to do the reload.  Splinty  can you elaborate on what the expectation is if you were on a Bradley in action how you would expect to be resupplied.  Is that a “I need to move out of the front line to rendezvous point x at which point I reload and return”?  If so what would be an approximate expectation of how far away that reload might be or is the expectation that some form of resupply would come to the unit in action?

We received a reload of TOWs directly from our battalion ammo section. They actually drove up and down the company line. (this was during the Battle of Medina Ridge in Desert Storm) We were engaging elements of the Medina and Takawalna Republican Guard as they did so. It didn't hurt that because of the ridgeline itself the ammo guys could drive their truck on the backside of our Bradleys in complete cover. However in the Iraqi desert this was an exception to the terrain. Most areas were as flat as a pool table. Normal resupply was done in precleared areas where we would get fuel, ammo, water and MREs in one stop. This was all set up in advance by our Brigade S4 (logistics). When and where was dependent on the battle situation at the time. Mostly it happened as we advanced to contact in the first 2 days of the ground war.  

Edited by Splinty

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd imagine things might have been done rather differently were there a significant risk of coming under heavy artillery/MRL fire.  ;)

We DID receive what I believe were spotting rounds during that TOW reload, but they were a ways away from my track and we never got the full shoot. I suspect our own artillery did a counter battery mission and suppressed the enemy guns. That afternoon as we moved in to set up our perimeter I remember driving past what looked like wrecked towed 122mm artillery pieces.

16 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Let me add my own appreciation and pose a question. What division was your brigade in?

Michael

I was with 3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division. We originally weren't even set to deploy, but 4th Brigade 1st Armored Division failed their readiness assessment so we took their place. I was in D Co 4/7 Inf. Attached to 1/72 Armor Battalion as an infantry pure company. 

On the other hand it would be nice (for the bad guys) if the ZSU-23-2 Technical could reload from a dump (Made by dismounting the same vehicle?).....Can this be done? 

Playing CMFB awhile ago I noticed something unexpected. An M16 AA halftrack had run itself out of ammo so I moved it back away from the action. When I returned to it awhile later it had .50 cal ammo again. I never got an explanation of what happened. Was the M16 'borrowing' .50 cal from surrounding vehicles? I can't explain it and never saw a plausible explanation for it.

4 hours ago, Splinty said:

I was with 3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division. We originally weren't even set to deploy, but 4th Brigade 1st Armored Division failed their readiness assessment so we took their place. I was in D Co 4/7 Inf. Attached to 1/72 Armor Battalion as an infantry pure company. 

Thank you, Splinty.

Michael

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, MikeyD said:

Playing CMFB awhile ago I noticed something unexpected. An M16 AA halftrack had run itself out of ammo so I moved it back away from the action. When I returned to it awhile later it had .50 cal ammo again. I never got an explanation of what happened. Was the M16 'borrowing' .50 cal from surrounding vehicles? I can't explain it and never saw a plausible explanation for it.

Interesting.....I think I've had the same experience, but didn't have saves to verify it.  :unsure: