Liberation of Milan, April 25, 1945

Warts 'n' all,

Good catch. Went back and looked, particularly at the guy with the pistol and seemingly holding it with thumb and forefinger only. Closer inspection show's it's on a lanyard draped across the right shoulder and under his left armpit, with the weapon dangling from a short segment below that. Guess he slept through Math class and cut the harness too long, since I believe he's trying to stop the pistol from bashing the family jewels. Also, managed to find the pic for the other female partisans I mentioned. Heavily armed! Every last one has an automatic weapon!

Female-Italian-partisans-in-Castelluccio

The above was taken in Castellucio, Italy, February, 1944. They're so happy because the arrival of the US Ninth Army is imminent.

Here's a great article on female Italian partisans.

Regards,

John Kettler

2 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Italy, February, 1944. They're so happy because the arrival of the US Ninth Army is imminent.

I think your research is not quite up to it's usual high standard, John. There was no US 9th Army in Feb '44. And, of course, it never saw service in Italy at all. They are probably discussing the dashing, charming SOE gents who delivered the Stens and Bren. Whilst the girl in the white tries to get in her "Mine is bigger than yours" gag.

On 10/31/2018 at 8:29 AM, Warts 'n' all said:

I think your research is not quite up to it's usual high standard, John. There was no US 9th Army in Feb '44. And, of course, it never saw service in Italy at all. They are probably discussing the dashing, charming SOE gents who delivered the Stens and Bren. Whilst the girl in the white tries to get in her "Mine is bigger than yours" gag.

I believe the machinegun on the ground is not a bren gun but in fact a breda modello 30.

• 1 month later...

It's also the cover for Cladio Pavone's The Civil War, the best history of Italian Resistance published in English.

https://www.amazon.ca/Civil-War-History-Italian-Resistance/dp/1781687773

I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in the last 2 years of the war in Italy. (Including Devs thinking about RSI, partisans, co-belligerents ;) )

However if you want to read something with 650 fewer pages, Osprey has a more approachable title out

World War II Partisan Warfare in Italy

https://ospreypublishing.com/world-war-ii-partisan-warfare-in-italy