How many Stummels did a PzGrenadier Batt. have?

I guess the game gets it right, because it usually does, but I'm still curious:

A CMFB German Panzergrenadier Battalion apparently has 12 Stummels, 6 in the Heavy Company, and 3x2 Stummels in the heavy platoons of each of the three infantry companies.

Or could it be that those 3x2 Stummels are actually just the 6 Battalion Stummels that have been attached to the individual companies? So we're counting the same vehicles twice?

On 10/28/2018 at 1:08 PM, Bulletpoint said:

I guess the game gets it right, because it usually does, but I'm still curious:

A CMFB German Panzergrenadier Battalion apparently has 12 Stummels, 6 in the Heavy Company, and 3x2 Stummels in the heavy platoons of each of the three infantry companies.

Or could it be that those 3x2 Stummels are actually just the 6 Battalion Stummels that have been attached to the individual companies? So we're counting the same vehicles twice?

Difficult question. There are many not very PC answers. 😎

6 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Hmmm, I thought it was a pretty straight forward question actually ? Not sure how political correctness plays into this?

:O

Don't you know that some people identify as light-skinned Allied vehicles or Allied infantry? Halftrack-based stummels are particularly offensive to them. These stummels are bringing in the HEAT to people who identify as armoured vehicles too!

In all seriousness, I am playing through the Peiper campaign right now. I am quite surprised by how common these SPGs are. I guess they're quite nifty when you're going up against entrenched infantry.

27 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Hmmm, I thought it was a pretty straight forward question actually ? Not sure how political correctness plays into this?

Hehehechrrrrr, your treaser question triggered me. But probably, I interpreting too much German into the question.

Let‘s stop the discussion or we‘ll end up with „tiny hands“ and „horsefaces“. 🤔

20 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

But probably, I interpreting too much German into the question.

Ok, I got an email with the explanation of this piece of German humour.. I begin to understand why the German army liked to call their vehicles stuff like Sd.Kfz. 251/9, since that is very difficult to turn into a joke!

42 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Ok, I got an email with the explanation of this piece of German humour.. I begin to understand why the German army liked to call their vehicles stuff like Sd.Kfz. 251/9, since that is very difficult to turn into a joke!

Hm, let me think about that one. I’ll find something. 😃

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/28/2018 at 6:08 AM, Bulletpoint said:

Twelve is correct in an Armored Panzergrenadier Battalion.

Remember, the other three Panzergrenadier Battalions in a Panzer Division are motorized, and they don't have Stummels.

I think the Armored Recon Battalion in a Panzer Division had thirteen Stummels, but CMRT gives them six. I don't have CMFB, so I can't comment on how the TOE  shows there. If you are seeing too many Stummels maybe play with the foot slogging PzGrenadiers more.

5 hours ago, Mudhugger said:
On 10/28/2018 at 1:08 PM, Bulletpoint said:

Remember, the other three Panzergrenadier Battalions in a Panzer Division are motorized, and they don't have Stummels.

I think the Armored Recon Battalion in a Panzer Division had thirteen Stummels, but CMRT gives them six. I don't have CMFB, so I can't comment on how the TOE  shows there. If you are seeing too many Stummels maybe play with the foot slogging PzGrenadiers more.

Thanks a lot for clearing this up. I didn't have any problems seeing too many of those things, it was just a matter of curiosity.

I generally play with foot sloggers and not with a lot of armour :)

• 4 months later...
On 2/15/2019 at 6:26 AM, Mudhugger said:

I think this is correct. But don't overestimate the number of PG battalions that were actually armored ("gepanzert"). Most were just motorized, as far as I know.

Do these armored PG btns have a rarity rating? 

----

From my understanding, Panzergrenadiere are not called "Panzer" (armored/tank) because they themselves were armored (which wasn't the case very often), but rather because they were the infantry that formed part of the armored divisions (Panzer-Divisionen), who themselves were a mix of tank regiments (Panzer-Regimenter) and infantry regiments (Panzer-Grenadier-Regimenter). Accordingly, in the early stages of the war, the infantry in armored divisions were just called "Schützen Regimenter" (rifleman/fusilier regiments) and had the same corps colour as the tankers (i.e. pink). Later on they were re-named into "Panzergrenadiere" and received their own special corps colour (green).   

Edited by Kaunitz

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, DerKommissar said:

In all seriousness, I am playing through the Peiper campaign right now. I am quite surprised by how common these SPGs are. I guess they're quite nifty when you're going up against entrenched infantry.

The Germans had an awful lot of surplus short 75mm guns after they up-gunned the StuG & Pz.IV and the conversion isn't exactly rocket science.  ;)