Isn't the M8 Howitzer supposed to be in the cavalry troop?

It is an omission, deliberate I think. The explanation when this came up before was that the M8 HMC was not committed at the front but provided support indirectly.

There are some other quirks of the Cav. Squadron OOB if memory serves. Unless I am mistaken, the company of M5 tanks is also missing.

Michael

25 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

It is an omission, deliberate I think. The explanation when this came up before was that the M8 HMC was not committed at the front but provided support indirectly.

I'm no expert, but according to the wiki:

"The 75 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M8 was assigned to the Assault Gun Troops of Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadrons in order to give them close support against enemy fortified positions."

The source is this document that lists a cavalry assault gun troop:

http://www.militaryresearch.org/2-28 15Sep43.pdf

That sounds like it would be up on the front line? Or was it an indirect fire platform? If so, there are penty of other self propelled guns that were artillery pieces but also sometimes served as direct fire weapons. The M7 Priest for example.

25 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

There are some other quirks of the Cav. Squadron OOB if memory serves. Unless I am mistaken, the company of M5 tanks is also missing.

Yes, I can't find those either ... Why would they take them out if they were there in reality and are already in the game?

4 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I'm no expert, but according to the wiki:

"The 75 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M8 was assigned to the Assault Gun Troops of Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadrons in order to give them close support against enemy fortified positions."

The source is this document that lists a cavalry assault gun troop:

http://www.militaryresearch.org/2-28 15Sep43.pdf

That sounds like it would be up on the front line? Or was it an indirect fire platform? If so, there are penty of other self propelled guns that were artillery pieces but also sometimes served as direct fire weapons. The M7 Priest for example.

It was a high angle artillery piece that could fire either directly or indirectly SFAIK. Sort of like the German infantry guns that most often fired at targets the gunner could see. Or like light to medium mortars. 

4 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Yes, I can't find those either ... Why would they take them out if they were there in reality and are already in the game? [re the M5]

Beats hell out of me. I don't know if BFC just felt like the Cavalry wasn't important enough to warrant comprehensive research, or they had some other, better reason. Sloppy research is not something I expect of them. But Harry Yeide wrote a book that lays it all out.

Michael

One ww2 recognition guide I have states that it succeeded the m3 75mm howitzer mount halftrack, it  was used with troops as close support. I have seen pictures of it being used as being used as short range artillery. It carried a couple of 75mm HEAT rounds, in case an enemy tank showed up.

8 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Confused. It's there at least in CMBN - September 1944.

The problem is that it is not available in the normal OOB for the the squadron in QBs. You might be able to purchase them as single vehicles (haven't checked on that recently), but their position in the OOB would not be legit.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

2 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

The problem is that it is not available in the normal OOB for the the squadron in QBs. You might be able to purchase them as single vehicles (haven't checked on that recently), but their position in the OOB would not be legit.

Michael

Sorry I'm only thinking of scenarios here and not QB's. Typing this from the office at work and funnily enough I'm not allowed to install CM onto these computers. :P Need to relook at this when I get home.

And yes sorry no M8 HMC's in the QB selection for Cavalry Troops. They do exist under the scenario editor though which was what I was thinking. (Sorry don't play a lot of QB).

I was under the impression M8's were organically attached to the Cavalry Squadrons. The game assigns them two per troop however if they actually operated exclusively like this in the field or not I would question. The Luneville scenario I mentioned, my research suggests all M8 HMC's were working together against the advancing Panthers, rather than running with the Greyhounds and jeeps of the cavalry troops.