Is Fulda Gap most likely never in the cards?

14 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Hmmm, that sounds familiar. I saw something much like that on an early Mac in 1986. A friend and I played a few turns trying without success to provoke Armageddon just to see what that would be like. The game looked like a lot of thought and work had gone into it, and I was sorry that I never saw it again.

Michael

That's the one. Had it on my old Mac Performa.  (before iMac)

5 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

All they need to do is make a trailer with this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxeWuwOXHbE

I picked up Flashpoint Campaigns on sale yesterday, still haven't tried it out.

Fun game. My favourite one regrading the cold war. In the next year we should see Southern storm with the Canadian , French, czech and east germans added to the game.  

Anyway, my tip to you is to read the manual, it will explain a lot and if you need anyone to play in the future,i could be your man!

20 hours ago, Panzerpanic said:

Fun game. My favourite one regrading the cold war. In the next year we should see Southern storm with the Canadian , French, czech and east germans added to the game.  

Anyway, my tip to you is to read the manual, it will explain a lot and if you need anyone to play in the future,i could be your man!

Thank you, my dude!

Been busy with organizing a bloody tabletop game this week. Hopefully that'll clear up, I can sit down, and maybe learn how to play a game again xD.

I would really like to see a Fulda Gap game show up sometimes. It should present the time of the seventees, because it would be very different to WWII and not showing all the software driven gadgets we see at CM:BS and CM:SF. There would be a very variable terrain, lots of interesting equipment of many different nations and lot of opportunities for add on modules. Even if it takes some years from now, it should definitively be on the roadmap. For me a must buy. And, additionally, many German terrain items could be reused from the end of WWII module already planned.

Man, I would love to initiate a counterattack using Leopard1, HS30, recon with Hotchkiss SPz Kurz or Luchs and all this other fancy equipment against hordes of Sovjet tanks.

1 hour ago, hank24 said:

I would really like to see a Fulda Gap game show up sometimes. It should present the time of the seventees, because it would be very different to WWII and not showing all the software driven gadgets we see at CM:BS and CM:SF. There would be a very variable terrain, lots of interesting equipment of many different nations and lot of opportunities for add on modules. Even if it takes some years from now, it should definitively be on the roadmap. For me a must buy. And, additionally, many German terrain items could be reused from the end of WWII module already planned.

Man, I would love to initiate a counterattack using Leopard1, HS30, recon with Hotchkiss SPz Kurz or Luchs and all this other fancy equipment against hordes of Sovjet tanks.

Because Battlefront does not publish a game covering this, I think it is worth your while to take a serious look at Matrix Games' forthcoming "Armoured Brigade" title due for release 15-Nov-2018.

On 11/11/2018 at 12:52 PM, Badger73 said:

Because Battlefront does not publish a game covering this, I think it is worth your while to take a serious look at Matrix Games' forthcoming "Armoured Brigade" title due for release 15-Nov-2018.

This +1.  If we ever do get an CW combat mission title, there will be plenty of map/campaign inspiration material to pull from for the community.   I am probably going to pick that one up, really liking how they designed their map system for the random battle generator.  Amd the in game database editor for creating/editing units.   Its gonna have some great modability and near infinite replayability.   Hoping we do get to see CM Fulda Gap sometime in the future, maybe a first title for CM3?

• 5 months later...

If we don't see a CM:Fulda Gap style game, IMHO based on the comments hereabouts, it would represent a massive missed opportunity.....A fair chunk of the WarPac equipment already exists in CM:A & CM:SF, seems a shame not to (re)use it.  ;)

PS - A Cold War game could easily feature an expansion pack later on, set in, say.....Afghanistan!  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

It would be nice, but I can understand why they wouldn't. The two modern games cover the two tactical extremes pretty well - symmetric and asymmetric warfare. CMSF is a reasonable stand-in for Iraq, Afghanistan, the Syrian civil war, etc. etc., and CMBS will pick up most symmetric scenarios, including the war in the Ukraine.

There's also a consideration about the number of games that Battlefront can support, or that we're happy to pay for.

Would a 1985 game add more to the line than a 1943 North African one? What if you had to choose? Opinions will differ, of course.

I do think a 1985 (or 1979) game would be interesting, and quite distinct from CMBS. I'm not so certain that it's better than any of the other options for CM titles.

3 hours ago, Thomm said:

See "Arma 3 Creator DLC: Global Mobilization - Cold War Germany" on Steam/YouTube

The mod they cannibalized to make that was much cooler -- it had USSR, USA and even North Korea.

3 hours ago, domfluff said:

I do think a 1985 (or 1979) game would be interesting, and quite distinct from CMBS. I'm not so certain that it's better than any of the other options for CM titles.

Nostalgia sells these days. A Cold War game would sell like hot cakes, think of how many nations can get their own packs? It's an era that is still relevant, and in recent memory -- but quite different technology wise. It really depends if BFC is personally interested in the period. I know they said they won't ever make WW2 Pacific games.

How about a game set in 1962? During the Cuban Missile Crisis? It's a fairly well-researched conflict, and historically significant. 1960's Caribbean is a very fresh setting for a wargame. Various branches of the US would encounter UNCON Cuban guerrillas, as well as a significant combined-arms Soviet force.

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

...A fair chunk of the WarPac equipment already exists in CM:A & CM:SF, seems a shame not to (re)use it.

As far as CM:A goes, there might be legal complications with using proprietary work from that game. Although it did use the CM game engine, everything else was apparently created by the company that produced it.

Michael

Come on guys!

Don't you know asymmetrical warfare is the latest craze! All the worlds crackpots with disillusions of grandeur are doing it!

"You broke my heart 'cause I couldn't fight unconventionally, You didn't even want me around. And now I'm back to let you know I can really shake 'em down.

Do you love me? (I can really terrorize, ) Do you love me? (I'm in a murderous mood.) Now do you love me? (Do you love me now that I can smash a defense?) Watch me, now. (Work, work) Ah,work it out baby. (work, work) Well, you're drivin' me crazy. (work, work) With just a little bit of religious fervor, now (work!) Now I can mash civilians, I can do the unexpected twist, Tell me, baby, do you like it like this? Tell me, (Tell me,) Tell me."     "Now that I can (take a ) chance" by Homer-cidal and the Terror-wrists

883574.jpg.d06e22db1868bb59fd69b93a588b28bd.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:55 AM, Thomm said:

M163 Vulcan:  1968 ... 1994

Be still, my beating heart...

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, IICptMillerII said:

Blacktail defense is NOT a credible source. He has an entire video series devoted to how "terribly awful" the Abrams tank is. The information is so off base and false that I honestly think the entire channel is a parody/satire channel at this point.

But it sure is fun to watch.