Is Fulda Gap most likely never in the cards?

As I recall, Steve once said Battlefront was not interested in doing a game on something that never happened. Now some of you will say CMSF never happened, but at the time it was developed the setting was still in the future , so CMSF has been, as they say, "Grandfathered in" as an exception now. Black Seas is also still a future setting. Any way I just wanted to enquire if Battlefront's position on NATO vs Warsaw Pact has not changed and is likely to never be in the cards. There is still a lot to do for the existing families and completing the Ost Front after all which is a desire for Battlefront.

And can I call for a bit of restraint in posting your favorite setting wish in this thread please? :)   

Well these are the subjects I recall Steve saying they would never do ( Of course my memory is far from perfect):

Arab-Israeli Wars.

WWII Pacific

Anything Naval

Anything where cavalry was common.

A war that never occurred (hence Fulda Gap).

2 hours ago, kinophile said:

What was the rationale for not doing Arab Israeli wars? Danger of rapant politicization? 

BFC has never as far as I know commented on the subject. But I'd say that is a pretty good guess.

I have serious doubts myself whether that is a valid reason since there have been a large number of boardgames published on the subject with SFAIK getting their offices firebombed or even losing any sales. It's a valid historical subject and the public by and large appears to accept it as such.

Michael

Ive always wanted a CM Fulda Gap ideally with modules not just say for new servixe branches but also maybe a new year say original is 1985, 3rd module is a 1978 bunch of units you could do on same maps.

Though seeing as theyd have to make a lot of new stuff Ive always held a candle maybe if enough of us got on board we could persuade BFC that a good finisher title for the CMx2 engine after west and east are done to take the models etc from east amf west and germany and do a WW3 1945 scenario. Even the TO&Es would be the same only maybe different for a reconstituted Wehrmacht if the Allies did that.  Frankly I dont think we would have done it. Maybe a few small units and volunteers but Germany was just tapped out by 1945.

15 hours ago, Sequoia said:

A war that never occurred (hence Fulda Gap).

Considering the amount of historical research (TO&Es, battle plans, wargames) on the Fulda Gap scenario, I think it's a much more believable scenario than either BS or the two SF games.

16 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Ive always wanted a CM Fulda Gap ideally with modules not just say for new servixe branches but also maybe a new year say original is 1985, 3rd module is a 1978 bunch of units you could do on same maps.

It's ripe for all sorts of DLC. From all the various nations in the Warsaw Pact/NATO to additional theaters like Scandinavia and Balkans -- even if they stick to one time period.

9 hours ago, Thomm said:

I am still unsure: "Heart" or "Upvote"? What is the consensus?

Heart.

av7E5Mn_700b.jpg

All this being said, I do think that BFC has plenty on their plate before making a completely new CM with a completely new setting. From what I gathered their most immediate focus is on new modules for existing games. Frankly, I'd love to see all the CM games get the CM:Normandy treatment.

New Fortress Italy Module in production...

New Red Thunder Module in production...

New Black Sea Module?

CMSF 2's like a new CM game -- new SF2 Module?

I doubt we'll get any more love for Final Blitzkrieg though -- it is aptly named "Final" after all.

52 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

I doubt we'll get any more love for Final Blitzkrieg though -- it is aptly named "Final" after all.

BFC has said somewhere on these forums that the CMFB title will go to the end of the war.  So there will be at least one module for CMFB.      

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

BFC has said somewhere on these forums that the CMFB title will go to the end of the war.  So there will be at least one module for CMFB

Indeed, I remember that the module for CMFB shoud cover the invasion of Germany.

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

BFC has said somewhere on these forums that the CMFB title will go to the end of the war.  So there will be at least one module for CMFB.      

Yeah, I think FB needs more allies (Britain, Canada, Poland). I'd love to see Scheldt -- but that'd be a prequel. I guess the asymmetric warfare of the last few months could be fun. Not too enthused about beating a dead horse. Feels like you'd spend more time securing POWs rather than anything else.

3 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Feels like you'd spend more time securing POWs rather than anything else.

Don't kid yourself. The battles involved in closing to and crossing the Rhine had plenty of hard fighting. Pick up where BN left off with BotB as a particularly intense interlude and then you'd have it. The easy stuff you are talking about didn't start until after the reduction and capture of the Ruhr.

Michael

57 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Don't kid yourself. The battles involved in closing to and crossing the Rhine had plenty of hard fighting. Pick up where BN left off with BotB as a particularly intense interlude and then you'd have it. The easy stuff you are talking about didn't start until after the reduction and capture of the Ruhr.

Michael

True. But anyway, there's a potential for a FB expansion - Patton at Metz, Colmar Pocket, crossing the Rhine, Ruhr pocket... And of course the British expansions with Canadians and Poles - aforementioned Scheldt or Rhineland. Well, that would be at least two expansions - one Americans with the addition of the French and second British with the Allied nations.