Bad performance

ViperX

20-35fps is unfortunately normal with this game in big scenarios when zoomed out, (almost) no matter the hardware. FPS Depends on the size of the scenario, heavily on the camera hight (more stuff on the screen) and graphics settings. Maybe record a video with an FPS counter, list graphics settings and maybe graphs of fps, CPU load, GPU load and frametimes.

What I remember off the top of my head; with my RTX2080 + i5-6600k (OC 4,7GHz) I get 30+/-10fps on bigger scenarios and 60fps with the small and tiny ones in normal gameplay. Around medium settings. With the absolute most complex and largest maps, framerate goes sub 10fps with the "right" camera angles.

Yes, this is a horrible performance but I can tolerate it in a turn-based strategy(sim-ish) game that does everything else like no other. My goto experience would be 144hz/1440p...

Leave the model/world detail on "balanced", you won´t notice much visual difference but performance impact is huge. Try enabling HPP and install on a SSD. Try disabling vsync or nvidia gsync in case it is turned on.

Edited by The Wolves of Steel

I have a mediocre laptop I use pretty much just for CM, performance is silky smooth with the demo.  Noticed a long time ago as mentioned above, turning details to balanced or just lowering them from best makes a huge difference in FPS without much noticable difference in visuals.  Also, yeah, shadows off, not necessary for the experience. 

39 minutes ago, homewrecker said:

I have a mediocre laptop I use pretty much just for CM, performance is silky smooth with the demo.  Noticed a long time ago as mentioned above, turning details to balanced or just lowering them from best makes a huge difference in FPS without much noticable difference in visuals.  Also, yeah, shadows off, not necessary for the experience. 

I am pretty sure we define "silky smooth" entirely differently. 

16 hours ago, ViperX said:

i have 20-35 fps in this game,

Please change thread title to "good performance" ;) 

It is worth limiting the FPS to 30 in the Nvidia settings and then enabling vsync, you will get fewer peaks and troughs which will make it smoother.

Frame rates will respond well to overclocking (you should be able to get your CPU to 4.2Ghz without much effort).

Edited by Jock Tamson

CMSF2 does seem a bit tricky to optimize (compared with Red Thunder) however I've gotten it to run nicely, whilst still looking good, by making sure "thread optimization" is switched off on your Nvidia settings & just toning down the game settings one level down (from "Best" to "Excellent").

That can save over 10,000 "draw calls" on a heavy foilage scene*, I can't percieve any visual difference from "Best" (certainly none worth doubling my "draw calls" over) & it leads me to have frame processing speeds of 30-60ms.

I have no idea how an fps of 20-35 could be causing you any issues as that's positively nippy for me.

I suspect there is some other optimization issue going on (try adjusting your Nvidia Vsync settings...  mine is on "half adaptive refresh rate" although your system might be different).

*One other cool feature of reshade is it allows you to see such stats.

8 hours ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

I am pretty sure we define "silky smooth" entirely differently. 

Well then exclude me when referring to "we".

I´ve got a notebook myself which has considerable slower GPU than the OP´s system but a similar I7 CPU  system and with a SSD and leaving detail settings on default I´ve just noticed draw distance differences compared to excellent (especially bushes and trees).

With this notebook I get 70 fps when not adjusting the camera and 40 - 50 fps when flying mid-altitute over the map quickly which applies good fps stress because this is the moment where many draw calls are happening that slow your game down (sure 100 waypoints executed in the same second would even lower this). I always play with shadows on but toggling that off even raises it to 50 - 60 frames and when completely zoomed out or zoomed in nearly to 90-100 frames without even turning those detail settings down and even kept ingame AA on because I was to lazy to turn it off for this test. By doing that I would even gain another bunch of frames.

Thus I can agree and at least from my impressions confirm what homewrecker says and never ever worried about my performance on that system no matter what scenario I´ve booted up.

Which of course doesn´t mean that I claim that the engine is super optimized and without faults.

Edited by Mattis

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

35 fps is 10 fps faster than standard movie fps.

Ah not with this argument again. Watching a movie does not give me a slideshow in my had that this game makes so clearly in my books movie FPS and his game's FPS can not be compared as apples to apples but rather apples to cakes.  :D 

53 minutes ago, Hister said:

Ah not with this argument again. Watching a movie does not give me a slideshow in my had that this game makes so clearly in my books movie FPS and his game's FPS can not be compared as apples to apples but rather apples to cakes.  :D 

I agree.

A GSYNC monitor might help though. :D

8 hours ago, 37mm said:

CMSF2 does seem a bit tricky to optimize (compared with Red Thunder) however I've gotten it to run nicely, whilst still looking good, by making sure "thread optimization" is switched off on your Nvidia settings & just toning down the game settings one level down (from "Best" to "Excellent").

That can save over 10,000 "draw calls" on a heavy foilage scene*, I can't percieve any visual difference from "Best" (certainly none worth doubling my "draw calls" over) & it leads me to have frame processing speeds of 30-60ms.

I have no idea how an fps of 20-35 could be causing you any issues as that's positively nippy for me.

I suspect there is some other optimization issue going on (try adjusting your Nvidia Vsync settings...  mine is on "half adaptive refresh rate" although your system might be different).

*One other cool feature of reshade is it allows you to see such stats.

Interesting. Disabling 'threaded optimization' does indeed seem to give extra FPS, although I haven't tested thoroughly.