Redfor Campaign?

Unlikely - there has been no mention of a Syrian campaign in any of Steve's posts. The consistent theme from BFC for this title has been simply to update CMSF1 to the new engine so with a few minor exceptions such as on map bridges, water features, mortars and UAVs, I would work on the premise that the scenarios and campaigns (albeit updated to take into account new editor features) will be the same as those that shipped with CMSF1.

As already mentioned there are a handful of user made RedFor campaigns and scenario's out there for CMSF1 that work with CMSF2. @George MC did a great scenario called "Daraya Tank Raid" that I've confirmed works in CMSF2. Highly recommend playing it when CMSF2 comes out. Not sure if George will be reduxing it at all, but as is it's still great. 

Here's the link to the scenario and accompanying PDF on The Few Good Men:
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2/cm-shock-force/cmsf-daraya-tank-raid/

10 hours ago, domfluff said:

Steve has said there are no intentions to release anything further for CMSF 2, but... 

How many times has Steve changed his mind? No drones, oh drones. No new module, oh wait. I can't believe we won't see battle packs with the potential of CMSF2.

All we really need is someone to convert Paper Tigers excellent MASSIVE  Redfor on Redfor "Road to Dinas" campaign, which also is branching and so big your wins and losses really seem to affect things and progress. Versus other campaigns Ive had where Id lose a mission terribly - knowing because the briefing I was the absolute last chance - and fail and after the battle still progress.

Excellent campaign and sooo prescient, people talk about BFC guessing hotspots but PT even got the civil war thing right.

+1 re Road to Dinas.  Xnt Campaign - altho I got seriously stuck on one mission near the end of the campaign.  Replayed it a dozen times and could never win (or finish the campaign).  :(    PT did that in other campaigns so he's a bit of a sadist imo.   ^_^

"Zawiya Uprising" is also xnt and memorable for being a lot of fun and very playable.

There are many other campaigns made for CMSF1 that were very good, but the above two were the ones I remember the most.  Cos CMSF1 was the only CM2 title for so long, designers got to be very very good at making interesting campaigns. 

The CM2 feature whereby the casualties and ammo from one mission carries over to the next is a feature that one doesn't see used in campaigns from many of the newer games.  Instead designers often give you all-new and newly replenished units for subsequent missions.  Am a big fan of having an important aspect of a campaign be force and ammo conservation.

I played CM:A last year, it's so archaic now but it really fascinating game for me because I knew virtually nothing of the Soviet-Afghan war. The Cold War is a badly neglected theatre the CM games could do a lot with. I'm sure that horse has been beaten thoroughly. 

The lack of a RED campaign in SF2 doesn't surprise me now or then either. Invariably it would be defensive battling, which does not lend itself well to a campaign structure although it can be done. (See, German campaign in Market Garden add-on for BN)

I get a kick out of playing the Syrians, because the odds are so badly stacked against them. The poor Syrian Army, modeled like a Russian Tank Army but lacking many of the critical features to complete the work such as air supremacy and heavy artillery support. After playing the WW2 games the Syrian Army's 1945 esque design is so much more apparent to me now, with all of its disadvantages, and some surprising advantages I certainly did not consider in the proper context back when I played SF1. 

There was a really good attempt at a CM:A Redfor campaign:
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-afghanistan-2/cm-afghanistan-campaigns/salang-blues-campaign/

Playing through this, and reading The Other Side of the Mountain, it's definitely possible to do, albeit somewhat repetitive (a lot of the early game of the above involves ambushing convoys of trucks and running away).

I think it's doable, but not necessarily a good idea - it's hard to gain the initiative on any kind of decent scale, and for all of the upgrades to the AI, it's still difficult to make it attack in a reasonably effective fashion.

Red vs Red (especially Syria vs Insurgent) campaigns are a different story, of course.

The Syrians are conducting a defense which in all cases, leaves their force without the initiative. The most they could expect to achieve is within those repetitive convoy ambushes because the assets necessary to fully wield Deep Battle are not there. The nature of the war theyre fighting leaves them with only one avenue for success, which is to inflict heavy casualties on BLUFOR. The tools at the disposal of a poor nation leave it capable of little else. 

I think the most succinct issue is that everyone keeps trying to follow the Operation Iraqi Freedom Script for Shock Force. (Understandable, the game was designed to emulate it and Desert Storm.) A credible campaign depicting the Syrians with the advantage could be done. A blitz campaign against one of its neighbors (a fictional neighbor would be wise) backed by weak western garrison troops, reminiscent of the Korean War, as an example.

Edited by SimpleSimon

Personally, I think some of the maps and textures are astonishingly ugly - much more so than cmsf 1 - and the scenario quality is much more variable than most cm games, but the core experience of the game is solid.

It's a cool setting though (80's soviet tech vs insurgents is good for all the reasons that syria vs uncons are interesting in cmsf), and The Bear Went Over The Mountain provides a lot of scenario fodder. A remake would be welcomed, but that seems unlikely.