Unit Purchase Criteria

Ok, I have pretty much been using Mix (in QB screen) and 'Suggestion' Only (player has to use whatever is in that formation w/o deleting) when playing against AI or Human for past few yrs as it's just a quick and easy way to Purchase a whole formation (If you cycle through the 'Suggestion' Only, then you will eventually find a Formation you like)...However, it does limit what is in that formation (limited Teams, Vehicles, etc).

What guide lines do you use for Player Purchase of the Formation first, then of individual Teams & Vehicles ?..I just don't want a Player purchasing a whole Infantry Formation and delete everything from it, but say an HQ, and use the 90% left over points to buy all Armor, Field Pieces, or Snipers, etc.

Now, I do remember (once or twice over the yrs) allowing a Player to purchase a Formation (deleting stuff), and then with left over points to change Moral, Purchase Teams & Vehicles, etc...However, I just can't remember how I went about doing it in a realistic fashion.

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

I hand pick my units, but I try to stay within realistic/historical constraints. That is, I try to match forces to the mission and the constraints of expected opposition, terrain, weather, etc. I often adjust soft factors, but again, I try to stay within realistic bounds. Which is to say I have never selected troops with superhuman capabilities nor fanatic morale, but neither have I played with troops who were rank amateurs, though I suppose that could pose an interesting challenge...of sorts...but that just happens not to be the way I want to play. I will often attach specialized units or units from another formation. This was a common practice and again allows me to tailor my force to the mission.

Michael

I think that in general, the game allows us to cherry-pick a bit too much, stripping formations of jeeps, trucks, halftracks that we don't need, but that were there historically.

Also, some unit prices are a bit off, which means it's usually the same few vehicles that are purchased in most matches. Some AFVs just seem much better bargains than others.

For example, I see few people ever purchasing StuGs, because they cost 300 points - most people prefer to either spend 65 extra points and upgrade to a Panther (costing zero rarity points!), or save 54 points and get a Panzer IV instead, sacrificing a bit of armour but getting two (usable) machine guns, a turret (and better spotting, I believe) in return.

Or go for a Hetzer, which is actually cheaper than a StuG but way better armoured in the front.

Edited by Bulletpoint

21 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think that in general, the game allows us to cherry-pick a bit too much, stripping formations of jeeps, trucks, halftracks that we don't need, but that were there historically.

I find that less objectionable personally. It was historically not uncommon on the scale of CM for a lot of baggage (to include vehicles) to be left behind the firing line. These may have been a solid part of the TO&E (or "otherwise acquired") of the unit, but if not actually required for the mission that day, there was no reason to expose them to danger.

Michael

I think will do (which is what I probably did the last time) is still use the 'Suggestion' (just quick & easier to purchase) but allow the player to either delete any one PHQ (HQ and it's Units) of his choice, or delete up to 25% of total points, then use those extra points to buy whatever in the 'Teams' & Vehicles' sections.

Anyways, something along those lines...

Thanks again, guys.