Attacking a reverse slope

Small (easy to oversee) ridges bare of concealment that cannot be flanked/evaded are the worst kind of thing, especially if there are no hills around to take a look what's behind them. A few ideas:

• Have a TRP - my latest game reminded me of that. If there are reverse slopes on the map, buy that TRP. 30 pts is still cheaper than the squad you're going to loose if you crest that ridge without smoke. As far as I know, onmap mortars can also target reverse slopes, so if the ridge/hill is not too steep, you should at least be able to lay down a smoke screen that lets you crest the ridge even if you don't have a TRP.  
  • The problem when going over the ridge with infantry is that the enemy usually is waiting for you - he's prone and stationary (good spotting, hard to spot), while your guys are moving upright (bad spotting, easy to spot).This is especially true if there is no concealment on the ridge. With vehicles, you have a very similar problem (hidden + stationary versus moving).
  • With infantry, consider crawling over the ridge if some concealment is available. Even if you suffer casualties, they will be more limited. The big downside is that it will slow you down horribly, which increases the danger of an artillery strike if you're detected. In modern titles, this is obviously more risky as better spotting devices are available (IR/heat detection). PS: Don't fire!!! (unless you're already detected by many enemy positions). Soldiers are spotted individually. Even if one gets spotted and shot, the rest of the squad might be safe - by firing, they give away their position.
  • When you really have to push, I think it's a good idea to take a look first. Crawl some infantry up the ridge, use the hide command to stay low, un-hide your infantry for a few turns so that they can just look over the ridge (some guys will kneel). Crawl a bit further and unhide to risk another look, etc. This increases the area you're exposing yourself to and you can observe in little increments. At some point you will have gained a picture of what's awaiting you in the dead ground on the other side. Needless to say that this takes lots and lots of time. Next, share this information (via C2) with the troops who are going to push. For the actual push, make sure that all assets crest the ridge at the same time to throw the enemy's fire into chaos (that's why I find crawling is not the method for infantry to push over a ridge) and reduce your units' total time of exposure. Area fire at the targets that you've been scouting. Try to get to the depression on the other side of the ridge fast - often the top of the ridge is exposed to many enemy positions.  
  • With vehicles, shooting and scooting can be usefull. First scout for targets with infantry as described above. Then drive up your tanks/vehicles in hulldown positions for 10 seconds or so, either with a target arc on an identified target or an area fire order. After 10 seconds, your vehicles need to reverse back behind the ridge. Unless the enemy is very close and experienced, 10 seconds should give you a chance to retreat back into cover before the enemy can spot and zero-in on you. This is especially true against ATGMs who travel at relatively slow speed. For your next shoot & scoot, pick a different spot (the enemy will still have a suspected contact on your former position). As with infantry scouting, fight as little of the enemy at any time, expose yourself little by little. Again, fighting like this takes a lot of time. More time than many scenarios would give to you.
Edited by Kaunitz

I remember doing this for one scenario. I was attacking an extensive enemy trench line + bunkers behind a slope. There were a couple areas that I could sneak some scouts and observers into to look at their positions, but I couldn't do much more than that. I would have to attack it frontally. So I massed my whole force just behind the crest of the ridge, and prepared a smokescreen. Rather than smoke the ridge itself to let my troops go over it, I dropped smoke directly over half the enemy trench line, leaving the other half exposed. Then I went over the top. The smokescreen divided the enemy force and halved their firepower, so I could halt on top of the ridge and then concentrate my entire force's firepower on that one exposed enemy half. If I had smoked the ridge instead, then my force would still be exposed to 100% of the enemy's firepower once the smoke cleared.

I took casualties, but I was able to suppress that exposed half, making sure to concentrate on their heavy weapons first. Once the smoke cleared, I could shift fire toward the other half of the enemy trenches. As soon as the enemy bunkers and heavy weapons were destroyed or suppressed, I sent the infantry forward in a big wave to mop up the enemy riflemen and HQ teams that I missed earlier. It ended up working really well in the end!

4 hours ago, Kaunitz said:
  • Have a TRP - my latest game reminded me of that. If there are reverse slopes on the map, buy that TRP.

In a PBEM Quick Battle this is what I try to do.  Of course if it is a scenario the scenario designer may not provide TRPs.  On the offense I choose my route of advance from my map recon before the mission (in CM games I generally prefer command push over recon pull).  Then during setup I usually place three to four TRPs to support the scheme of maneuver with reverse slopes a high priority for getting TRPs.     

7 minutes ago, Bozowans said:

I dropped smoke directly over half the enemy trench line, leaving the other half exposed. Then I went over the top. The smokescreen divided the enemy force and halved their firepower, so I could halt on top of the ridge and then concentrate my entire force's firepower on that one exposed enemy half.

+1  That was clever!!!  I'll have to remember that (of course I'm sure the wind won't cooperate when I try :lol:).  

Depending on map contours, a disadvantage of the defender being on a reverse slope is they may not have LOS on the terrain directly in front of (under) them. You can use that to your advantage. The trick is to have a standoff support weapon (mmg) area firing on the crest so they cannot come forward to engage your forces.

6 hours ago, domfluff said:

Assuming you absolutely *have* to go over the top, rather than flanking, a reverse slope position, how do you plan to go about it?

Conceptually, this is not hugely different across titles - the one exception is for drones + indirect fire, so that's presumably cheating.

The Germans used to plan whole defenses around fighting from the reverse slope in Italy. The Americans would silhouette themselves as they went over the top and present easy targets. A defender has a slight advantage with that in mind but you can take it back with smoke and high angle fire. Kaunitz is right that TRPs should be placed in the enemy's rear and then used if you're convinced what's back there is going to put up a big fight. I usually detail Division Guns or Corp Guns if I have them, in the 155mm range, to firing on the reverse in planned bombardments. That's where you can expect HQ or enemy fire support assets to be located if they're on map. Mortars i'll keep in reserve to deal with holdouts still determined to die for the Fatherland. 

A good terrain analysis will show you were significant reverse slope defenses can take place. A little pre-planned fires will go a long way, just set it to be delayed to the max. If you make it there early, wait it out. If you make it there late, scouts out and get a BDA. Alternatively, put smoke RIGHT on the ridge that you have to crest. This will at least offer you a chance to get a base of fire in place before the smoke dissipates and your men take fire again.

IMO, reverse slope defense is one of the best defensive strategies out there if you can employ it.

It certainly works if your enemy tries to pursue your force right on the heel. On the operational level though it's a losing proposition for the defender, since now an enemy can use the slope to maneuver on or enfilade other positions. That's outside the scope of the games for the most part. Didn't stop German accounts from describing reverse slope defense as some kind of genius Germanic subversion of conventional tactics and not just because their positions on the hill face were deleted by howitzers. 😋

On 10/18/2018 at 4:00 PM, domfluff said:

Assuming you absolutely *have* to go over the top, rather than flanking, a reverse slope position, how do you plan to go about it?

Conceptually, this is not hugely different across titles - the one exception is for drones + indirect fire, so that's presumably cheating.

Just to make the joke (though it comes from a Napoleonics expert):

„Why go for the flank, when you can crash through the center?“

Hm, but there is some CM truth in it: In “flank attacks” I often enough run into secondary defenses, which make them time consuming, costly and useless.

I would think, the reason is, that the „normal“ CM map does not allow for tactical movement in a larger scale. Of course, there are exceptions.

I've had some success with lobbing direct fire from stubby barrelled howitzers like the 75mm L24 or the M8. They have an arcing trajectory that drops off. Typically when targeting the peak of the hill at more than 400 meters in game, further the better, shallow heights as well nothing too vertical. If the reverse slope is shallow you can get lucky with a round every once in a while, some land short others skim the peak and explode close enough to rattle someone behind it. It's not efficient but it's fun.

I'm reminded of the old Henny Youngman joke. He went to a doctor and tol him "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." The doctor replied "Don't do that!" Some tactical situations are either going to be very costly or you're going to be very lucky, and rarely anything in between.