Demo Feedback

Erwin

I've been playing Breaking the bank scenario as Syrians. Near the central square of the map there are some tall buildings with several destroyed civilian cars near the buildings.
I assume they are supposed to be Syrian, not western cars. If I choose a unit near the top of those buildings that does not have line of sight to those cars, it shows them as ?-symbols to show them as unknown vehicles I think. But the icons are blue as if they were British cars.

It seems that trenches aren't working properly.  They line up fine in a straight line, but any attempt to make a T- or L-shaped fortification results in the intersecting trench piece to disappear.  I've checked it a couple of dozen different ways nand it always comes out the same...a missing trench piece.  I realize they are still testing the game and that Charles has removed "stuff"  to decrease the size of the demo, so it may be no biggie.   Just pointing it out should BFC not be aware of it.

https://imgur.com/a/xypVP88

https://imgur.com/Q7fhFJY

https://imgur.com/SQXdANo

https://imgur.com/gZb3tLb

Edit: Crap, first time trying to post an Imjur image...all I can get it to do is to link them.  Should go back to Photobucket I guess.

Edited by mjkerner
Add info

On 10/21/2018 at 1:36 PM, Erwin said:

I didn't find that. When I used TARGET the Bradleys fired their 25mm not their TOWS.   IIRC the AI decides when it's appropriate to fire TOWS and there is no way the player can order TOWS to be fired. 

TARGET LIGHT should fire the MG.  However, I found that on several occasions a Bradley would fire its 25mm.  This is not the way it used to be.

So, has the SOP of the game system AI been changed?

Ok so now after playing through passage to wilcox again I've realized the difficulties.  My Brads all use the 25mm when target light order is issued.  Which did wipe out half a squad and panic a squad of engineers.  What a pain!  I did witness the use the coax on their own on multiple occasions, so weird.  I dont remember this being as much of an issie in SF1, correct me if I'm wrong.  Abrams all use the coax or mounted 762 if opened up.  Could it be the weapons loadout?  Target causes them to unleash the Tows, as well as target briefly.  So relatively the 25mm is lighter than a Tow?  Minor coding issue?

Appologies if this sounds goofy, I have zero experience play testing.

Edited by homewrecker

23 minutes ago, homewrecker said:

My Brads all use the 25mm when target light order is issued. 

Glad someone else noticed this.  It was mentioned some days ago.  Not sure if this is a bug, or we simply do not know why the AI may choose a TOW, or the 25mm or the MG when targeting (either LIGHT or full TARGET).

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

Glad someone else noticed this.  It was mentioned some days ago.  Not sure if this is a bug, or we simply do not know why the AI may choose a TOW, or the 25mm or the MG when targeting (either LIGHT or full TARGET).

It was you who pointed it out to me Erwin, I just went back to check.  Coax isnt fired with the crew opened up either.  I couldnt get the Brads to use their coax on my orders, they only use it on their own volition.  

Just started playing The Passage at Wilcox as a PBEM. I have the blue forces. When I read my briefing, the orders are to secure OBJ1, but when I look at the scoring for the objectives, OBJ1, which I assume is the top objective in the list, there is no OBJ 1, just a number. Is Wilcox itself OBJ 1, or is this a bug?

In "The Alamo", playing as the Germans, my biggest losses came from panicked Germans running out through the gate of the fortress right in front of the guns of the attackers.

That seemed very odd, especially since there were plenty of spots to hide inside the fortress itself, as a susequent play-through as the Syrians painfully demostrated to me.

Best regards,
Thomm

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:43 AM, Thomm said:

In "The Alamo", playing as the Germans, my biggest losses came from panicked Germans running out through the gate of the fortress right in front of the guns of the attackers.

That seemed very odd, especially since there were plenty of spots to hide inside the fortress itself, as a susequent play-through as the Syrians painfully demostrated to me.

Best regards,
Thomm

I haven't done this yet but, after, my first go at it, I wondered, if placing my, soon to be destroyed, troop transports/supply vehicles, perpendicular, across the interior and exterior entrances, (that is, of course, after taking as much ammo out of them as I could, including, equipping the drivers and dismounting them to positions inside the fortress) would help keep my troops from fleeing the fortress which of course would delay the enemy troops from getting themselves embedded inside the fortress until my reinforcement's arrive, looks like I'm going to have to fire it up and give it a go.

I know it doesn't solve the fleeing troops problem but this seems to be problematic in the other platforms too, it kills me when I see panicked and broken enemy troops running and firing straight at me. It feels like we are being dumbed down purposely to make winning these scenario's harder and harder to win at, just try putting a point target arty request on the bmp in the training mission and you'll be guaranteed multiple hits on the mosque and every else except for the bmp, SF1 & Black Sea, never had a problem with precise arty mission requests. 

26 minutes ago, Ch53dVet said:

I haven't done this yet but, after, my first go at it, I wondered, if placing my, soon to be destroyed, troop transports/supply vehicles, perpendicular, across the interior and exterior entrances, (that is, of course, after taking as much ammo out of them as I could, including, equipping the drivers and dismounting them to positions inside the fortress) would help keep my troops from fleeing the fortress which of course would delay the enemy troops from getting themselves embedded inside the fortress until my reinforcement's arrive, looks like I'm going to have to fire it up and give it a go.

I know it doesn't solve the fleeing troops problem but this seems to be problematic in the other platforms too, it kills me when I see panicked and broken enemy troops running and firing straight at me. It feels like we are being dumbed down purposely to make winning these scenario's harder and harder to win at, just try putting a point target arty request on the bmp in the training mission and you'll be guaranteed multiple hits on the mosque and every else except for the bmp, SF1 & Black Sea, never had a problem with precise arty mission requests. 

Thats because artillery in Black Sea fire Excalibur GPS guided rounds or laser guided artillery rounds when ordered to fire on a "precision" target. In Shock Force a precision fire mission just means that the guns are firing at a small area with normal rounds.

Edited by Raptorx7

On 10/29/2018 at 8:43 AM, Thomm said:

Best regards,
Thomm

I got that too. I squad plotted a "panic route" to the far back of the compound through the main gate from which they took heavy fire. No enemies within the compound so basically any building section would have worked out better.

On 10/27/2018 at 10:53 AM, Erwin said:

Yah, I've also noticed this in the Wilcox battle.  I don't recall target LIGHT firing the 25mm in Black Sea, but I will check. 

More annoying however has been (a few times in the same battle) my infantry unleashing their Javelins at enemy squads (that were down to only a few men) about 50m away with Target Light.  This has to be a bug?  I know that's a dirty word, but why would they ever do that?

5 hours ago, aleader said:

Yah, I've also noticed this in the Wilcox battle.  I don't recall target LIGHT firing the 25mm in Black Sea, but I will check. 

More annoying however has been (a few times in the same battle) my infantry unleashing their Javelins at enemy squads (that were down to only a few men) about 50m away with Target Light.  This has to be a bug?  I know that's a dirty word, but why would they ever do that?

Using the Target command essentially tells a unit to use all of it's weaponry in the most destructive way possible. Target Light tells them to engage with small arms fire only, and to preserve heavy weapons. 

In the case of vehicles there seems to be more nuance. For the Bradley, if you give it a Target command against a building, it will fire TOWs. However if you give it a Target command on ground, it will fire the autocannon. If you give a Bradley a Target Light against a building, it will fire its autocannon. However, if the Bradley is moving while firing Target Light against a building, it will only use its coax. Note that this is only for the Bradley, and other vehicles with other weapon systems may be different. I am talking from personal experience, not authority, so it is possible what I described is not the case 100% of the time. Just what I have observed. 

The limited use of the coax makes sense to me. The coax is essentially a fallback weapon for the Bradley, not a primary. The gunner will engage enemy infantry in the open with a decent mix of coax and autocannon in my experience and I think the behavior is modeled well in that respect. 

58 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

For the Bradley, if you give it a Target command against a building, it will fire TOWs. However if you give it a Target command on ground, it will fire the autocannon. If you give a Bradley a Target Light against a building, it will fire its autocannon. However, if the Bradley is moving while firing Target Light against a building, it will only use its coax. Note that this is only for the Bradley

This would explain what we're observing.  However, this makes things "complex" as one often wants TARGET LIGHT vs buildings that are being assaulted by friendly infantry.  The 25mm will kill em.

12 hours ago, Ch53dVet said:

This is an excellent idea! It may block the entrance for enemy vehicles. Maybe infantry also??!?

I am very interested how this will turn out.

I think my biggest mistake when playing as the Germans was not to take the extra ammo out of the vehicles. Things started to go bad when my key defenders ran out of MG3 and AT ammo. Totally forgot about the Milan teams, too. Fortunately, the reinforcements are overwhelmingly strong ...

Best regards,
Thomm

12 hours ago, Ch53dVet said:

Ive tried that in my first playthrough and it didnt work. their tanks simply drove through them.

58 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

That's the only way in know until the white flag goes up. That you can spot from a bit farther away.

Michael

Some sort of feedback when zoomed out would be required to avoid a lot of confusion. I was hammering enemy troops with suppression fire and even artillery just to find out they surrendered already. Especially when they are in a building it is very hard to notice even when zoomed in.