Demo Feedback

Erwin

On 10/18/2018 at 7:37 AM, MikeyD said:

There's four types of water in the game. 'Water' and 'reeds' which infantry cannot cross, 'deep ford' and 'shallow ford' which they can. Fords are spotted by the presence of gravel banks (and if you peer beneath the water you'll see a gravel surface). There's also 'deep marsh' which men cannot cross and 'marsh' which they can. An easy way to spot them is to move a movement waypoint over them, if it turns from the red no-go symbol to green symbol you've found your ford.

I wonder if it would be possible to use this no-go symbol when you're plotting movement path for a vehicle through a fence, low wall etc and the vehicle cannot drive through it (but has to find some longer route to get to the other side of the fence/etc.)?

Why? Because this longer computer planned route can go to very surprising places like areas where enemy can destoy the vehicle.

Edited by SlowMotion

3 minutes ago, SlowMotion said:

When I played this scenario in turn based mode my attacking aircraft was destroyed  by those Shilkas. So worked fine in my case,

In my first quickspin playthrough of Alamo the Tornado was indeed destroyed. Giving it another go, the Tornado got of 1 maverick although it missed. On the second pass it was fired upon by 3 Shilka's, during the orders phase I could see the Tornado's status was 'evading'. It didn't make another pass but survived over a minute of heavy AAA.

On 10/17/2018 at 9:41 PM, Erwin said:

In "Passage To Wilcox" noticed that the Bradleys fire their main 25mm gun even when ordered to TARGET LIGHT.

Also, it's possible to use the FIST to order more than one discrete fire mission simultaneously - is that correct?

Even tho' there is no indication that inf cannot cross the stream on the RHS of the map, they refuse to do so and insist on moving across the bridge.  

Maybe I'm mis-remembering from Black Sea, but doesn't Target Light on IFVs just stop them firing their missiles rather than forcing them to use only their coax machine gun? 

Am interested in the answer to this as I have always assumed that TARGET LIGHT meant fire MG's. 

What is confusing, is that in the "Wilcox" scenario, I have seen some Bradleys which are ordered to TARGET LIGHT fire their 25mm and other Bradleys fire their MG's only.  

One Bradley has fired 4 missiles.  But not sure what made it do that.

Not sure if this is a bug, or if perhaps the type of target affects which weapons system is used, or what...?

At least during the setup phase of the "Beach Assault" scenario I saw trench sections vanish when placed in certain configurations. I think it was T shapes or right angles.

They were still selectable by their symbol but the 3/D object became invisible.

Best regards,
Thomm

11 hours ago, SlowMotion said:

When I played this scenario in turn based mode my attacking aircraft was destroyed  by those Shilkas. So worked fine in my case,

Playing this scenario I had my Tornado shot down.  Are there any other AA assets for the syrians in this scenario?  I didnt notice any but may be mistaken.

10 hours ago, Erwin said:

Am interested in the answer to this as I have always assumed that TARGET LIGHT meant fire MG's. 

What is confusing, is that in the "Wilcox" scenario, I have seen some Bradleys which are ordered to TARGET LIGHT fire their 25mm and other Bradleys fire their MG's only.  

One Bradley has fired 4 missiles.  But not sure what made it do that.

Not sure if this is a bug, or if perhaps the type of target affects which weapons system is used, or what...?

Does it depend on target?  My thought is given the nature of the game troops and vehicle crews do make their own decisions based on situations despite orders.  Could this be the case?

The problem is if you want to TARGET LIGHT an objective that your leg units are attacking danger close.  If the vehicle opens up with a main gun (anything over 50 cal IIRC) it can wound or kill your own men.  

This can happen often - more often than in RL (I sincerely hope).  Seems like there should be a game routine whereby a unit will refuse to fire a main weapons that is dangerous to inf if one's inf would likely be affected by it.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

The problem is if you want to TARGET LIGHT an objective that your leg units are attacking danger close.  If the vehicle opens up with a main gun (anything over 50 cal IIRC) it can wound or kill your own men.  

Not sure but I remember having understood at a given point that with TARGET LIGHT, you could not inflict friendly casaulties. Am I mistaken?

1 hour ago, ncc1701e said:

Not sure but I remember having understood at a given point that with TARGET LIGHT, you could not inflict friendly casaulties. Am I mistaken?

AFAIK it depends on the caliber. Above small arms fratricide is modeled, although I'm not sure about .50. 

5 hours ago, Lethaface said:

AFAIK it depends on the caliber. Above small arms fratricide is modeled, although I'm not sure about .50. 

IIRC 50 cal can damage one's own guys.  The question is which weapon is fired when one orders TARGET LIGHT?   As mentioned I have seen the Bradleys open up with their 25mm when ordered to TARGET LIGHT.  (Mostly when I change from TARGET to TARGET LIGHT - several times they carry on firing the 25mm.)  Not sure what AI mechanism is doing that, or if it's a bug.

Also, not sure what determines whether a missile is fired vs the main gun by ANY vehicle (Red or Blue) that possesses both weapons systems.

The precise logic of when ifv's fire missiles is exactly as obtuse as when infantry use grenades, grenade launchers or supporting weapons (especially things like AT weapons against infantry) - arguably that's a feature.

Clearly there are ways of forcing this - if you get infantry to within 30m, and the other side of a hillcrest, they wont be able to target with any other weapons, so giving them a target order for the other side of the crest will result in a volley of grenades.

BMPs and Bradleys clearly take a few things into consideration - they decide when they can damage the target, what the range is, etc., same as other units.The most reliable way to get them firing ATGMs is to sit them 1-2km away (or more) and let the tacAI sort itself out, since that's really how they're designed to be used.

The AT-5 on BMP-2 and especially AT-3 on BMP-1 have fairly significant minimum ranges as well, so you really don't want them firing these from too close, but there are a ton of other factors that wil prevent this, including finding cover from the Abrams you might be hopefully targeting.

10 hours ago, domfluff said:

The most reliable way to get them firing ATGMs is to sit them 1-2km away (or more) and let the tacAI sort itself out, since that's really how they're designed to be used.

Agreed.  This is the problem with the relatively small maps and/or short LOS opportunities most CM2 maps offer.  CMSF was much better in this regard as it had much longer LOS opportunities and we should see this in CMSF2 as well.  

On 10/24/2018 at 3:25 PM, ncc1701e said:

Playing "The Passage at Wilcox" scenario as RED forces, I have noticed one M1 running literally on another one. I have taken a small screenshot. Both M1 are operational.

W3ZYk.jpg

Yup, that sort of thing happens with all kinds of stuff every so often.  There is nothing we can do to prevent it.

Every unit (soldier, vehicle, weapon, etc.) has a "footprint" that the TacAI tries to avoid intersecting with other footprints.  However, it can only make approximations because there is no "collision detection" in Combat Mission to detect polygons intersecting with each other.  The detection hurts the framerate, but it is much worse than that because trying to write TacAI behavior to deal with these sorts of things is extremely difficult. We pick and choose our technology battles carefully, and this is one that we decided is not worth trying to fight.  Lots of effort, poor result.  Not the sort of thing you guys want us to pursue.

Steve