SF2 demo game engine enhancements?

13 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Those CMFB shadows were at times quite horrendous indeed (like sawfish 😂), although not flickering on my pc iirc. No idea about what causes it. I will make a movie of the CMSF2 demo to let us compare.

@Hister thanks for the info regarding the AA problem! Maybe I'll try my CMBS profile on the CMSF2 demo too, although I'll disable that AA.

Below are the nvidia control profile setting I use. The only thing I change when it comes to global settings for CM games is power management mode where I set it to max performance due to me suspecting CM games not utilising GPU power correctly (just a hunch). 

2m76yvn.jpg

2i7tpnp.jpg

This guide here is very handy when it comes to understanding what each specific Nvidia CP setting does and how you should have it set by default:
http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_5.html

Edited by Hister

I hadn't fired CMFB up for a while, I copied the CMBS profile while setting AA transperency to multisample like @Hister advised. @Bulletpoint @Hister while the shadows aren't as smooth as they can be, they aren't flickering (imo). Is it worse on your part?

Edit: the shadows do change on the edges while moving the camera (not rotating but moving WASD). IIRC on my previous machine they were really flickering when I did that. Not sure what you see.

Edited by Lethaface

3 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

while the shadows aren't as smooth as they can be, they aren't flickering (imo)

They are actually. Look at 00:05 as you move forward, and also at 00:15, the tree shadows on the right upper part of the screen disappear once they get close to the border of the screen. If you go closer to the ground, it becomes more apparent. 

8 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

They are actually. Look at 00:05 as you move forward, and also at 00:15, the tree shadows on the right upper part of the screen disappear once they get close to the border of the screen. If you go closer to the ground, it becomes more apparent. 

The edges change in a ugly fashion while moving WASD (but apart from the edges where they are influenced by the tree's branches they stay solid) and sometimes they do indeed disappear when the camera get close. If that is what you meant, than yes I have it too lol. Granted that this is among the worst scenario's regarding shadows in CM. 

My previous build was a first gen i7 (920 orso?) with a GTX 760 and 6GB ram. With that build the whole shadow 'flickered' when moving the camera around or sometimes even when it was still.

Edited by Lethaface

2 minutes ago, SlowMotion said:

One improvement of CMSF2 vs the old game is: Some Syrian squads can now split. This is a command that would have been very useful in CMSF many many times. So a great addition :)

Besides the special forces, right? I thought it was mentioned before but can't remember.

Mord.

16 hours ago, Lethaface said:

My previous build was a first gen i7 (920 orso?) with a GTX 760 and 6GB ram. With that build the whole shadow 'flickered' when moving the camera around or sometimes even when it was still.

Previous Hackintosh had NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GB -3.9 GHz Intel i7-4770K - Windows 7 Pro. I was able to run all Battlefront Combat Mission games (own most all the CM titles) on DELL P2715Q Display - 3840 x 2160 with all the graphics setting set to best and never had any flickering issues. Unfortunately a ⚡️lightning ⚡️ strike killed the Hackintosh. No time to build another yet. 

The new 2018 MacBookPro - macOSMojave - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9 (6 Cores) - Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB is able to run able to run all Battlefront Combat Mission games... including the CM Shock Force 2 DEMO... on DELL P2715Q Display - 3840 x 2160 with all the graphics setting set to best with no  flickering issues.

The real fun time treat is playing Battlefront Combat Mission games on the LG OLED55B7A -55” :D Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI cable to LG 55" & Yamaha audio system is the best gaming experience I have ever had. Only get to play this way when Ms. Buzz is out of the house because the house shakes when the battle is underway ;) 

Wth the 2018 MacBookPro laptop and the  HUGE OLED 55"  .... no  flickering issues with Battlefront Combat Mission games including the CM Shock Force 2 DEMO👍

👏 Battlefront... Don't know what they are doing inside the engine improvements but whatever it is it is working for me. 

Buzz

26 minutes ago, Buzz said:

The real fun time treat is playing Battlefront Combat Mission games on the LG OLED55B7A -55” :D Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI cable to LG 55" & Yamaha audio system is the best gaming experience I have ever had. Only get to play this way when Ms. Buzz is out of the house because the house shakes when the battle is underway ;) 

Wth the 2018 MacBookPro laptop and the  HUGE OLED 55"  .... no  flickering issues with Battlefront Combat Mission games including the CM Shock Force 2 DEMO👍

👏

Gah! When I ever have enough money saved to buy a new machine, will you be able to give some more details on your setup, sounds amazing!

I always thought that the 'mobile' graphics cards in the MBP led to poor performance. Any chance of a YouTube video of how it looks?

19 hours ago, Lethaface said:

I hadn't fired CMFB up for a while, I copied the CMBS profile while setting AA transperency to multisample like @Hister advised. @Bulletpoint @Hister while the shadows aren't as smooth as they can be, they aren't flickering (imo). Is it worse on your part?

Edit: the shadows do change on the edges while moving the camera (not rotating but moving WASD). IIRC on my previous machine they were really flickering when I did that. Not sure what you see.

@Lethaface in this video and the previous one on CMBS, could you please share your game options and your advanced game options? Ideally two screenshots would be nice. In the advanced game options, I am under the impression that "Tree Detail" is "Low" in both videos but I may be mistaken.

Thanks a lot

2 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

@Lethaface in this video and the previous one on CMBS, could you please share your game options and your advanced game options? Ideally two screenshots would be nice. In the advanced game options, I am under the impression that "Tree Detail" is "Low" in both videos but I may be mistaken.

Thanks a lot

All set to best (apart from high prio process and vertical sync, vsync irrelevant due to gsync). I just captured the vids in nvidia and posted on youtube, without messing with any video quality options. I just double checked the settings in both CMBS and CMFB and I'm pretty sure they have always been like that:

563312484_cmblacksea.exeScreenshot2018_10.20-19_40_11_55.thumb.png.4d0a781e2de5da8b86bd00d59f6c02e7.png326011650_cmblacksea.exeScreenshot2018_10.20-19_40_24_02.thumb.png.3b4249fcc24ebf99c7ec8bf5052cdacb.png

Edited by Lethaface

3 hours ago, SlowMotion said:

During all my CMSF games I thought splitting squads just couldn't be done. I don't know what kind of limitations there are in CMSF2.

Syrian Special Forces or Airborne, or both could be split. I don't remember for sure which it was. I am not on my gaming comp so I can't check at the moment.

Mord.

1 hour ago, Lethaface said:

All set to best (apart from high prio process and vertical sync, vsync irrelevant due to gsync). I just captured the vids in nvidia and posted on youtube, without messing with any video quality options. I just double checked the settings in both CMBS and CMFB and I'm pretty sure they have always been like that

Thanks a lot, will try these options in CMBN. On my computer, the trees are constantly recalculated graphically.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:45 AM, AlexUK said:

Gah! When I ever have enough money saved to buy a new machine, will you be able to give some more details on your setup, sounds amazing!

I always thought that the 'mobile' graphics cards in the MBP led to poor performance. Any chance of a YouTube video of how it looks?

No YouTube video but it does look #1 great on the 15-inch MacBook Pro - Retina Display with True Tone with P3 color gamut 
AMD Radeon Pro 560X GPU (4GB GGDR5).

Battlefront Combat Mission games look great on the Battlefront Combat Mission games. Retina Display: Default is 1680 X 1050 - “More Space” is 1920X1200. No problems. Games look great:)

The AMD Radeon Pro 560X GPU (4GB GGDR5) feeds the external 27” - DELL P2715Q Display - 3840 x 2160 without any problems. Both displays can be open but I often close the laptop. 

I was kind of not expecting Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI cable to LG 55"LG OLED55B7A -55” to reach 3840 x 2160 … but it does … without any problems! No stuttering, flickering, etc.. I can even leave the Retina display open for other programs running. Audio along the HDMI cable to the Yamaha audio system … makes the games (and sound mods of full Battlefront Combat Mission games) so much nicer. (Thanks to all the Mod Lords for Battlefront)👍

I also thought the MBP graphics was going to be wimpy but I was wrong for Battlefront Combat Mission games. 

Buzz