Demo crash

Demo crashed on me twice while playing the training mission.   Installed on updated Windows 10, with demo installation in a non-standard directory.  However, it was installed in the same way as other CM games and they do not crash.

Game locked up while watching the action, and then completely closed after a few minutes.

Odd!  It is possible that there's something strange about the Demo that could cause crashing.  In order to keep the demo small Charles manually rips out all resources that aren't needed by the included scenarios.  This is a delicate process and sometimes he pulls something that he shouldn't have.  In fact, we know for sure that happened and earlier today I swapped out the Demos with new ones.  If you can, try downloading again and seeing if the new version clears things up for you.

Steve

7 hours ago, Chops said:

Demo crashed on me twice while playing the training mission.   Installed on updated Windows 10, with demo installation in a non-standard directory.  However, it was installed in the same way as other CM games and they do not crash.

Game locked up while watching the action, and then completely closed after a few minutes.

Same here, except I'm on Windows 7.  I downloaded the demo at noon today (central time).  Has it been fixed since then?

CM games are very stable in my experience but I do occasionally get kicked out of Black Sea from time to time. 

Im playing then next thing I know I’m back in the Windows desktop. Happens very infrequently.

i just make sure to save my game at intervals 

So far the demo has been stable.

Edited by db_zero

4 hours ago, Sgt_Grunt said:

Demo crashed on me also, this was from a save of Alamo. Crashed after action phase when clicked on the red button. I am running a Mac.

Edit I had changed the setting to best in the options, setting them back to balanced stopped the crash.

That's when mine has been crashing too, after the action phase.  Worse on the tutorial mission.  I don't think I've ever had a crash in a CM game before.

4 hours ago, AlexUK said:

Crashed on Alamo, running on a Mac. It would have been the original demo (not sure Mac version has been updated?)

Can you give any more details? What was going on?  I've run through the Training Scenario a few times and tried every combination of save game, resume, quit, resume saved game, and it has never crashed. In fact, the beta or demo hasn't crashed on me for many versions.  For reference I have a MacBook Pro, early 2015, OS X 10.14 Mojave. No issues with upgrading to Mojave.

10 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Can you give any more details? What was going on?  I've run through the Training Scenario a few times and tried every combination of save game, resume, quit, resume saved game, and it has never crashed. In fact, the beta or demo hasn't crashed on me for many versions.  For reference I have a MacBook Pro, early 2015, OS X 10.14 Mojave. No issues with upgrading to Mojave.

I can't remember when it was. I played Alamo again, and it crashed again after about 10 turns, on playback. 

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009)

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

3 hours ago, AlexUK said:

I can't remember when it was. I played Alamo again, and it crashed again after about 10 turns, on playback. 

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009)

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Same here. On turn 10 playback. Win7 + Radeon HD7800 video.

While CMBN (Bundle) and CMBS have never crashed.

Applying the updated demo build hasn't corrected. I'll try replaying from scratch using the refreshed demo.