Jump to content
Mord

Shock Force 2 Unofficial Screenshot And Video Thread

Recommended Posts

For those who really enjoyed Generation Kill.  Been messing around at getting a Marine unit into Hmmwvs.  Dismounting drivers and crews and replacing them.  There are some idiosyncrasies.  Skip the M2.  You can't keep the gun, the team dismounts with it.  M240 and mk 19 are fine and the m240 will accept a 5 man team. The vehicle icons will also show some discrepancies.  The MG team when mounted shows an MG,  Most everyone else is showing a vehicle. 

The result - Lt Bailey Assassin 1 -6 Actual and Assassin 1 on a back road approaching an Iraqi town.    Now if teams would only fire from within the vehicle...….

 

Assassin 1 001.jpg

Assassin 1 002.jpg

Assassin 1 003.jpg

Assassin 1 004.jpg

Edited by sburke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Cool Steve, thanks for the tip!  I just re-watched it New Year's Eve/next day.  When I get my USMC mod done, they can even be dressed all proper-like.

looking forward to that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

while looking for ToE info ran across this.  Some great potential scenario titles there :D  

The BN deployed two companies to the Upper Saingin River Valley, again during the intense fighting in the area the Taliban gave 1st Recon the nickname "Black Diamonds" for the diamond shaped Norotos night vision goggles mounts on their helmets, additionally sensitive reporting on Taliban radio ICOM traffic recorded a Taliban member referring to the Marines of The Force Recon platoon, and Bravo Company operating in the area as "the Sons of Satan" for their fierce fighting ability. The statement was close to " We will not fight them, they are not normal Marines, they run at us when we shoot at them..if we fight them we die..they are worse than the sons of satan."

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/1st_Reconnaissance_Battalion

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds a bit like rumors, maybe even propaganda, but sure. You know how Marines are with their moto bullsh*t, but it's definitely useful for being able to fight harder by convincing yourself that you are a born warrior, having come into this world for the sole purpose of brutalizing your enemies.

Edited by Frenchy56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sburke said:

while looking for ToE info ran across this.  Some great potential scenario titles there :D  

The BN deployed two companies to the Upper Saingin River Valley, again during the intense fighting in the area the Taliban gave 1st Recon the nickname "Black Diamonds" for the diamond shaped Norotos night vision goggles mounts on their helmets, additionally sensitive reporting on Taliban radio ICOM traffic recorded a Taliban member referring to the Marines of The Force Recon platoon, and Bravo Company operating in the area as "the Sons of Satan" for their fierce fighting ability. The statement was close to " We will not fight them, they are not normal Marines, they run at us when we shoot at them..if we fight them we die..they are worse than the sons of satan."

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/1st_Reconnaissance_Battalion

 

Well, I don't know how "normal Marines" train to fight an ambush now, in my day, even the non-infantry (MOS other than 03xx) trained at least annually to fight ambushes. The best way to reduce an ambush is to get out of the kill zone by assaulting the main ambush force.

1 hour ago, Frenchy56 said:

That sounds a bit like rumors, maybe even propaganda, but sure. You know how Marines are with their moto bullsh*t, but it's definitely useful for being able to fight harder by convincing yourself that you are a born warrior, having come into this world for the sole purpose of brutalizing your enemies.

Wow, pretty harsh statement, especially when you consider the history of Marine fights. When Marines landed to reinforce the Pusan Perimeter (that was during the Korean War by the way) the Marines were still wearing the WWII canvas leggings. When the Army intercepted a North Korean message to the front that commanded their troops to "avoid attacking the "yellow leggings" because they'll stand and fight, and not retreat. Attack the U.S. Army and ROK instead," the Army Command ordered the Marines to remove their leggings and not wear them again. When the Japanese attacked Wake Island, it was the Marines that repulsed the first landing attempt (the ONLY amphibious landing in WWII that was repulsed) and forced the Japanese fleet to retreat until it received reinforcements. It was the Marines that "retreated to rear" for 70 miles from the Chosin Reservoir to Hunang, bring with them ALL of their dead and wounded, and let's not forget Khe San in Vietnam. So yeah, it's probably "Moto bullsh*t." Fact of the matter is Marines are trained very differently than U.S. Army because Marines really are "elite" assault troops that are usually used as Shock Troops. 

Edited by Vet 0369

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to cause a measuring contest between the various services and their histories, but I feel obliged to point out that the Marines were able to survive the Chinese assault at the Chosin because an Army unit, Task Force Faith (Regimental Combat Team 31) was able to delay the majority of the Chinese attack on the right flank of the reservoir. Task Force Faith was completely annihilated, but they held together long enough to allow the Marines to consolidate their position on the reservoir, and delayed a large portion of the Chinese forces long enough to prevent the Marines from being overrun. Lt Col Don Faith, the commander of the RCT which bore his name, was killed during the fighting. He died trying to personally open the road to allow his RCT to escape destruction, and earned the Medal of Honor (posthumously) for his efforts. 

Not many people know this story unfortunately, but I would urge any who are interested to read the book East of Chosin: Entrapment and Breakout in Korea by Roy Appleman. The book is a stark, objective retelling of the fate of Task Force Faith, and is a very sobering read. For the quick once-over for our Wiki-warriors out there, here are the wiki links to Task Force Faith and its CO, Lt Col Faith:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task_Force_Faith

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_C._Faith_Jr.

All the services have had their high points and low points. The Army had some of its lowest lows and highest highs in the Korean War, which is one of the reasons why the conflict is confusing to some and avoided by others. Again, not trying to start a pissing contest, I just wanted to point this bit of history out. The Marines certainly have a lot of history to brag about, but so do all the branches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

Wow, pretty harsh statement,

I suppose it's a sign of the times that "mild skepticism" has become equal to a "harsh statement".

For what it's worth, I too thought the exact same thing as Frenchy when I read the quote... but didn't particularly care either way.

The Marines Corps has a bit of a history with this kinda thing & the quote doesn't seem to have any real source.

Either way, whether any Taliban actually said it or not, it is kinda irrelevant because it seems to me to be a fairly true statement, objectively speaking.

However, as neither "the West" is willing to permanently occupy the entire country with vast swarms of Special Forces nor the Taliban willing to surrender when faced with the likes of such dangerous enemies, it's also pretty meaningless.

 

Edited by 37mm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

I don't want to cause a measuring contest between the various services and their histories, but I feel obliged to point out that the Marines were able to survive the Chinese assault at the Chosin because an Army unit, Task Force Faith (Regimental Combat Team 31) was able to delay the majority of the Chinese attack on the right flank of the reservoir. Task Force Faith was completely annihilated, but they held together long enough to allow the Marines to consolidate their position on the reservoir, and delayed a large portion of the Chinese forces long enough to prevent the Marines from being overrun. Lt Col Don Faith, the commander of the RCT which bore his name, was killed during the fighting. He died trying to personally open the road to allow his RCT to escape destruction, and earned the Medal of Honor (posthumously) for his efforts. 

Not many people know this story unfortunately, but I would urge any who are interested to read the book East of Chosin: Entrapment and Breakout in Korea by Roy Appleman. The book is a stark, objective retelling of the fate of Task Force Faith, and is a very sobering read. For the quick once-over for our Wiki-warriors out there, here are the wiki links to Task Force Faith and its CO, Lt Col Faith:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task_Force_Faith

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_C._Faith_Jr.

All the services have had their high points and low points. The Army had some of its lowest lows and highest highs in the Korean War, which is one of the reasons why the conflict is confusing to some and avoided by others. Again, not trying to start a pissing contest, I just wanted to point this bit of history out. The Marines certainly have a lot of history to brag about, but so do all the branches. 

I completely agree. My Uncle (my Mother's younger brother) was at the Chosen (Army) and was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat V for that action. His older brother was Navy, and was torpedoed. He survived. Their oldest brother was an Army weather forecaster in Europe before, during, and after D-Day. My Father and I, Marines.

My statements were specifically directly focused at the absolutely ignorant comments by Frenchy56. Inter service rivalry is fun, and we all engage in it to an extent, but we usually make sure that we say it in a way that projects that it is in fun.

Edited by Vet 0369

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a camp in Korea called "Camp Carrol", Korea, was named after my uncle (mother side) Sergeant First Class Charles F. Carroll, a posthumous recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross for his acts of heroism during the Korean War. Just thought I would mention it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

I don't want to cause a measuring contest between the various services and their histories, but I feel obliged to point out that the Marines were able to survive the Chinese assault at the Chosin because an Army unit, Task Force Faith (Regimental Combat Team 31) was able to delay the majority of the Chinese attack on the right flank of the reservoir. Task Force Faith was completely annihilated, but they held together long enough to allow the Marines to consolidate their position on the reservoir, and delayed a large portion of the Chinese forces long enough to prevent the Marines from being overrun. Lt Col Don Faith, the commander of the RCT which bore his name, was killed during the fighting. He died trying to personally open the road to allow his RCT to escape destruction, and earned the Medal of Honor (posthumously) for his efforts. 

Not many people know this story unfortunately, but I would urge any who are interested to read the book East of Chosin: Entrapment and Breakout in Korea by Roy Appleman. The book is a stark, objective retelling of the fate of Task Force Faith, and is a very sobering read. For the quick once-over for our Wiki-warriors out there, here are the wiki links to Task Force Faith and its CO, Lt Col Faith:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task_Force_Faith

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_C._Faith_Jr.

All the services have had their high points and low points. The Army had some of its lowest lows and highest highs in the Korean War, which is one of the reasons why the conflict is confusing to some and avoided by others. Again, not trying to start a pissing contest, I just wanted to point this bit of history out. The Marines certainly have a lot of history to brag about, but so do all the branches. 

There is also a pretty good and detailed documentary on Netflix called "The Battle of Chosin". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JohnO said:

There is a camp in Korea called "Camp Carrol", Korea, was named after my uncle (mother side) Sergeant First Class Charles F. Carroll, a posthumous recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross for his acts of heroism during the Korean War. Just thought I would mention it.

Very cool.  Probably the best I could come up with is maybe a bar stool at the local pub or sumfink.  :(  Yep that is where that old Burke dude sat day in and day out eating all our peanuts while nursing a single goddamn beer all night... unless someone else was buying of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marines, Army. y'all suck at posting screenies  Here ya go.

Bull Co on a night time raid in Sadr City

 

 

Bull 001.jpg

Target Neutralized

 

 

Bull 002.jpg

 

The Mahdi Army stirs.  RPG attacks hitting the Slat armor on the Strykers

 

Bull 003.jpg

Bull 004.jpg

 

Light em up!!

 

Bull 005.jpg

Edited by sburke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 12:02 AM, Combatintman said:

@37mm I was urging posting to CMMODs/TFGM not the Repository and yes there was a plan to move stuff less the content that is incompatible with the new engines of the various titles. Whether that will happen or not I cannot say because I am not party to the process. I know Bootie moved a lot of stuff across in the run up to the Repository closing down and Battlefront's recommendation was that CMMODs/TFGM was to be the go to place for user made content.

While I did enjoy the dropbox/ google drive links, since my own install is sitting on a HD in a computer that hasn't been turned on for over a year, it seems obvious that the durability of such links are limited.
If everyone that tries and uses a mod or has played a scenario/campaign successfully in CMSF2, checks whether it's on CMMODS/TFGM and uploads it if it isn't, it could already make a big difference. That's a little less daunting then uploading a whole collection of mods and scenario's, one at a time.
Another thing: I guess we should upload such files under CMSF mods/scenario's, instead of CMSF2 mods/scenario's?

I'm willing to 'request to become an author' and upload some scenario's / campaigns I have played from an author that doesn't seem to be around anymore. 

Edit: although it would be good to know whether any moves from the repository are still going to happen, since that might duplicate efforts.

Edit 2: A sticky post with a template of how to go forth with something like this (with screens/description of an example upload) will perhaps make it probably stick better than 'just a comment' in the screenshot thread. 

Edited by Lethaface

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

I completely agree. My Uncle (my Mother's younger brother) was at the Chosen (Army) and was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat V for that action. His older brother was Navy, and was torpedoed. He survived. Their oldest brother was an Army weather forecaster in Europe before, during, and after D-Day. My Father and I, Marines.

My statements were specifically directly focused at the absolutely ignorant comments by Frenchy56. Inter service rivalry is fun, and we all engage in it to an extent, but we usually make sure that we say it in a way that projects that it is in fun.

With all due respect, I think you're interpreting more in Frenchy's comments than intended. The thing about 'running towards us when we shoot them and sons of satan' does sound 'actionhero' like. While USMC combat troops and especially their elite force recon, are probably among the best trained soldiers on the world, they aren't superhuman. Not that I think that you think they are, but the text does sort of implicate something like it. Devildogs, sons of satan, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lethaface said:

With all due respect, I think you're interpreting more in Frenchy's comments than intended. The thing about 'running towards us when we shoot them and sons of satan' does sound 'actionhero' like. While USMC combat troops and especially their elite force recon, are probably among the best trained soldiers on the world, they aren't superhuman. Not that I think that you think they are, but the text does sort of implicate something like it. Devildogs, sons of satan, etc.

Yes, I admit that I might have overreacted to the post. However, I honestly saw nothing out of line with the supposed Taliban statement. As I said previously, that is exactly how ALL Marines are trained to break out of an ambush kill zone! You assault the ambush directly, which usually involves running directly at the enemy. While it seems counter-intuitive, you will lose fewer than if you try another maneuver because those other maneuvers keep you in the kill zone longer. The only time you try a different method is is it isn't possible to directly assault the main ambush party, at least that's how we were trained 50 years ago. However, responses might have changed that I don't know about.

My back was already up because I had read that upon McArthur's return to the Phillipines, he recommended all the units that had defended Batan and Corrigador for Presidential Unit Citations except one. That one was the 4th Marines on Corrigador. His reason; he said the Marines had too many medals already!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I might be giving that Tank Raid a go.

Here's "De Hinderlaag" (I had a request)...

... nice scenario, but I really think BFC should have called it "The Dutch in a pickle".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 7:01 AM, Erwin said:

The solution we've come up with so far is to buy a large BU drive, load with everything I got and physically mail it to someone for eventual upload to someplace like CMMODS.  

1995 called - they want their disk drive back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Ok...  How does one easily transfer close to half a TB of data?  You could try to be helpful...  

Well, there are these online repositories that have been created, you see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...