rare poster here-- What got me to move into these newer versions  of CM over these last years was the original Shock force.  At the time I thought it was the best of the bunch. 

I really appreciate Battlefront in giving these what if...CMBS and SF2 , and hope their might be more.  I also hope for the next game engine soon as possible.  Currently CM does many things in a wonderful way.  I can not imagine what the next level will look like and do.  but I look forward to it.. thanks guys

+1  It was very impressive that BF kept on improving CMSF until it became so brilliant.  Most, perhaps all other developers would have cut their losses, abandoned CMSF and moved on.

Yes re:Challenger, apparently Feynman's report focused on the fact that the o-rings had not been tested at the low temperature in which the launch took place.

Edited by Snake726

LET ME AT IT! cant wait ;)

first thing i do is fire up the editor and work on a old map i made about 9 years ago, all this will be a blast!

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:27 AM, Pandur said:

LET ME AT IT! cant wait ;)

first thing i do is fire up the editor and work on a old map i made about 9 years ago, all this will be a blast!

Boy do I get That!   One thing you'll want to hold off on is making AI plans and creating/setting up units.  Might want to re-work the map with the thought that New tiles and unit groups are coming.  Too much reliance on what was may get in the way of what is coming... which is Very Cool

31 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

What could be a better release schedule than to target Thanksgiving Break when most of us are off on holiday?

As a developer myself I can think of just about anything being better then releasing on Thanksgiving Break.  

6 hours ago, Dynaman216 said:

As a developer myself I can think of just about anything being better then releasing on Thanksgiving Break.  

What's so bad about releasing things on holidays? I saw the CM team was saying they really don't wanna release SF2 on this Christmas either

The problem is support. You release something, and suddenly there will always be a ton of bugs you didn't catch in development. If you release over a weekend or during a holiday, and your team won't be available to react to them - you'll have a lot of people slammed in the face with major issues, and no communication or fixes for them for the first few days of release.

I don't know how Battlefront is handling this but the so called "crunch time" period before release can be insane, literally. I know a few guys who burned out on that. And when the game is released you need devs to fix bugs instantly just like domfluff said. Having a game released prior holidays means a lot of stress for the devs and their families.

After witnessing that I don't have problems waiting a bit longer or pay a bit more for a game I really want. There are other games to play in the meantime. Imagine those devs who have to have their games released prior to the lucrative Christmas time.

Like Dom and Rex said.  Or to put it another way.  Any bug found before a product goes live can be handled in normal business hours, any bug (crash bugs in particular) have to be handled immediately.  The normal registration issues and CC/Paypal payment issues are not something I would have to be working through on Thanksgiving day either.

On 11/12/2018 at 4:09 AM, Jayzthegamer said:

What's so bad about releasing things on holidays? I saw the CM team was saying they really don't wanna release SF2 on this Christmas either

Hehe. Because they want to spend the holiday with their friends and family eating pie and watching football instead of 1) crunching to final release code and 2) handling all the support requests that accompany a release! =D

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, Tuomio said:

I had something stuck in my eye and it clearly said "Shock Force 2 Orders Available" for small while! 

no one with a sense of humor should have zero reputation points!! Fixed!!!

Crunch time sucks under any and all circumstances.  Crunch time right before major Holidays sucks 10x worse.  Even though we don't have corporate masters forcing us to work 100 hour weeks without extra pay, it's still not ideal ;) 

We've been in the annoying phase of "drip drip" issues that nix a possible release candidate.  In a normal corporate setting nobody goes home until all of those things are fixed.  For us, we have to accept the fact that we don't have an office and slave labor at our beck and call (sorry, "valued salaried employees" I think is the proper term for games industry workers!).  If we did try to pull crap like 24 hour work days (something I do NOT miss AT ALL) we'd never get a game done because everybody would tell us to go screw ourselves.  Er, including me!

The good news is we've been in this final detail mode for a few weeks now.  It usually doesn't last longer than that, even for us.  Take that as a sign that a release is nearing.

Steve

Steve, could you consider brightening up my Christmas with a decent bone about the CMRT module, including screenshots and such? I made my peace with the fact that it's not going to happen soon, but for us Ostfronters it would be a nice gesture.

7 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

For us, we have to accept the fact that we don't have an office and slave labor at our beck and call (sorry, "valued salaried employees" I think is the proper term for games industry workers!).

Sounds like you need to recruit some slave labor asap.