CMSF2 Release Update

We're close to release, but not quite there yet!  The Demos are now out for all to enjoy while we finish things up. Let me explain...

When we set out to remake CMSF1 into CMSF2 we made a decision to release the Base Game and the three Modules all at once.  This allows people to purchase Bundles right away instead of facing the decision to buy sooner, one full priced piece at a time, or wait until we have everything out for a bulk discount.  Since it would suck for you guys to face this choice we opted to release everything at once.

The downside of releasing everything at once is having to rework the content of effectively 4 games at one time.  That's a total of something like 150 battles (stand alone + campaigns) that needed reworking.  As you can imagine it's not just adding the updated style of Briefings, it's about making sure the scenarios are properly balanced with all the game changes from the past 10 years.  Adding FoW fortifications, AI Plan overhauls, touching up maps, etc. and then going through the testing cycle make sure everything works right takes a long time to do.  More than we expected, that's for sure.

OK, OK, OK... I know you're wondering what this all means in terms of a release timeframe.  What we've decided to do is stop making you wait until every single scenario and the 6 campaigns are totally done.  Instead, we're moving towards releasing all the stand alone scenarios, the Base Game campaign (TF Lighting), and the campaign for Marines (Semper Fi!) in one go.  That's a couple hundred hours of entertainment right there, not to mention what QuickBattles adds to the mix.  That should keep you busy while we finish reworking the British and three NATO campaigns :)

I don't think we can get it out the door by the end of October, but we don't want it to be much longer than that.  We released Upgrade 4 at Christmas time last year and we'd rather not do that again for understandable reasons.

I'll give you guys another update at the end of the month.

Thanks for your patience!  This has been a labor of love for sure, with almost equal emphasis on both the labor and the love!

Steve

26 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

OK, OK, OK... I know you're wondering what this all means in terms of a release timeframe.  What we've decided to do is stop making you wait until every single scenario and the 6 campaigns are totally done.  Instead, we're moving towards releasing all the stand alone scenarios, the Base Game campaign (TF Lighting), and the campaign for Marines (Semper Fi!) in one go.  That's a couple hundred hours of entertainment right there, not to mention what QuickBattles adds to the mix.  That should keep you busy while we finish reworking the British and three NATO campaigns :)

So I'm guessing that community idea of merging all the campaigns into a single giant one so players can play all the engagements in chronological order is not on the cards then? :P

Good luck with the release.

4 hours ago, SgtHatred said:

Thanks. Will the Quickbattle content for the earlier release include all CMSF2 units, or just the Base game + Marines?

Quick battles have everything available. And while they don’t work in the demo you can see the standard interface

7 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

So I'm guessing that community idea of merging all the campaigns into a single giant one so players can play all the engagements in chronological order is not on the cards then? :P

Very perceptive of you :D

51 minutes ago, AtheistDane said:

So will we still be able to buy the base game and all modules at release, and have access to British and NATO units?

Yes.  As mentioned above, all of the forces (units) in the Modules are all set.  What's not set is some of the Campaigns.  In practical terms what this means is if you purchase British and/or NATO Modules you'll get full access to all the forces and stand alone battles, but the Campaigns will be the same as CMSF1. We're including them more-or-less as placeholders.  Personally, I'd recommend not playing them even though you definitely can if you want to.

Steve

Hmmm... do you think it is a good idea to do that? It is one thing if you communicate this here and I totally see your reasoning, but if you include these campaigns in an unfinished state, you are technically releasing a faulty or buggy product. Not every customer browses the forums and will be able or willing to get this information. I'd be careful with that from a marketing perspective.