16 hours ago, Andy_101 said:

What am I doing wrong?

As was said above, urban warfare requires a methodical approach. One technique is to divide the battlefield into manageable phase lines whereby you only reach the final objective with a few turns left in the scenario. This sort of forces you to go slow. This does not apply to all scenarios, but something to consider when doing your initial planning. 

Isolate small portions of the battlefield. Establish overwatch, suppression, and then move in.

To isolate, tanks do very well to dominate long streets. Of course, the enemy likes stationary tanks. ;) 

Isolate a block, move up. Watch it. If you can, get some units to flank it. If you cannot control the back of the block/building, at least cover most of the exits. 

Then, use firepower to suppress and move forward. It only takes 15-30 seconds of suppression. The goal is to get the defenders to duck down. Then, your guys move up and look in the windows. Like fish in a barrel. Next, SLOW or HUNT into the building with a tight covered arc so your men can see what's out the back.

That, at least, is one technique.

Thanks everyone for the comments.  It's from the scenario Passage at Wilcox.  I'm trying to take hold of the centre compound.  I felt if I could take this compound I could direct operations from there, use it as a jump base into the other compounds.  But my chaps keep getting slaughtered.  I've tried all sorts of routes, including using engineers to blow holes through walls but to avail.  

From what I gather from the kind comments I've had it seems that sitting back and levelling it from afar is probably more effective (but also perhaps less exciting?).  Anyway, I think I will withdraw my troops and try something different.  Thanks!  A.  :)

Screenshot 2018-11-07 at 21.38.36.png

You do know that you can Area Target those tall walls?  Once the Brads or Abrams knock them down, the main building can then be hit.

Sitting back and levelling the town is why there are Preserve objectives in this scenario - it's certainly an option in this scenario (albeit a boring one), and I suspect the balance might be a little off for that reason.

Sometimes you don't have the option, as much as you might want it. Urban combat is nasty.

3 hours ago, Andy_101 said:

Thanks everyone for the comments.  It's from the scenario Passage at Wilcox.  I'm trying to take hold of the centre compound.  I felt if I could take this compound I could direct operations from there, use it as a jump base into the other compounds.  But my chaps keep getting slaughtered.  I've tried all sorts of routes, including using engineers to blow holes through walls but to avail.  

From what I gather from the kind comments I've had it seems that sitting back and levelling it from afar is probably more effective (but also perhaps less exciting?).  Anyway, I think I will withdraw my troops and try something different.  Thanks!  A.  :)

I think that compound you are trying to take is probably a bait by the map designer to lure your troops into a trap. It is well fortified and occupied by several squads. I had to level half of the buildings to be able to take what's left of it. Otherwise you would have to encircle it to suppress all enemies in the compound without destroying the buildings but that exposes your troops to the other enemies on the map.

As an experiment try using the vehicles to blow smoke.  In the game, smoke acts as if there are no walls to prevent it from obscuring everything in range including the other side of buildings.  Not certain, but might enable your guys to maneuver.