Enough Whining. List things you LOVE about CM

Everytime when I bought a computer the last 18 years, the first and most important thing is that Combat Mission is running smoothly on it. I love to plan, see the replays and the unbelivable variation in these games. Best thing since I played wit 1/72 Airfix figures in my youth.

• 2 weeks later...

First off just think of the enormous amount of diversity in terrain, equipment and operations that relates to this subject. Even when covering just this one geographical area. Then develop a game that covers the endless variety of situations and possibilities that occur in combat (Well S.L.A. Marshall and a huge staff took a huge amount of time to write a huge book covering this subject). Develop a A.I. that is smart enough to handle this environment and make good decisions. Not just for the enemy force. Lets make it control all the individual units so they react in a realistic manner. Make a game control that covers the vast majority of actions a unit would use. And make it easy enough and intuitive so the user doesn't get frustrated. Oh yes, also you have to find a balance in all this so it appeals to the casual and hardcore wargamer. 

The absolute in depth beauty of the graphics and textures for the equipment and and uniforms that came with the game. I still stick with the original uniforms that come with the game. Sure I do use a couple of mods like one that allows variations of the German Smocks and camouflage on the U.K. helmets. For the enormity of the subject they did a great job on covering it.

The vehicles are a pure delight. Watching them roll across the terrain is like getting a glimpse into history. Excellent work on getting the basic color schemes for each nation. I did have one vehicle, a SPW250-3 that had no camo on it whatsoever. Just used Gimp. Cut and past the corresponding hull parts from another SPW250 and done.  

The variety of terrain types and buildings must have been a huge list they had to narrow down to a general set that related to most situations. And they did a wonderful job on choosing the major types. I did go full on mod to change the landscape terrain to something that looks good to my bi-focal, color blind eyesight. I put together a mix of mods from several different creators. The pavement textures are standard except for the one with the "big rectangular blocks". To me the scale of the blocks was so big that a crane would be needed to place each one. So I scaled them down from 1024 to 256. Put together a 1024 tile with the 256 tiles and there ya go. Man manageable size stones.

The editor is one of the highlights of this game. It is easy to use, does what you want it to do within certain limits and possibilities. The fact you can build a simple map to designing a full blown battle with directions for the A.I. is a testament to its flexibility and solid design.

And let's not forget the audio. Realistic voices in the language of the nation it covers. Sounds of weapons and vehicles.  The whole spectrum of special effects. Plus a great musical score. A fantastic job on getting the realism right and a important part of the immersion into the environment.

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned in another thread that I love the authenticity of the TOE. The triangular setup with US WWII units is great. I got a kick out of seeing the cannon companies under the infantry tab on unit purchase, as it is a not so readily apparent historical detail. 

Ive been a military history nerd for a long time and it’s good to see this game. Really new to it but love it. 

I play RTS and also love the pause button *swoon* 

Finally, I was pleasantly surprised by the authenticity of uniforms and equipment for WWII as well. The officers have musette bags and the GIs have haversacks, correctly set up at that. 

Edited by Swervin11b