Enough Whining. List things you LOVE about CM

Damn tootin'!

Personally, and I know there will be dissenters, but I PERSONALLY absolutely love the AI reactions to incoming fire (esp no that its been adjusted [I think?] )

I'm playtesting a complex scenario, with many different firefights and situations. I've just watched a squad of men run towards a building, across a previously shelled yard. The enemy inside opened up, yet missed. My guys did exactly what they should - run back to their cover. They then turned and fired back.

It was just so cool to see.

NO WHINING, SARCASM or IRONIC comments about Oh I LOOOVE  how my APCs don't spot 10m in broad daylight, etc.

Just positivity, please :)

I love seeing bravery.

I recall early in CMBN playing a game where a flanking force got the jump on me and even through I was rushing reserves to the bocage line on my left flank it was going to be tight. We all know what happens to troops that are running across and open field towards an enemy sitting and waiting in said bocage. My one team on sentry duty was already down to half strength and as the fire came in and the enemy approached one of the two remaining guys gave up an started surrendering. The lone soldier left held it together and got off a few more shots hitting one of the enemy squad. The wavered and then turned and ran. The next turn my reserve arrived and secured the area.

I love it when you evaluate the map and you sneak a potent AT asset (Javelin, 6-pounder) into a nice ambush position. Baddie AFVs roll into the killzone like dummies -- PENETRATION THIS, PENETRATION THAT! Wrecked tin cans smolder and explode. Some lucky crewmen/passengers survive -- they either cower or run away. Those that stay maybe be disintegrated by a nearby explosion, others run only to be cut down by small arms fire.

LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!

Bonus: Huns holed up in a fortified building take pot shots at a turned-out ISU commander. He scowls, turns in and blows the house of cards away with a 152mm.

I just love that Battlefront has been around for 18 years (since release of CMBO, I know they were around before developing it)  and continues to produce the Combat Mission line when they could have done other things, probably for more money. I have never been in combat but nothing else comes close to providing the, to me, realistic immersion that Combat Mission has.   Perhaps the dogfight sims would but I don't play those. I prefer time to think, which may be unrealistic I suppose. The shooters certainly do not provide the realism to me.

48 minutes ago, IanL said:

I love seeing bravery.

I recall early in CMBN playing a game where a flanking force got the jump on me and even through I was rushing reserves to the bocage line on my left flank it was going to be tight. We all know what happens to troops that are running across and open field towards an enemy sitting and waiting in said bocage. My one team on sentry duty was already down to half strength and as the fire came in and the enemy approached one of the two remaining guys gave up an started surrendering. The lone soldier left held it together and got off a few more shots hitting one of the enemy squad. The wavered and then turned and ran. The next turn my reserve arrived and secured the area.

I had almost that exact incident in the Hamel Vallee AAR and the brave soul’s name was Hardenberger. 😎

The next and final turn the guy who was surrendering was shot. 😂 

I love everything about CM, except [insert grinning troll face here]:

-Lack of variety in sound effects/missing sound effects (e.g. there are perhaps three background sound tracks available throughout the whole CM series; no sound when vehicles are stuck moving their wheels)

-Poor voice acting and lack of variety in phrases (e.g. "burn you mother")

-Frequent lackluster scenario design 

-Graphical effects and graphical modeling could be improved/be more detailed (e.g. flame, flame casualties, more variety in soldiers' appearances)

-Campaign format lacks continuity (does not feel like missions are connected in most cases, just a series of scenarios strung together with a little dialogue)

The scale of the games, breadth of options available for constructing and playing through a wide variety of scenarios, and the nebulous relationship between the two of them. The decisions involved in play are often both meaningful and meaningless, a difficult paradox to replicate artificially but one true enough to the realities of tactics and war. Captured in a way most video games cannot construct convincingly because of their sterility and excessive fixation on the superficial. 

Edited by SimpleSimon

I love the fact that after playing these games on a daily basis for years and years and I still get those "did I just see that?" and "did that just happen?" moments when units interact in surpising ways. That's a lot of credit to the engine and the realism it generates - that things never get stale and commonplace.

18 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

whining means people care

That might even be true :D

As humans we constantly are picking at what is wrong with <insert anything here> and frankly it can get a little tiresome. It is nice to be reminded to sit back and see the roses all around you so I for one am happy to see this thread start up. Thanks @kinophile. Let's keep it on track. If you want to complain about (sorry I mean suggest) something feel free to start a new thread for that there is plenty of room for all that - I'm talking to you @Pericles ...

The user community. I have more content than I could possibly play so there’s always another scenario or campaign awaiting.  (Even though I mostly play QBs)  

And many of these volunteer efforts are magnificent. 

Hat tip to anyone who takes the time to make content. It’s the best part of these games.  The people.  Even the whiners. 😎

WeGo, PBEM head to head, the contrast between control and no control and the ebb and flow of a game.

Playing CM against a human opponent is like a slow game of chess where you're trying to out think each other. Once everything's settled at home for the evening, I love opening up CM Helper to see my opponent has sent me a turn. Then the nail biting tension as I watch the replay file to see if my attack has worked, or if I've been a dumbass and got my elite pixeltruppen wiped out to a man.

CM is a brilliant, amazing, fantastic game. Is it the best game I've ever played? .....Probably!