New Scenario - Assault on Port Cros

On 12/24/2018 at 4:57 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

+1  Very, very cool and useful.  IIRC some people tried to make flat roof buildings in CMFI (for a North Africa look)  and were not able to make it work.  I wonder if your method would also work in CMFI.  After the holidays, when you have time, I hope you upload your texture and flat roof mod to CMMODS III.  Well done. 

I´d guess the CMSF2 objects are now more or less compatible with the other games of the CM2 series, while CMSF wasn´t as much. I do not have CMFI, but I think the renaming of files methods should work there as well, when it comes to adding flat roofs. I´ll get back to that early in january I think. For those who have CMSF2 Demo (or full game) I´d unpacked the demo.brz and took 8x8-roof-1.mdr & 8x8-roofdamaged-1.mdr (from buildings/models/roofs), added my personal mod tags and put them into the data/z folder. Associated textures are roof1-facade1.bmp & roof1-facade1_normal map.bmp (buildings/1), renamed to CMBN format roof1.bmp and derived version to use as roof1-damage.bmp. This was a rather quick trial and error affair and I didn´t change anything within the *.mdr files. This method replaces the default roof1 for CMBN 8x8m modular buildings, leaving the other variants when MG module is installed. Facade texture in use for my mod is a modded facade5-exterior with single/bottom/middle/top all the same. Already used these for my "You enter Germany" optional mission mod pack. As said this is just a quick and rough mod. I think it could be possible to also add a flat roof just as a further option to the default roofs, without replacing one. I´d wish BFC adds flat roofs as a standard feature to all the games as it really doesn´t appear a big deal.

16 minutes ago, IanL said:

Is he holding his .45 with support form two hands? I don't think I have ever seen that in the game before.

No, he was moving around scratching his butt and stuff like they normally do :lol:.  Just kind of looks that way because of when I took the screenshot.  

/////////////// SPOILER ALERT ////////////////////////////////////////////////

///////////////////////////////////// SPOILER ALERT /////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Tactical Operations Center (TOC) which consists of the 2nd Battalion HQ team,  XO team and Bn. naval gunfire Observer (FO) team. 

Jmdw7owh.jpg

The XO was designated Target Reference Point Coordination Officer (TRPCO) for the TOC.  It was decided to leave one TRP on all forts except Fort De L 'Eminence.  Because of the size of Fort Eminence it got two TRPs.  The other TRPs were placed to support the scheme of maneuver of the three companies.  Generally on reverse slopes and where defenses might be located.  The XO (operations officer) acting as TRPCO is placed on a permanent Pause.  A waypoint from the TRPCO is placed on every TRP.  A 50 meter 360o Target Arc is then placed on the TRP waypoints.  During the mission when the operations officer is selected he dutifully reveals the location of the TRPs along with there effective radius (50 meters).    

MMRUwF5h.jpg

The Battalion Naval Gunfire Observer is designated as the liaison for all naval gunfire from the USS Augusta (203mm).  A harassment fire mission set to maximum will last for approximately 18 minutes.  According to the support panel it will take about 4 minutes per adjustment.  Resulting in about 4 minutes of fire per fort.   Fort De La Vigie is targeted during setup with a 10 minute delay. 

5T2P8i3h.jpg

The XO was also tasked with keeping track of danger close areas for the infantry.  The following formula was used to determine danger close in the game (RL is much different).  Area of the fire mission divided by 2 + X = Danger Close.  X is the mm of the asset:  0mm to 70mm X is 15M.   71mm to 107mm X is 25M.   108mm & above X = 35M.   I have never used this formula with naval gunfire before so it will be interesting to see how it works out.   The XO does the math and plots the result on the map using a 360o Armor Target Arc plotted on the center of the naval gunfire plot (both on the TRP in the fort). 

5d0FL9kh.jpg      

////////////////////////////// SPOILER ALERT ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER ALERT ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////SPOILER ALERT //////////////////////////

Including some house rules when playing vs the AI.  Orders for Phase One of the attack:

4th Company:  Secure Fort De La Vigie and Hill 137.

5th Company: Secure Flat Top hill.  

6th Company: Reserve, advance west following 5th Company.  

The Company HQ teams are given a temporary Pause and plot out the axis of advance for the company.  When vehicles are present I like to use the green reverse waypoint lines of a Paused vehicle to display the axis.  The reverse line stands out among all the Quick, Fast, Hunt & Move lines the fire teams will be plotting. 

4th Company axis of advance around and up to Fort De La Vigie

c687csyh.jpg

5th Company axis of advance to the area of Flat Top Hill

3fh5SDFh.jpg

The platoon HQ teams all display 50 meter 360o Target Arcs (automatic C2 voice range).  The platoons will advance along the general area of the plotted company axis of advance.  The fire teams must be in C2 with the platoon HQ to be given orders.  So they will generally be within the 50 meter (100 meters across) Target Arc displayed by the HQ team.  Kind of a command radius.  This results in the platoon HQ team doing some running around yelling orders at the fire teams.  As an example below is 1st Platoon, 5th Company advancing along the company axis in the direction of Flat Top Hill. 

SCyDsALh.jpg

Edited by MOS:96B2P

14 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

@MOS:96B2P - I hate you clever blokes who think about stuff - might be your undoing though. However it turns out, as always I hope that it will be enjoyable.

////////////////////////////////////// POSSIBLE SPOILER //////////////////////////////////////////////

As always your scenarios are very enjoyable.  I probably went through a lot of work moving those TRPs around for not much gain.  The naval gunfire should probably be reserved for the forts.  There is not enough of it to hit the forts and whatever else I stumble upon during my nature walk west towards Port Cros.  The 60s and direct fire can get some limited use out of the TRPs but in hindsight moving them probably won't change much.  

The maxed out harassing naval gunfire has done a number on the first fort however :D.  To early to have BDA on the other forts yet. 

INCOMING!!!!!!!!

3HIIYNdh.jpg

The S2 pulls out his OpFor ordnance recognition & capabilities handbook and does a quick check.  

mBRk9ALh.jpg

wMgml0Lh.jpg

uq5JAJch.jpg

Identified as 50mm on map mortar.  45 rounds HE.  Range 24 - 520 meters. 

Interesting......... the 50mm in the first screenshot (in the scenario) is falling a bit horizontal.  That normally happens with off map medium mortars.  Don't think I have noticed light mortars (which can only be on map) have a horizontal fall.  @Bulletpoint IIRC you originally discovered the horizontal vs vertical mortar bomb fall for determining if an OpFor medium mortar was on map or off map.  Have you noticed this with light mortars?   

/////////////////////////////////// SPOILER ALERT ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER ALERT //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SITREP 0731hrs

D0LG34Fh.jpg

1)   4th Company destroys a bunker in the area of Fort De La Vigie.

g2KvUhch.jpg

dhQfRnbh.jpg

Ur8bWcGh.jpg

OY9P75mh.jpg

2)   5th Company secures Y Crossroads.

za7aIcyh.jpg

2 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

@Bulletpoint IIRC you originally discovered the horizontal vs vertical mortar bomb fall for determining if an OpFor medium mortar was on map or off map.  Have you noticed this with light mortars?   

I believe it was an old bug that was fixed in 4.0; at least I haven't noticed in while playing CMFB. Back then, I think I only noticed it with US 81mm mortars.

I still sometimes pause to see if I can catch one falling the wrong way (My SOP is OCD...)

Edited by Bulletpoint

2 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I believe it was an old bug that was fixed in 4.0, at least I haven't noticed in while playing CMFB. Back then, I think I only noticed it with US 81mm mortars.

I still sometimes pause to see if I can catch one falling the wrong way (My SOP is OCD...)

:D  Okay.  It's been awhile since I played CMBN.  I have in my notes the German and US off map medium mortars would descend horizontal.  Maybe I'll test (if I remember) after the new patch.  I've not seen this horizontal fall in light mortars before.    

So, what do you do with the mortar bomb after you catch it?  :D  :lol:  :)   

5 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

INCOMING!!!!!!!!

3HIIYNdh.jpg

The S2 pulls out his OpFor ordinance recognition & capabilities handbook and does a quick check.  

mBRk9ALh.jpg

wMgml0Lh.jpg

uq5JAJch.jpg

Identified as 50mm on map mortar.  45 rounds HE.  Range 24 - 520 meters. 

Interesting......... the 50mm in the first screenshot (in the scenario) is falling a bit horizontal.  That normally happens with off map medium mortars.  Don't think I have noticed light mortars (which can only be on map) have a horizontal fall.  @Bulletpoint IIRC you originally discovered the horizontal vs vertical mortar bomb fall for determining if an OpFor medium mortar was on map or off map.  Have you noticed this with light mortars?   

Impressive int skills there mate although it should be an ordnance handbook because you're not analysing enemy laws 😏

32 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Impressive int skills there mate although it should be an ordnance handbook because you're not analysing enemy laws 😏

Well ...................... the spelling was part of OPSEC to throw off OpFor agents so they wouldn't discover all the impressive information the S2 shop had compiled on their armaments.   Next you'll be telling them about Bletchley Park..................... :D.   Since you blew the cover off OPSEC I went back and changed it.  Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

////////////////////////////////// SPOILER ///////////////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Fighting in and around Fort De La Vigie.

Gj3iM0hh.jpg

33Kh8mXh.jpg

Objective secured.

tf7upCth.jpg