New Scenario - Assault on Port Cros

//////////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER ///////////////////////////////////////////

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SITREP 0745hrs.

RkSQ2kvh.jpg

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////SPOILER///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////SPOILER//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SITREP 0810hrs.

Fortin de la Vigie secured.

Fortin de L'Eminence secured.

Screenshots of the fighting at the gate of Fortin De L'Estissac

Zvu2pEyh.jpg

Engineers use Demo charges and hand grenades on a bunker. 

jZSgJheh.jpg

905XAZvh.jpg

avETOkYh.jpg

GaZflXMh.jpg

//////////////////////////////////////SPOILER////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////SPOILER/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SITREP 0810hrs.

ToCQ5abh.jpg

//////////////////////////////////////////////SPOILER ALERT////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////SPOILER ALERT////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

0817hrs OpFor surrenders, Total Victory. 

I2Mq7Gnh.jpg

AAR map screen at 0817hrs.

8JUpIkEh.jpg

The naval gunfire team did an amazing job.

n10EAKnh.jpg

As was mentioned in the PDF that comes with this scenario, there is a problem with the surrendering behavior.  I don't know if it is just in CMBN or maybe some of the other titles also.  These OpFor troops, at the Y Crossroads (see screenshot on previous page), have been surrendering since about 0730hrs.  At the end of the battle 0817hrs they still have not displayed the white flag and disappeared from the map.  Also there are more OpFor troops back at Fortin De La Vigie that have been surrendering for about an hour with no white flag.  

eT5GuN1h.jpg

Knocked out 88.  Just because it looks cool. 

S2HcjNvh.jpg

Assault on Port Cros is another excellent scenario that I highly recommend.  It is available at the scenario depot.  See the below link. 

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cm-battles-for-normandy/assault-on-port-cros/

Edited by MOS:96B2P

29 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Assault on Port Cros is another excellent scenario that I highly recommend.  It is available at the scenario depot.  See the below link. 

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cm-battles-for-normandy/assault-on-port-cros/

Thanks mate - interested to know which was the trickiest of the assaults from your perspective. Apologies for the AI surrender by the way but in this instance I just didn't see it as credible having a unit fight to the death on an isolated island using the 'reinforcements that never arrive' trick. It looks like you paid a fairly high price casualty-wise which certainly happened to me in one of my tests - I went from having lost only a couple of guys in one turn to being on the wrong end of a bloodbath the next!

Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

6 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Apologies for the AI surrender by the way but in this instance I just didn't see it as credible having a unit fight to the death on an isolated island using the 'reinforcements that never arrive' trick.

I was expecting it when I saw the time limit.  The latest a reinforcement group can arrive is at the three hour mark so with the length of this scenario I was guessing the trick would not be in play.  It all made sense and worked out to be believable.       

/////////////////////////////////////////SPOILERS//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

6 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Thanks mate - interested to know which was the trickiest of the assaults from your perspective.

The modular buildings in the port objective were surprisingly tough.  I thought I would get troops on the ridge above them and easily rain down death on all below.  Of course the OpFor, in the buildings, didn't just sit there but shot back and with better effect than I anticipated.  I also foolishly sent 3rd Platoon / 4th Company on a flanking maneuver south of the port.  The map is covered with trees but does not have light or heavy woodland base tiles.  I knew this from IPB but did not fully understand what I knew.  I thought 3rd Platoon would come down from the high ground of Hill 137, through the woods and hit the OpFor 88s in the flank.  However the platoon was visible to multiple OpFor positions including the previously mentioned modular buildings.  If it wasn't for their smoke grenades casualties in 3rd Platoon would have been even worse.   

Out of the forts the first one, Fortin de la Vigie was probably the hardest just because it was first.  I developed a system after that which made the other forts easier.  But those d@%^ modular buildings......................  :)

Good scenario.  It made me think of Port Stanley in the Falklands.  Having to maneuver forces across country to take a port from the land side............. you know with the amphibious ability in CMSF2 the Falklands could be an interesting idea..................:D.   

@MOS:96B2P thanks for the feedback - your experience by the sounds of it pretty much replicates the bloodbath turn I had in the test I was talking about.

The Falklands - now you mention it, there is a slight Port Stanley feel to it but there is not a wind strength setting in the editor strong enough to do the place justice. I think most of the time I was there the wind strength was 20-25 kts minimum. I remember walking back from work to what we called the Death Star which was where all of the accommodation, messes and bars were. A distance of about 400m and by the time I entered the Death Star my face felt as if I'd suffered a stroke in that one side of it (the side facing the wind) was completely numb. I take my hat off to anybody who fought there, it is a fight just to exist, let alone actually engage in combat.

4 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

A distance of about 400m and by the time I entered the Death Star my face felt as if I'd suffered a stroke in that one side of it (the side facing the wind) was completely numb. 

It probably took the rest of the body several beers to catch up with the numb half face............. :D :lol: :)

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:18 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

It probably took the rest of the body several beers to catch up with the numb half face............. :D :lol: :)

As my replacement said to me (predictably in the mess) about two years after the event - 'I had a great tour and a great handover because if noting else, at least I knew where all the bars were before you left'.

2 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

Quality in details very interresting nice to see the developpment step by step !!

Not quite step by step but I always think it is helpful for people to know how things are put together to give them a better understanding of how the editor works and to encourage more potential scenario designers to make that first leap. Once you get started, like most things in life, the mechanics get easier. The problem is though that the more you do it, the better you want to be at it.

Anyway, thanks for the observation.

41 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Not quite step by step but I always think it is helpful for people to know how things are put together to give them a better understanding of how the editor works and to encourage more potential scenario designers to make that first leap. Once you get started, like most things in life, the mechanics get easier. The problem is though that the more you do it, the better you want to be at it.

Anyway, thanks for the observation.

Yes and in my "understanding" this is what I mean when I say step by step,  ...a correct and detailled explanation about all what ou did untill now...

• 2 weeks later...

Assault on Port Cros is now available en français dans le texteAssault on Port Cros » CombatMission.fr

What may be of some interest for non French speakers is that this version is tagged and a companion pack is available at the bottom of the page. It does contain a few atmospheric mods, ie. the ocean horizon from @LongLeftFlank's CMBN Pacific Terrain, day background sound from @kendar's Quiet Background mod and FSSF portrait from @Mord's & @Darknight (DC)'s Gustav Portraits mod.

S! @Combatintman for your efforts creating such fun and challenging scenarios, and for sharing your knowledge.

@MOS:96B2P sensei, great DAR. Your posts on the TRPCO/danger close areas and on the platoon's axis of advance are very stimulating

Riviera nous voilà! ;)

Edited by CMFDR

25 minutes ago, CMFDR said:

Assault on Port Cros is now available en français dans le texteAssault on Port Cros » CombatMission.fr

What may be of some interest for non French speakers is that this version is tagged and a companion pack is available at the bottom of the page. It does contain a few atmospheric mods, ie. the ocean horizon from @LongLeftFlank's CMBN Pacific Terrain, day background sound from @kendar's Quiet Background mod and FSSF portrait from @Mord's & @Darknight (DC)'s Gustav Portraits mod.

S! @Combatintman for your efforts creating such fun and challenging scenarios, and for sharing your knowledge.

@MOS:96B2P sensei, great DAR. Your posts on the TRPCO/danger close areas and on the platoon's axis of advance are very stimulating

Riviera nous voilà! ;)

Thanks to you again my friend for taking a large amount of your time translating this, making it accessible to a wider audience and adding considerable value. Je te remercie beaucoup mon ami (or something like that in French 😏)