Sign in to follow this  
Chibot Mk IX

ATGM malfunction?

I noticed that sometime the lunched ATGM missile will drop on the ground 2 to 3 seconds after the missile left the tube.  This happens on wired guide ATGM like AT-4 and AT-7. At first I thought it is to simulate low experience operator. But latter I found out that even Veteran/Crack ATGM group could experience this problem.  So is it simulate the malfunction of ATGM?  or simulate the missile is out of control because wire entangled with trees?  

What is chance this will happen?  (My limit game experience give me a number of 20%)

Thx

There's a failure rate due to operator/other error, but there are also passive protection systems like shtora, which can do the same job. The operator can also just fly the damn thing into the ground.

Failure rates are therefore very difficult to appproximate.

Programmer Charles addressed a question about this in CMSF2. Missiles have a coded-in random failure %. The earlier the generation of missiles the higher the chance that it won't make it all the way to the target. AT-3 Sagger in CMSF is particularly untrustworthy. AT-4, AT-7, AT-13, AT-14 have increasing reliability levels.  Even Javelin occasionally bites the dust. Add to that environmental factors, ECM levels, operator suppression or experience/motivation/fitness or his link to command.

In the war on Donbas about 30 % of all AT-4 launches failed because of lost of control over the missile or because missile even didn't get out from container. Expired term of using... So such game modelling has a sense.

Thanks everyone, good to know

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, Haiduk said:

In the war on Donbas about 30 % of all AT-4 launches failed because of lost of control over the missile or because missile even didn't get out from container. Expired term of using... So such game modelling has a sense.

I remember there was a video clip of US SOF and SDF try to intercept an incoming ISIS VBIED, 3 Milan launches failed as missiles out of control and dropped to the ground, then American has to use the Javelin to destroy that VBIED

On 10/11/2018 at 9:31 PM, Haiduk said:

I once told how the rocket came back after the launch due to the fact that it was already quite old. Fortunately, everything went without a serious incident.

On 10/17/2018 at 6:15 PM, Ivan Zaitzev said:

Expired term of using? Didn't know those things had an expiration date. Do you know what specific part degrades and how much it last?

The solid fuel mostly. The command wires for wire guided missiles can degrade over time as well.

1 hour ago, Splinty said:

The solid fuel mostly. The command wires for wire guided missiles can degrade over time as well.

Since then I have read that the battery can degrade and some Jihadist groups have find a way to bypass the dead battery and use an external one.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:44 PM, Chibot Mk IX said:

Thanks everyone, good to know

I remember there was a video clip of US SOF and SDF try to intercept an incoming ISIS VBIED, 3 Milan launches failed as missiles out of control and dropped to the ground, then American has to use the Javelin to destroy that VBIED 

Are you refering to this video ?

If yes, it was French SF and Peshmerga firing a Milan at a VBIED that missed, so they fired a Javelin that destroyed it.

You reminded me that originally, when the Mujahideen were fighting the Russians in Afghanistan, it was planned to supply the insurgents with British Blowpipe AA missiles. Only problem was in tests Blowpipe couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. That's when it was decided to supply them with Stinger instead.

7 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I attributed that to the Javelin setting off the explosives in the truck. The Milan, as nearly as I could make out, was a clear miss.

Michael

That could be it.