Sign in to follow this  
The Wolves of Steel

bailing out of an AT gun

On 10/10/2018 at 4:39 PM, Erwin said:

Many have commented on this and wanted the feature that guns could be recrewed.  But, not possible currently.

Yep, that‘s strange, because re-manning a tank is possible.

Not, that I often get the chance to do so.😎

10 hours ago, rocketman said:

I also seem to recall that Steve once said about the issue that AT gun crews usually spiked the gun when abandoning it. 

Spiking the guns? I only know that from muzzle loaders, where crews hammered a spike into the touchhole when abandoning the gun.

From a breach loader, one could remove the lock block. But that is a more complicated task. In my service times, I had to disassemble the lock of a 20mm AA gun a few times. Which usually ended in a Desaster. Well, it took me much longer than my trainers expected.

Edited by StieliAlpha

On 10/13/2018 at 12:51 PM, rocketman said:

Putting a grenade in the barrel did the trick.

Wasn't the barrel designed to handle much greater pressure than from a grenade?

(disclaimer: I don't know the answer to this question)

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Wasn't the barrel designed to handle much greater pressure than from a grenade?

It's the difference between high explosive and low explosive. A high explosive like TNT propagates very, very quickly, while a propellent like cordite propagates more slowly. So the high explosive reaches its maximum expansion more or less instantaneously, whereas the propellent develops its pressure gradually as the projectile is accelerated down the barrel. The high explosive exceeds the limits of the tube's elasticity and it shatters. At least, that's how I understand it.

Michael

On 10/17/2018 at 5:58 PM, rocketman said:

I think thermite grenades were used when possible. They create massive amounts of heat that would make the barrel deform.

Why would they bother with special thermite grenades if regular hand grenades would shatter the barrel?

5 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Why would they bother with special thermite grenades if regular hand grenades would shatter the barrel?

Better safe than sorry, perhaps? Also larger caliber guns might need more to be put out of comission. Think thermite was used for tanks also.