Shock Force 2 Beta Showcase Video

9 minutes ago, sburke said:

I luckily missed most of the nonsense on the forum etc 

It was bad. I think I pretty much only visited and posted during patches, hard to remember now but the negativity was just depressing. I think the game came out about six months too early, if not more. We didn't even have the blue bar! You know how the bar loads up and then you watch the turn. It can take 10 secs or 20 secs to load. Well, the turn loaded as you watched it. So, no matter what, every turn took sixty seconds to load, and until it played out the first time you couldn't rewind or fast forward. For a while the game wouldn't even reset damage and such when you'd replay the turn. I had faith they'd fix it all (and they did for the most part) but there was a lot of hate, animosity and doom and gloom. LOL. Worst I have ever seen it here.

Mord.

6 hours ago, General Jack Ripper said:

Nice to see BLUEFOR has learned to place their M-4's in semi, instead of all full auto, all the time.

Very much agree. The Syrians also have better fire discipline as well, as (quickly) shown in the video. 

5 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

If you watch closely at the end, you'll understand why they're wearing track suits.

😄

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

The only good defense against them is to keep them from getting to their target areas.  Once there, it's not going to be pretty

Good thing the Syrians can shoot back now! 😜

3 hours ago, Mord said:

Cool, video. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Cpt Miller has won two days in a row!

Pfffffffft

Thanks I think?

Apache Longbow earns its high pricetag when going up against defended targets. Funny thing, people clamored for A10 Thunderbolt in CMBS but it seems to be rather ignored in CMSF. Well, that's what we've got the updated QB feature for. You no longer need to rely on scenario designers to give you your favorite toys to play with.

Judging from the rate of forum postings and the very very latest post(s) by Steve commenting/replying back on the released beta video - I sense its close.

I also think it could have served as an exercise... are there / is there anything in the video , that is worth commenting about that is not right ? (except the bird song :P)

28 minutes ago, borg said:

Judging from the rate of forum postings and the very very latest post(s) by Steve commenting/replying back on the released beta video - I sense its close.

I do hope he announces an actual date instead of suddenly releasing, though! I've been holding back my preorder money to check the demo first - you never know.

8 minutes ago, Rujasu said:

I do hope he announces an actual date instead of suddenly releasing, though! I've been holding back my preorder money to check the demo first - you never know.

I tend to agree... In fact - perhaps some veterans of the game can remind us, Is it norm for BFC to release an actual date when v close as opposed to 'end of Sept', or 'before the month of November' or 'Xmas time'. I think I know what @Rujasu means... it does build a different type of hype if a date is set.. even if in 2 weeks time. Hell even if in one month time.

I am happy to see some video from Shock Force 2, no doubt, but the video is terrible.
11 Seconds of logos as an intro, and then 17 Seconds of plain desert, only with some bland utility poles in the background?
Thats nearly 30 seconds of nothing interesting to see right at the beginning, before we see the first something, a river, some green and buildings, and oh! Some foxholes and tranches.
First Infantry at 36 seconds, finally something mildly interesting to see.
1:41 why show this Abrams waiting? What is the point of this? They are advancing, so show them advancing. Everything between 1:41 and 2:06 is useless. Thats 25 seconds, completely pointless.
The combat footage is okay, but could be a bit shortened in some parts. Composition and structure of the pictures could be better, with a stronger focus on the tactics.
In the end, this trailer is interesting for customers, who already decided to buy CMSF2 like me. For other people it might be even a turn off signal that this game is not for them.
If I would want to convince a friend to buy the game, even if he is interested in the topic of realistic combat tactic games, I am not sure if I would be able to do it with that showcase video.

21 minutes ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

In the end, this trailer is interesting for customers, who already decided to buy CMSF2 like me. For other people it might be even a turn off signal that this game is not for them.
If I would want to convince a friend to buy the game, even if he is interested in the topic of realistic combat tactic games, I am not sure if I would be able to do it with that showcase video.

Well, in your opinion, what would be the perfect screenplay synopsis for people not knowing CMSF?

4 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

Well, in your opinion, what would be the perfect screenplay synopsis for people not knowing CMSF?

- Stronger Focus on the tactical perspective of the game (it is shown already, but could be more focused on in my opinion)
- Stronger Focus on showing equipment of the units in Shock Force 2
- Better visual composition of the shown pictures from an artistic perspective
- Cut out unnecessary material

I thought it was fine. And I would think it's fine if I'd never played the game before. It's one video not the final word ever on SF2. LOL.

I think IICaptMillerII did a decent job.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

I think the problem lies in the shown scenario, the only real interesting thing about the map is, that it shows the hull down positions of the Syrian tanks and the river with the bridge. I assume that this was the choice why this map was used, to show it to the core customer base (good choice here, but don´t make it a core feature in the video.) and the focus shifted away from the tactic scenario and the equipment, which would be interesting for new players.
The American troops attack, you can see some combined arms and some fire and movement, which is good! Love it! But they are just steamrolling the Syrian troops with them having no proper reaction. I know thats realistic, but a different scenario, with smaller, maybe even more diverse forces fighting against each other on a tactical level would be better to show the spirit of the game.
Please keep in mind, I don´t critizise because I don´t like the game, I think the Combat Mission series is awesome, but I like to point out, what I think could be better.

For me as an CMSF2 fan, the video was good, but basically everything new to see about CMSF2 is awesome for me, no matter what.

Edited by Dr.Fusselpulli

4 hours ago, Rujasu said:

I've been holding off posting an official update because there's been an annoying detail and a few other things that needed to get nailed down first.  It's pretty much where I need it to be, so expect a post in a few days.  And no, it won't be to announce CMSF2 is now ready for downloading.

2 hours ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

For me as an CMSF2 fan, the video was good, but basically everything new to see about CMSF2 is awesome for me, no matter what.

Great, because that's the intended outcome :)

Steve

3 hours ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

- Stronger Focus on the tactical perspective of the game (it is shown already, but could be more focused on in my opinion)
- Stronger Focus on showing equipment of the units in Shock Force 2
- Better visual composition of the shown pictures from an artistic perspective
- Cut out unnecessary material

It's a video presumably made by a beta tester in response to complaints of lack of any information. It's not a promotional video made by someone who does that as a job, collects a whole bunch of footage with the best camera angles and action shots, all carefully directed, scripted and edited with a dramatic voice or music component to promote the game.

A narrated play through like the CMFI Bear Claws AAR video of Josey Wales would be awesome, but I'd expect that sort of thing nearer release, made with the 1.0rc build of the game. Whether something like that appears remains to be seen, since BF doesn't do the promo trailer video pizzazz at all.

25 minutes ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

Yes, but this is caused by the product in itself, I know about the value of the game. Not because of the video, which is not in a shape to gain new customers.

Everybody is entitled to their opinions, so yours is as valid as anybody else's.  My opinion differs ;)  I think the video does what it is supposed to do.

Steve

In this case, I probably have to agree with Mord

3 hours ago, Mord said:

I think IICaptMillerII did a decent job.

CaptMiller probably did the best according to his abilities in this field. But maybe he was not the right person to do the job at that specific task.
Yes, the purpose of the video was to show something to the core community, thats a two sided edge, because no matter what, the video is a promotion video at the same time. It is news worthy, as this is the first proper video of a (kind of) new game.

And I don´t think, that Comabt Mission needs a trailer like Call of Duty or something, this would go into a wrong direction. A decent down to earth, humble video showing the core gameplay elements in the best possible way would be perfect, as this will reach the target audience of the game with the right premise.

Edited by Dr.Fusselpulli

The video was designed to show you guys something while you wait.  It was designed to show off specific elements of the gameplay and how it differs from the original CMSF.  It was not designed to be the most in depth, greatest video known to man which would go onto win an Oscar or to make or break CMSF2 sales going forward.  So why complain other than to have something to complain about?

Steve

39 minutes ago, Harry Speakup said:

It's a video presumably made by a beta tester in response to complaints of lack of any information. It's not a promotional video made by someone who does that as a job, collects a whole bunch of footage with the best camera angles and action shots, all carefully directed, scripted and edited with a dramatic voice or music component to promote the game.

Essentially. I thought a video showing tanks, explosions, gun fights, and the new updated features would be a bit more fun than a few more screenshots on the website. I'm not even a beta tester. I'm just a guy who likes CM and has the hardware, software and patience to put together video's of gameplay. I am certainly not a professional, and I have no grand illusions of becoming a professional YouTuber or anything like that. It's just a fun hobby for me that I figured could benefit the community while we all wait for the game to be released. 

It's impossible to please everyone, but I'm happy with the vast majority of the feedback I've received, and I think most people have enjoyed getting to see a bit more SF2 before it releases. At the very least I hope it's better than nothing. 

@IICptMillerII
for this intention, it worked quite fine. No hard feelings against you, I think you do a good job.

@Battlefront.com
Yes, I see that. As I told you before, for fans of the game, everything new to see is great.
I made my point clear, why I think the video is not good, from two perspectives. First, what the not good content was specificly, and secondly why it was not good in perspective to which people. The only open question is, does it matter. I say yes

42 minutes ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

because no matter what, the video is a promotion video at the same time. It is news worthy, as this is the first proper video of a (kind of) new game.

You say no, because "that was not our goal".
Fine. No bad feelings here, just constructive critics, customer feedback. It was not my intent, to open up a discussion about it, just to point out a weak-point to be reinforced.
Thats the function of a dispute, change and improvement. I should have known better, that this would start an argument, as my point was controversial. This wasn´t my intention, and I am sorry about it. Maybe it was, because I am working in the field, PR of a videogame, and the flaws were basically stabbing me in the eye. Same job, just another company. But I already explained everything about it. So, no need to discuss it further.

Continue, I am looking forward to CMSF2 :)

Edited by Dr.Fusselpulli

27 minutes ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

@IICptMillerII
for this intention, it worked quite fine. No hard feelings against you, I think you do a good job.

@Battlefront.com
Yes, I see that. As I told you before, for fans of the game, everything new to see is great.
I made my point clear, why I think the video is not good, from two perspectives. First, what the not good content was specificly, and secondly why it was not good in perspective to which people. The only open question is, does it matter. I say yes

You say no, because "that was not our goal".
Fine. No bad feelings here, just constructive critics, customer feedback. It was not my intent, to open up a discussion about it, just to point out a weak-point to be reinforced.
Thats the function of a dispute, change and improvement. I should have known better, that this would start an argument, as my point was controversial. This wasn´t my intention, and I am sorry about it. Maybe it was, because I am working in the field, PR of a videogame, and the flaws were basically stabbing me in the eye. Same job, just another company. But I already explained everything about it. So, no need to discuss it further.

Continue, I am looking forward to CMSF2 :)

Just some friendly constructive criticism: your post wasn't really a good example of constructive criticism. :)

CptMiller, thanks for your efforts in making the video and communicating with the forum members. I am sure you are a busy guy and your time is limited.  As many have noted, folks are not happy with the lack of communication from BFC.

With that said, as a longtime supporter of BFC and especially CM:Shock Force 1, I want to share my thoughts.

This video is a good example of why BFC needs a Public Relations (PR)/Community Manager. This person needs to be artistic, creative, talented with photo and video editing software, and good with social media.  BFC has turned over AAR's and video creation to Beta Testers/Volunteers rather than people with the talents to do them effectively for presentation to the general public.

I know that Moon and then ChrisND tried to fill the PR role to some extent in the past. This video and the two AAR's that were attempted previously all are generally fails, in my opinion, at presenting the game in a good light.  (Bil's contributions to the AAR's was quite good, however, due to his background and photoshop skills).

Regarding this video here are my Pro's and Con's:

Pro's

- At least a video and communication with the forum community was attempted

- The colored setup areas, and green objective areas were not shown

- The time of day and lighting were ok

- The updated vehicle, equipment, and uniform models look good

Con's

- Video starts off showing zig-zag roads which still look horrible.

- The whole defensive setup of the Red team was ridiculous.  After the 1991 and 2003 invasion of Iraq and the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan by the U.S., are any countries still setting up static tank and trench defenses when attacked?

- This was a turkey shoot, or like shooting fish in a barrel, or whatever analogy you want to use; not very compelling or interesting.

- The same recycled sounds that were present in the 2007 CM:SF 1 release are still present.

- The same dated soldier animations that look like they are moving under water or stuck in quicksand are present.  Isn't it time for the animations to be updated?

- The trenches and foxholes are so clunky and such an eyesore.  I know it is for fog of war, however, the trenches in CM:SF 1 were much better aesthetically.  They really look goofy especially with soldiers sticking half-way out.

- The trenches appeared to offer very little protection from the helicopter attack, so why use them?  It was stated in another post that this is realistic - really?

- The town setup was not realistic and looked boring and drab.

- The AA vehicles were not located in an area where they could survive long enough to fire at the incoming helicopter.

- The water graphics really don't look good.  Occasionally, water looks ok with the proper lighting conditions, but not in this video.

Granted, a lot of my comments are due to CMx2 limitations. However, with a well-designed map, lighting, troop/vehicle selection and camera angles, a compelling and aesthetically pleasing video can be created.

So in summary this video really showcases a lot of the CMx2 flaws, and did not compare/contrast the differences between CMSF 1 and 2 very well.  It also seems apparent to me that it is time for CMx3.

Maybe I am a bit jaded after 11 years of CMx2, however, I hope BFC will take PR more seriously in the future.  Seems that it can only help improve their bottom line, although based on their lack of communication with customers and any sort of marketing, it must not be a priority.

Really?  This is a volunteer effort by an individual who stepped up and offered to do something to ease the wait and instead of saying thanks man we really appreciate it he gets s**t?  It is his first shot at it and he threw something together to start trying his hand.  If you want to continue to see stuff like this then lighten up. WTF would he want to continue trying his hand at it with responses like this?  I swear you guys could f**k up a wet dream.