Scenario to QB?

Actually, the Scenario Editor are primarily for Scenarios & Maps and not for Campaigns (thou, there is also an advanced way to edit Campaigns outside the norm, but can't remember how).

Now, I'm not sure you can edit a Scenario into a QB, but rather can edit a Map to be used in a QB...Find out what map that Scenario is using (look into the Briefing for exact Map number). Then play a QB, but only use that Map number. You will now be able to have a QB that uses a specific Map (same map that the Scenario uses).

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

Anything that you open in the editor can be saved for a QB. The trick is you have to set the battle type (attack, assault, meeting engagement...) and the size (tiny, small...). Plus you have to put it in the QB folder. Then you will only see it in the QB list to choose the matching battle type and size.

I've tried  opening QBs in the editor, editing the map and units for both sides, and saving them back in the QB folder. However, when I reopen them, the file cannot be saved for PBEM. There must be some conflict when changing the original file. This also happens when I make a new map, save it as a QB file in the QB folder, but it cannot be saved as a PBEM file after it is opened. Perhaps this is the problem, no able to save as PBEM playable?

Edited by dominick
word order

7 hours ago, dominick said:

I've tried  opening QBs in the editor, editing the map and units for both sides, and saving them back in the QB folder. However, when I reopen them, the file cannot be saved for PBEM. There must be some conflict when changing the original file. This also happens when I make a new map, save it as a QB file in the QB folder, but it cannot be saved as a PBEM file after it is opened. Perhaps this is the problem, no able to save as PBEM playable?

The clever folks on here will probably need a bit more info. Like what exactly was the process you went through when amending the files, what is the filename you are using and can you play it as a QB against the AI rather than as a PBEM game?

4 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I have alway assumed that a scenario couldn't be saved as a QB because there was no facility for saving the units, triggers, etc. Am I missing something?

Michael

Yeah, I also think you can't save a Scenario as a QB, because there is no actually QB Scenario Folder (only QB Maps) to save it to.

Edited by JoMc67

I just did it. I saved the scenario to the quick battle folder (I added a "as QB" to the end). Note the battle type (in this case for Barkan's corner it is an attack) and the size (in this case small). Then fire up the QB screen and choose a small attack and human selected map. Press OK and there it is. Works too. Obviously if you want a fight vs the AI to be any good you will need to put in some additional work.

Although I somehow managed to make a playable hot seat file from a QB map, it does appear that altered QB maps, or even scenario maps can't be saved as PBEM files. I've tried many combinations, including saving them and exporting them to the QB folder, changing the file extension, etc.

The purpose of asking the question is to find a way to have more units available to deploy in QB games, besides getting rid of rarity or increasing force adjustment, which only affects one side in PBEM. In a regular CMBN game, my opponent and I would like to have huge maps with huge forces to deploy. If anyone knows a way around this, a reply would be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, IanL said:

I just did it. I saved the scenario to the quick battle folder (I added a "as QB" to the end). Note the battle type (in this case for Barkan's corner it is an attack) and the size (in this case small). Then fire up the QB screen and choose a small attack and human selected map. Press OK and there it is. Works too. Obviously if you want a fight vs the AI to be any good you will need to put in some additional work.

Thanks, I'll give this a try to see if it will work for altering a QB map for PBEM.

There is no way to by pass the qb screen for force selection. Oh wait yes there is - the scenario editor :)  More seriously a friend of mine and I did this. You can read about it here:

Sadly we never finished the AAR but the instructions on on how we get started will work for you. It does require a trustworthy opponent. You know someone you can PIRL (punch in real life) :D

Yep worked like a charm. I played PBEM until the bullets started flying, in my case until turn 009. It all worked as expected. Used the scenario map I created earlier and picked forces and battled. Just simple run at the objective orders as a test.

I have no idea what you are doing wrong but there must be something...

Edited by IanL

5 hours ago, IanL said:

Yep worked like a charm. I played PBEM until the bullets started flying, in my case until turn 009. It all worked as expected. Used the scenario map I created earlier and picked forces and battled. Just simple run at the objective orders as a test.

I have no idea what you are doing wrong but there must be something...

Here's what I did, if you can find what is wrong. Open scenario ed> loaded meet large hills QB-108> selected one Battalion each for Allied and Axis> saved file in QB folder as QB-108 as QB> opened QB folder and selected this file, selected meet, combat force mix for US and Germans, unit purchase as human for both sides> select meet large hills QB-108 as QB> hit fight> chose Allied force, 2 player email> enter password> QB 001shows as the save file>OK> email save failed, could not be created in the outgoing email directory.

This happens when there is already a file in the outgoing email directory with the same name (QB 001). Delete it and the ~QB 001 (temp) file the game creates when this happens and it should work. Do note however that your attempt to circumvent the QB purchase point limits in the scenario editor will not work. When you begin a QB any forces place there in the scenario editor are ignored.

To Make a Scen  a QB Map:

1. Copy/past the scen to the Quick Battle Map File

2. Delete All Unit Files.

3.  In the editor Make certain  there is a Red painted setup area and a Blue setup area

4. For play against the AI: The original pathing WILL work but may not be suitable for a QB match.  Of course not a problem for head to head.

5. Re-name and Save the scen in the Quick battle maps file.

6. Start and Play from the Quick Battle Game

To make a QB Map a Scen:

1. Move the QB Map to the scen file

2. Add Units place them on the map in the designated Blue and Red setup areas ( H2 H need only get the Blue in Blue and the Red in Red)

3. Set time weather to your liking

4. Start and play game from Battle Game.