Jump to content

Recommended Posts

For Shock Force 2, what do each of the dlc add? How is the composition of new units? How did you enjoy the missions? I'm from the US, so personally, if the M1A2 Abrams is involved, I'm soaking myself XD. Which ones are your guys' favorites?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mousie said:

For Shock Force 2, what do each of the dlc add? How is the composition of new units? How did you enjoy the missions? I'm from the US, so personally, if the M1A2 Abrams is involved, I'm soaking myself XD. Which ones are your guys' favorites?

do a quick look on the website store and you'll see details on what each module has more than you'll likely get here unless someone writes a wall of text..  Base game and Marines are my favorites, but I do like messing with all the units.  The AAR that was done also demonstrates various nationality units.  OPfor is in base game.  The British module does add some additional US units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally really enjoyed the Marines campaign especially the first couple of missions, which are a naval landing, I also am a huge fan of the marines APC( I forgot what it's called). The thing I enjoyed most about playing all the DLC in shock force one is that they painted a picture of the fictional large scale operation going on in the game. I remember when I first played the game I would look through and find the Dates of each of the missions in the campaign and play through in chronological order(this was a huge hassle) . I also like playing as the NATO forces because they all used Leopards which I think is a really awesome tank.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, luke221 said:

I personally really enjoyed the Marines campaign especially the first couple of missions, which are a naval landing, I also am a huge fan of the marines APC( I forgot what it's called). The thing I enjoyed most about playing all the DLC in shock force one is that they painted a picture of the fictional large scale operation going on in the game. I remember when I first played the game I would look through and find the Dates of each of the missions in the campaign and play through in chronological order(this was a huge hassle) . I also like playing as the NATO forces because they all used Leopards which I think is a really awesome tank.    

I must admit that sounds tempting. Did you be chance keep a record of the chronological order of the scenarios?

Wonder if anyone is game to try and marry up all the Blue Force campaigns into chronological order. :P It would be a nightmare for unit assignment and AI plans in the editor. You'd probably run out of unit goups to assign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I must admit that sounds tempting. Did you be chance keep a record of the chronological order of the scenarios?

Wonder if anyone is game to try and marry up all the Blue Force campaigns into chronological order. :P It would be a nightmare for unit assignment and AI plans in the editor. You'd probably run out of unit goups to assign.

I had one in my old journal Ill have to dig it up tomorrow and get back to you. that is if I can decipher my own handwriting🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since CMSF was the first version-2 game, you can really see the progression in sophistication in scenario design - both in terms of map making, and in things like AI plans. Some of the scenarios in the CMSF1 base game are very basic.

As a simple example - CMSF 1 Al Huqf Engagement. 

This is something which has been hinted has been ported over and updated in CMSF 2, and I hope this is correct.

This scenario is a symmetric platoon-vs-platoon-with-attached-IFV scenario, over a small city block. The AI plan in this is as simple as it comes - there's literally a central square painted with "assault" (or whatever the command is), which the AI moves to occupy. It's enough to get some movement out of them and make the scenario work, but the end result is a scenario which is trivial and predictable, and nothing like the sophistication of later scenarios.

Other than the different kit, that scenario quality is probably the main thing the modules offer. There's a noticeable jump even with the first module (Marines).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly each module brings additional content that is useful for designing various tactical (now historical) situation. Technicals were bring with Nato module for example. Syrian airborne by British one. If you have the possibility, do not limit yourself. Buy everything !!!

And you should try the British scenario from @Combatintman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, domfluff said:

This is something which has been hinted has been ported over and updated in CMSF 2, and I hope this is correct.

Not just hinted at. This is part of why CMSF is taking time. BF is trying to revisit as much as possible everything to bring it closer to current standards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, sburke said:

Not just hinted at. This is part of why CMSF is taking time. BF is trying to revisit as much as possible everything to bring it closer to current standards. 


True, but it's not clear precisely what the changes are (from this end) - this scenario in particular was mentioned by name, so it's plausible it has some major updates. I'm not sure that all of them need the same level of attention.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 5:10 AM, domfluff said:

Since CMSF was the first version-2 game, you can really see the progression in sophistication in scenario design - both in terms of map making, and in things like AI plans. Some of the scenarios in the CMSF1 base game are very basic.

As a simple example - CMSF 1 Al Huqf Engagement. 

Funny, I thought the simplicity of this scenario is what made it work so effectively.  I found it a terrific training ground to learn how the TacAI worked and how one type of platoon would perform against another.  In fact, I created lots of flavors of this scenario that replaced the US Army side with the Marines, Brits, Canadian, Germans and Dutch. I even created versions of it in other CMx2 titles to do similar experimentation and learning. So, I look forward to it being ported.  I just hope they don't make it more sophisticated!

Smash, out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...