They meant september of next year!

tavichh

3 minutes ago, Chudacabra said:

I think a few screenshots would assuage the impatient masses. While I do wish CM games would come out earlier, I am also aware that making such high quality products takes time and there's tons of existing CM content to keep me busy until CMSF2.

I'm not so interested in screenshots (already think SF1 looks amazing). I just hope they can keep us updated with regards to the official release. Is everything on track, any setbacks, etc.? 

Aloha troops,

I understand the frustration on delays and also the arguments regarding customer service and business practice. But for what it is worth here is how I try to look at it.

BF games are niche.  BF games are boutique.  BF games are possibly the boutique-iest niche-iest boutique niche in the market.  But they are my market niche, our market niche, and we need to recognise how unique and invaluable this product legacy is.

BF are clearly a very small group of dedicated people who develop - and keep alive - a legacy of simulated combat realism that we love.  I feel lucky this still exists in the current retail environment.  I'd suggest it is only through the personal passion and effort of a small number of people that we still have these lovely toys.

So when I get frustrated about delays and perceptions on customer service I recognise that if pure market forces and cold business decisions were at work we'd likely not have anything like the BF games we do have.  Personally, I like to support the BF crew for this reason alone.  Indeed I wonder how else I can help these folks so we have these much loved toys going forward?

So there is one way you might think about it.  And if you agree there is some merit in this possibly overly soppy rant maybe not only stump up your $ to keep the devs alive but also tone back the criticism if only to be a bit nicer to those slaving away on our precious toys?

Now.  Where is that CMSF2 Demo refresh button?!?

.o7

NB: for the record I don't know the devs at all

I love Combat Mission. I will never forget the first time I played CM:BB all those years ago. It was a case of love at first sight. 

However, the lack of patches and the lack of feedback regarding in-development projects is vexing. A monthly update on the main website or the forums about what is being worked on and how things are coming along would be nice. 

Also, I think a lot of people would like to see more being done to improve the visual aspects of the engine, like better explosions,  more stages of building and vehicle destruction and a greater variation of craters, perhaps based on terrain - i.e. no more earthy craters on paved/concrete roads etc.  

Edited by AtheistDane

Better sound effects and better explosions (ok I would be lying if I didn’t also say I wanted a throw grenades option) would do it for me, particularly better sound effects! ChrisND referred to possible new sound effects a while back - I am still hopeful!

Having said that, Combat Mission is the only ‘game’ I have played for the last 10 years, so most of it is perfect already. All I want is a better system to enjoy it to the full. I am still playing euromillions....

1 hour ago, sburke said:

Or possibly just a realistic assessment of what you can or should expect, but we go round and round this circle every product release and it is pretty pointless. No one is ultimately happy and yet it is not likely going to change. 

Is there a middle ground? Could the devs once a month posthow they are getting on, work done, work still to be done. I am sure I would not argue with any of the decisions the devs have taken, as presumably they are motivated to deliver the best product. If they post e.g. they have taken the decision to redo all the artwork for units, and that will mean a delay to release of x weeks, that would be good, no?

"No, we are going to miss late September" is a perfectly reasonable thing for a community to expect by now, if the date will indeed be missed. I don't think Battlefront respects the community enough to provide that though.

Far more important than the release of a new product is that this represents yet another delay to the 4.0 patch. Something that people have already paid for.

Edited by SgtHatred

11 minutes ago, AlexUK said:

Is there a middle ground? Could the devs once a month posthow they are getting on, work done, work still to be done. I am sure I would not argue with any of the decisions the devs have taken, as presumably they are motivated to deliver the best product. If they post e.g. they have taken the decision to redo all the artwork for units, and that will mean a delay to release of x weeks, that would be good, no?

That is up to them and if these continuing threads are any indication they are not interested in changing their stance as they can’t make everyone happy so they go with what they feel is reasonable. You are free to disagee but Steve has stated his rationale several times and it has been consistent. Granted there are times even he feels he has gone too long sine his last bone, but no he isn’t interested in satisfying the refresh monkey craze. 

40 minutes ago, sburke said:

That is up to them and if these continuing threads are any indication they are not interested in changing their stance as they can’t make everyone happy so they go with what they feel is reasonable. You are free to disagee but Steve has stated his rationale several times and it has been consistent. Granted there are times even he feels he has gone too long sine his last bone, but no he isn’t interested in satisfying the refresh monkey craze. 

The problem is, Steve has already decided to go down the line of giving fairly certain dates. If these are not now going to be met, it would be reasonable to get an update? 

2 minutes ago, AlexUK said:

The problem is, Steve has already decided to go down the line of giving fairly certain dates. If these are not now going to be met, it would be reasonable to get an update? 

You KNOW as a matter of course Steve’s dates are always wrong so either learn to accept that or learn to accept you aren’t going to get updates when those dates turn out not to be gospel. Anything else is just giving you an ulcer. I think I even made a joke about it when Steve said September. Honestly I find it hard to believe you guys don’t get that the dates are always optimistic and the refresh monkey stuff starts and the complaints as the day nears knowing in all likelihood it isn’t gonna be quite September.  Talk about flat learning curves. 😁 Steve is not going to send a note. You guys can ask till you turn blue. Not gonna happen so your choice as to what to do next.  Me I just accept it will happen when it happens, but it won’t be a date Steve has told me in advance.

10 minutes ago, Raptorx7 said:

I honestly don't think there is a good excuse for them not telling us it won't be September. Theirs still a couple days left obviously but if they're going to miss it just say something.

How do you know it won't be?  (Mind you I don't know that it will be, for that matter).

1 minute ago, Ultradave said:

How do you know it won't be?  (Mind you I don't know that it will be, for that matter).

Thats why I said "Theirs still a couple of days left obviously" it could absolutely come out in the next couple days. But, if they know they will miss it they should say something.

Edited by Raptorx7

1 hour ago, Aquilas-ESP said:

If they breach their word, they must return the money. You can't charge 120 dollars to thousands of people, and then postpone the game.

Um, see this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/technology/personaltech/video-game-raised-148-million-from-fans-now-its-raising-issues.html

The game Star Citizen was announced in 2012 and raised US$148 MILLION dollars to produce it on Kickstarter and from fans.  The game is still not available.  

So...   Don't worry...  be happy...  (You didn't lose US$148 million.)

However... the Star Citizen con er... producers' approach is interesting.  Fans can sponsor or pay for a spacecraft that that is what funds it.  It's just that the game is seems to be in permanent development and is never completed.  

However, BF actually has a fully-functioning game.  So, in CM for example, BF could put a price on individual vehicles, and if enuff people wanted and were prepared to pay an amount for it, (think of all the folks here who keep making requests for this or that) then that vehicle (or feature) would appear in the game.  (Probably, a funder would receive the code that activated the add-on pack that included the vehicle.)

Just a thought...

Edited by Erwin

1 hour ago, Aquilas-ESP said:

If they breach their word, they must return the money. You can't charge 120 dollars to thousands of people, and then postpone the game.

Anyone with a little seriousness would have deigned at least to comment, because they have gone through the price of the game a lot.

Breach their word?  When exactly did Steve "give his word" that it would absolutely be out Sept?  What I recall is this.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, Battlefront.com said:

I definitely appreciate customers want to be informed about when things are/aren't happening.  We do like you to be informed, unfortunately after 20 years of doing this it doesn't get any easier to make predictions.  The problem is every time I post some sort of update people pester me to make a new release date estimate.  When that comes and goes people want another one.  And if that one comes and goes, I'm pushed to make another one.  I've found it's usually better to say nothing as much as possible.  In the end customers are not better/worse informed because no matter what I do and do not say the game will only get released when it's ready.  And even I don't know when that is until about 10 minutes before it goes live.

Steve 

You guys really need some other interests.  

Edited by sburke

Jerks, plenty of them to be found, It appears some have gathered here.

I just did my pre-order, knowing true and well, that it need not be given too early. Now if I see something in the next 6 weeks, I will feel good about my timing.

Now, those of you who have parted with your money sooner, I thank you, Steve needed food on the table so he might have just enough energy to maybe finish this project and get it in our hands.

As a few wise ones have pointed out, being jerks does nothing but maybe push these guys someday to move on to something else to make money instead of having to do this.

So learn to appreciate what you have, not what you wish for that might never come.

P.s. - two years for a patch, (it would not have been two years if it really had a issue.)

I just finished a battle where my opponent rained arty on me for twenty minutes. Had my troops hold their ground, no fleeing, no mass losses, no issues.

If you know the commands and how they work, you get the results. (no sharing on how to do it, since it can be found on this site). As for other issues, most is minor stuff.

2 hours ago, Aquilas-ESP said:

Anyone with a little seriousness would have deigned at least to comment, because they have gone through the price of the game a lot.

This is a ridiculous overreaction and not helpful. All you do when you go overboard like this is give the denizens of this place that seem so desperate to defend every action Battlefront makes meat to chew on. Don't do it. Also, don't pre-order digital goods unless you are getting something really good for doing so.

On 8/2/2018 at 10:11 PM, Battlefront.com said:

I definitely appreciate customers want to be informed about when things are/aren't happening.  We do like you to be informed, unfortunately after 20 years of doing this it doesn't get any easier to make predictions.  The problem is every time I post some sort of update people pester me to make a new release date estimate.  When that comes and goes people want another one.  And if that one comes and goes, I'm pushed to make another one.  I've found it's usually better to say nothing as much as possible.  In the end customers are not better/worse informed because no matter what I do and do not say the game will only get released when it's ready.  And even I don't know when that is until about 10 minutes before it goes live.

Steve

This reminds me of Kerberos Productions with Sword of the Stars 2. That game was launched busted on release, with the producer claiming that the code "exploded", which is why SotS2 was inoperable at launch. At no point does video game software ever become "explosive". Similarly, I find the idea that a shop as small as Battlefront, there are people who don't know when release is until about 10 minutes before hand, unbelievable. 

If you say "Late September", it's not unreasonable for people to expect an update when that goal is no longer feasible. You don't have to come up with a new explanation or date while doing so, but it's pretty disrespectful to string people along who are expecting a release.

Especially because this is also holding back needed fixes for titles that have already been released.

Edited by SgtHatred