Changing light

Yes, the lighting is dynamic and realistically portrays the sun and moon positions and light intensity for the time of year, the geographical region, the time of day and the weather conditions.

The weather conditions are not dynamic but are preset.

Both have a huge impact on battle.

To quote BFC's blurb " Fight in a wide range of weather and lighting conditions, all of which realistically impact fighting abilities ".

One of the amazing features of CM imho.

Thank's for replying. Yes certainly an amazing feature, I think probably unique in PC Wargaming. May restart my senario again and move troops up under cover of darkness. I am just gettng back into Combat mission after a long break, I used to  play Barbarossa to Berlin "quite badly" back in the day. So looking forward to the new module for Red Thunder.

Anyway thanks again for letting me know.

14 hours ago, StefanKollers said:

Hi just made up my own scenario. I have set the start time to 7am....September so it's still quite dark. The battle is 2 hours long, what I was wondering does the light change as the battle progresses, or does it stay the same ? I have not come across anything like this on the Forums, so I thought I would ask.

If you have time and interest to check, google for sunrise time on the actual date of your scenario battle.  Then in Scenario Editor mode, "play" as many turns necessary to get to that time.  You should see the sky grow lighter in the east within the game as the time of dawn approaches. 

Thank's for the information. I am using "Normandy and Commonwealth forces using latest engine 4. In this case that doesn;t help me. I will have to put them in Half tracks or Lorries, or use a Motor Battalion.

Hopefully in the future the Developers make a module for FB to include British and Commowealth forces also the ability to have my lads ride on Tanks , although dismount before getting in "the thick of it".

Stephen.

I recall working on a 'sunset' scenario for CMSF1 (about 9 years ago!). During gameplay the scene would get progressively darker until it inexplicably got lighter again. It was driving me crazy. Then I checked that lunar calendar. That date, that time was a full moon rise at exactly the time the scenario was set for. They had correctly nailed the lunar cycle!

A bit of a self plug here.

The changing light conditions is actually a factor in one the scenarios I made. :)

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cm-battles-for-normandy/mg-joes-bridge/

It's likely more of an issue for WW2 titles when there isn't any night vision option available. That being said, does anyone know if there is a scripted light conditions/time determined in the modern family titles where troops will 'auto-equip' their night vision gear and vice versa?

This game has some amazing light effects. I was watching some video's by "Josey Wales" Final Blitzkrieg. The battle "I think was around dusk. The light on the snow was brilliant. In fact watching some of the videos prompted me to look again at a game that was "gathering cobwebs". I updated the Engine and bought The Red Thunder and Final Blitzkrieg modules. I am toying with buying the Vehicle pack, for Normandy module.

I like the scenario editor and making my own battles, although I gain inspiration from those that came with the game. My battles are a little to big at the moment. One gets carried away in the editor.

I have also watched several of your videos, I hope you make some more regarding design. I did watch the excellant series by Preambulator....Several times. The odd thing is most of my maps seem to resemble the rolling country of the Yorkshire dales ! Memories of my walking days .

By the way, even the shadows wander (in the other titles - I don't know about CM:BN). If you're playing in the evening, the shadows will be cast eastwards, if you're playing in the morning, they're cast westwards, etc. I don't think shadows play a role for camouflage/spotting though. That would be too badass. ;) 

10 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

That being said, does anyone know if there is a scripted light conditions/time determined in the modern family titles where troops will 'auto-equip' their night vision gear and vice versa?

There definitely is a decision made on if night vision is used and it is reflected in the animation. What I don't know is if you start off in dark conditions and let the clock go if the guys will decide at some point to switch from night vision to Mk 1 eye balls and how that is animated. I wonder...

7 hours ago, Kaunitz said:

I don't think shadows play a role for camouflage/spotting though. That would be too badass. ;) 

Correct the individual shadows do not play a factor but the lighting conditions do at a higher level so they are accounted for - just not on a this guy is in the light and this guy is not level. I agree that would be badass.