CMBO-From out of the Dust

[

B]I will admitt I did miss a very important detail in the briefing and assumed we started on oppisite sides of the river.

This is not so uncommon, I have been amazed at how little many gamers pay attention to the briefings. Many of my wins in PBEM come because the other fellow did not catch the information needed out of the briefings that is important. I have sent out files and forgot to send a briefing before and no question was asked until after we were playing the game. It was a accident, but why would anyone setup without asking where is a briefing. I know some might not provide them, if that is the case, it is not a scenario, it is trash, might as well play a good quick battle then. I also know from playing others creations, how many scenarios are written that intentionally lead the player into incorrect decisions. I think this is totally wrong and poor game design. I do not want to hear how this is like real life either. If the designer has to try to fool the player into a poor choice, That is plain crap! A good design is to create a situation that is challenging but always gives the player some options, so the player is the one that makes the choices that leads to success or failure. So if a designer writes a briefing that will lead someone that follows it into a poor position, there should always be somewhere in the briefing a line that gives the player the option to make the changes in tactics as he see its. This can be done in many ways. This is a pet peeve of mine, I take the briefings just as real orders and weigh what is being said. So believe me, I know how poor some are written. So I understand why many player might not value them because of it.

In real life from my experence in the service, most information passed down was correct, might be outdated at times. If it was not knowledge, then it was most time directly stated that it was a assumption in one way or another. This would normally bring questions on how that assumption was made and that information was sometimes shared. It was seldom a problem getting totally incorrect information. The problem was how the infomation was used by those in command.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u8led i too made the same mistake but largely though not totally recovered from it. I planned to rush a couple of AT guns and a platoon of infantry down the woods on the right of the map to watch the bridge with the VL location on it. Imagine my horror when at turn 1 I saw German infantry in the woods, my two AT guns on the back of trucks and 5 minutes away from unlimbering.

I would be interested to see how this map plays in AK with cover arcs. I think that this would give the defender a much bigger advantage as you could more naturally control your AT guns.

As for Panzers on the prowl, i'm not sure yet that I am going to win. At one stage I was reasonably certain I had good positions with room to move reinforcements up out of LOS and swap forces from flank to flank.

This has no disapered and I am rather stuck with what to do next. At this stage Bert is still holding the big VL while I hold the three small ones. This could well be the way the game ends with 10 turns to go.

This represents what I think is a plus for the scoring system. Depending on what other Axis players are doing it may be worth my while to consolidate my limited objectives and leave the big flag. However, doing that risks other axis players acting agressively, taking more losses but securing the big VL. We will have to see.

cheers

Will

Originally posted by melb_will:

u8led i too made the same mistake but largely though not totally recovered from it. I planned to rush a couple of AT guns and a platoon of infantry down the woods on the right of the map to watch the bridge with the VL location on it. Imagine my horror when at turn 1 I saw German infantry in the woods, my two AT guns on the back of trucks and 5 minutes away from unlimbering.

I would be interested to see how this map plays in AK with cover arcs. I think that this would give the defender a much bigger advantage as you could more naturally control your AT guns.

Wow! You must be my long lost twin. I did the same opening move as I thought the key was to delay them at the bridges. Through away a platoon, 2 guns, and 3 trucks. What kind of static defense would not have had that bridge covered or at least observed?

I am in the same situation as Melb_Will in the marsh map pretty much. Marsh map has been my favorite battle of the tourney mostly because my opponent and I have been flanking, and then flanking the flanking, and outflanking that. Great fun and he has put a hurt on more than one platoon.

Fog map :-(

Not fond of night battles to begin with, but watching my so called crack squads act like conscripts with instant panic mode has sucked the fun out. Looking forward to the end of that one also.

-U8led

[ November 19, 2005, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: U8led ]

Well I have lost the above game. Fell victim to the my own stratergy described above. Also did not use me reinforcements that well. There were two major turning points. 1st my attempt to take the woods on the right took to AT guns out of play along with my failure to exploit my AT gun on the left,(had it on hide with ambush on the road and the enemy tanks were on teh other side of the road.)

2nd my artillery barrages which I think saved my bacon.

End score 42 to 58 congrats Fiaros but I consider myself very lucky. your tactics were far superior especially your urban renewal which took me by surprise.

I would be interested to hear how other allied troops approached this map

cheers

Will

Originally posted by melb_will:

but I consider myself very lucky. your tactics were far superior especially your urban renewal which took me by surprise.

I would be interested to hear how other allied troops approached this map

cheers

Will

How would ya like to face the top rated player in the tourney as the Allies in that one? Then add in my intel misunderstanding, thus throwing away very limited assets and the stage is set for combat depression.

Thank goodness its not real.

-U8led

Has anyone heard from Warhammer in the past week. I sent him the final turn in Panzers in the Peel, but I'm still waiting for the final file with my score (despite a number of emails)...and it's driving me crazy not knowing

Considering I show you playing warhammer the Norrey battle - You already have me confused. But as the German, you will have needed to snatch the town most likely to be successful. If the British manage to hold the town, I have a hard time believing you will post a score that will benefit you.

"It's driving me crazy" implies initial sanity.
HA, I know I can count on you Chris for a quirky comment like that :D:Dtongue.gif

Ops my bad, it is the Norrey battle :rolleyes: I did get an email from Warhammer yesterday asking for the file from me which I then sent...still waiting for the bounce file. I'm beginning to think there may be a problem with my email's to him :confused: hopefully we can get it sorted in the near future :cool:

Warhammer, if you're out there, I'm trying :(

Hi Slysniper. Still no final file from Warhammer despite quite a number of emails from home and three from my work. I did get a response to a work email saying that he hadn’t received any of the emails I’d sent from home, but still nothing despite sending the final file via work.

It’s been almost 2 weeks since I first sent the move and all I need is the final file which shows my score…

At present I’m at a loss as to where to go from here…any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :confused: :confused: