Counter-Mortar Fire Too Accurate For WW2

I have to say the counter mortar fire, firing at an opposing force mortar unit is too much like the modern combat games. I just don't think that happened here this early in the time frame.... There are sophisticated computers today that are used to triangulate and track the round and  where the fire is coming from today, especially if it is unseen and far away.  Back then this was just non existent guys.

?? There is no counter battery fire in CM games. None. If there are two opposing mortar teams on map they might end up firing at each other but this is *not* counter battery fire and does *not* use tracking of rounds or anything like that.

There have been several debates about the accuracy of direct mortar fire. My recollection is that if the mortar team can see a target themselves they can drop rounds pretty much right on top in fairly short order.

Is this from some pbem?  The AI doesn't counter fire at all so unless you are playing a human opponent, not sure what this is in reference to and as Ian noted if you are playing a human opponent it isn't really counter fire anyway.  More than likely it is direct fire as your location is exposed and again as Ian noted direct fire from a mortar can be very accurate.

13 hours ago, user1000 said:

over 75% of the time when my team fires off mortars they have return mortar fire.

Is it possible you're putting your mortar teams in very opportune "NO MORTARS HERE, I SWEAR!" positions?

Sometimes too good heavy weapons positions are too good to be true. The scenario designer making them as potential pit falls for the LOS connoisseur.