9-11 Event

Erwin

close...

Hey SS... Isn't it funny that the "Like" scores were created so that those who felt they were "more equal than others" and deserved more status, attention and respect on these forums would be identified and listened to while us "lesser mortals" would be shut down...  And now we both have high scores LOL.  Am waiting for someone to decide that these scores are meaningless and not such a great idea after all.

Edited by Erwin

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:14 PM, Erwin said:

Am waiting for someone to decide that these scores are meaningless and not such a great idea after all.

Remember when the reputation system was turned off entirely because people were mass-downvoting other members they didn't like?

It should have died then, and stayed dead.

I remember. I was one of the people that had one guy go outta his way to downvote every and every post i made, opinion, game mechanics, real life, even just anyone want a pbem?

Crazy. Whatever yeah i agree it should have stayed dead. For example one of the most intelligent posters Ive ever encountered on the boards JasonC, I havent seen post in years so Im assuming he.d have 0 points which would be incredibly deceptive to his vast knowledge.  It also favors heavy posters and - I admit people like me -who sometimes post stuff thats really nothing - like thanking someone, making a dumb assed joke or the like.  Some of the best posters on here disappear a lot, go on deployment ( i believe codename duchess is deployed or recently was god bless him) or only come out to post sparingly or if summoned like a genie (panzersauerkrautwerfer )

Though to be fair, is this -in my opinion- something that at the moment Id want to see BFC spend even 10 minutes on again? No Id rather they just stop messing around with it leave it and hurry up with more games! 

Compliment returned... 

If we keep this up we could end up having a huge number of upvotes which will then guarantee that our opinions become important, we are treated with the respect we deserve, and have all other members here hanging on our every word!  Finally!!!!!!!

^_^

Am not sure I should vote for Gen Ripper as he's starting to get close to my number of upvotes and that will affect my status. 

Oh, to hell with it.  I will give Ripper's last post (only) an upvote as well!

(But, nothing for Sgt. Squirrel as am trying to catch up!)

Edited by Erwin

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, Erwin said:

Am not sure I should vote for Gen Ripper as he's starting to get close to my number of upvotes and that will affect my status.

Oh, to hell with it.  I will give Ripper's last post (only) an upvote as well!

(But, nothing for Sgt. Squirrel as am trying to catch up!)

To my mind, the only thing important about someone is the date they joined the forums.

That's all that really matters, were you here long enough to know what the heck you're talking about... ;)

11 hours ago, General Jack Ripper said:

To my mind, the only thing important about someone is the date they joined the forums.

That's all that really matters, were you here long enough to know what the heck you're talking about... ;)

Oooh idk if you wanna do that. Thatd put me at the top of the list for almost 80% of the people here. I was lurking from september 99 made an account in like may 00 when the gold BO demo got released.

Im inherently suspicious of anything that places me in the top rank - im waaay to cynical and self effacing to accept that ;)

I will admit though that join date is so old now I keep this account I made when i was friggin 15 (lol) and named after my favorite band. I wish Id had the good taste and epic handle of Gen Ripper with that pic, I forget if its from his 'fluoridation of water speech' or when he was on the base PA system..

But ya always liked ur handle

Edited by Sublime

10 minutes ago, Sublime said:

I will admit though that join date is so old now I keep this account I made when i was friggin 15 (lol) and named after my favorite band. I wish Id had the good taste and epic handle of Gen Ripper with that pic, I forget if its from his 'fluoridation of water speech' or when he was on the base PA system..

You can always change in in your user cp. I did.

I used to be called SLIM, after an old childhood nickname.

Oh thanks I didnt know that. Still Ill leave it, not feeling really clever right now.

So you.re slim huh? I remember you well, no wonder I like your posts etc, I always liked ur other posts as SLIM. Glad youre still around once I read the name it clicked..

Yeah changing your name and profile picture does open things up for some goofy interactions. I get that people make mistakes / regret their names - I did and changed mine (long long ago). I know some people like to change their avatars too but I prefer people not do that frequently. I like to be able to recognize people. Slim changing his name and not his avatar allowed me to keep the connection in my mind - thanks.

Oh and I am probably the one that had the voting system turned back on. After a recent forum upgrade I asked Steve if there was an option to only allow up voting. Since the real problem we had was the down voting I figured that could work. Seems like he agreed. I think it has been good. Sure I'll admit that some people get up votes for being clever and witty - which I fail at regularly :D I still like to be able to signal my appreciation when someone is helpful.

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

I was lurking from september 99 made an account in like may 00 when the gold BO demo got released.

The Board officially lists me as registering as of Feb. 9, 1999, but I was registered on the BTS board sometime in 1997, so I think I predate everybody here now. Maybe. Except Steve and Charles of course.

Michael

Yeah you absolutely predate everyone then.

I forget where I heard about it but I read an AAR and I was utterly fascinated. I immediately was disappointed the infantry was abstracted, I do remember that, but during the AAR at one point a rivers crossed because it was frozen over and I was hooked.

Id lurk on the board somewhat and really liked the vibe, when I actually was playing the gold demo and waiting for my copy to arrive. Thats when I occasionally started posting but I was never prolific at all until CMx2. I did have a major burst of activity around 03 with CMBB. Back to BO, I remember actually getting the manual in the mail with the cd (it was square with the manual) shrink wrapped around it. It was right around the DDay anniversery that year (2000) and it was a great day. 

The most memorable and best CMx1 release in my opinion was CMBB.  I took a long hiatus and never got AK and missed the release of SF (luckily lol) and when I came back I first actually got Afghanistan. The 1:1 modelling was the only thing from CMx1 I had considered a glaring issue and that being adressed I got the entire SF family except the Brits (always a regret) and so on and so forth.

Anyways that was probably a very boring post to read sorry - I do miss some of the old timers and I wonder what became of them like Fionn Kelly or JasonC for example.

I also remember when the close combat makers came here, what was it like 6 months after BO was out?- and actually were complete douchebags. I was relaly disappointed I had been a fan of it all to CC3, though 2 with the grand campaign was by far the best.  But yes I was relaly surprised and shocked by one of CCs creators coming off as utterly just jealous and arrogant. And he really couldnt make any coherent points on why CC was better or even why it had to be a contest and he was here. It really was like... Akward I was almost embarrassed for him. Worst still he trolled the site for a little while after.

20 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

The Board officially lists me as registering as of Feb. 9, 1999, but I was registered on the BTS board sometime in 1997, so I think I predate everybody here now. Maybe. Except Steve and Charles of course.

Michael

Mr. Emrys, you were already an old man when I got here, and I got here 15 years ago.

Oh god, I think I'm getting old!

19 hours ago, Sublime said:

Anyways that was probably a very boring post to read sorry - I do miss some of the old timers and I wonder what became of them like Fionn Kelly or JasonC for example.

I do too, but apparently Steve has a long memory too.

I wasn't present for the Fionn Kelley fiasco, (not having internet access at the time) but from the few scattered tidbits I pulled together, it was a veritable storm of invective.

I forget where I heard about it but I read an AAR and I was utterly fascinated. I immediately was disappointed the infantry was abstracted, I do remember that, but during the AAR at one point a rivers crossed because it was frozen over and I was hooked.

For me, all it took was a picture of a platoon of halftracks, driving towards a patch of woods. Only having experience with 2D and Isometric strategy games made me look upon some true 3D halftracks with something approaching a religious experience. I came straight over to the site and bought CMBB, didn't even think about it. I don't regret it either.

The most memorable and best CMx1 release in my opinion was CMBB.

Did you ever finish 'To The Volga'? I gave it a real go once, but after about 4 days of plugging away at it I had to quit.